Burson Buffer

Bigfish

Burson Buffer
« on: 28 Sep 2007, 08:05 pm »
I am not certain if I am posting this thread in the correct circle but I am certain the Facilitator will move it if not.  Anyway, I received an unmodified Burson Buffer today that I purchased from John of Black Sand Cable.  My system consists of:

Source:  Bolder Analog Modded S3 with Platinum Caps and Modded linear Elpac Power Supply
Preamp:  Odyssey Candela with stock tubes
Amps:  Odyssey Mono SEs
Speakers:  SP Tech Timepiece 2.1s
ICs - Grover Graphites
PCs - Black Sands Silver Mark V
SCs - Gregg Straley Reality Cables

Setup:  S3 to Burson Buffer to Preamp to Amps

Initial impressions of the Burson Buffer - Wow!! :thumb:

Soundstage is definitely larger and there is more detail to the sound.  The top-end is a little bright but John told me to expect that out of the box and that it will improve significantly as the unit breaks in.  Bass is definitely tighter and you can distinctly hear every instrument.  I definitely feel this little unit makes a huge impact on the sound from my Squeezebox.  Next step will be to try the S3 connected to the Burson Buffer then direct to the amps!!

This purchase rates three thumbs up! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Ken
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2007, 09:14 pm by Bigfish »

DSK

Re: Burson Buffer
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2007, 08:43 pm »
Ken, was there any change in macrodynamics & slam? Any sense of the music being more effortless?

Bigfish

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2007, 09:14 pm »
Ken, was there any change in macrodynamics & slam? Any sense of the music being more effortless?

I apologize as I am new to this hobby and am still learning the audio terminology.  The sound stage is definitely wider and the sound of the instruments are more crisp.  I think the music sounding more effortless is a good way of describing it.  I would describe the bass as more distinct and maybe a tighter sound.

BPape, Double Ugly, Wayne of Bolder and John of Black Sands have all heard the Burson Buffer and recommended it to me.  Some of the guys have recently heard units modded by Wayne and the sound is reported to be another step-up in improvement!  These guys have not steered me wrong as the sound from my system is definitely improved.  This improvement is very noticable.  I guess I will be in line to send Wayne this buffer for some mods when I save a few $$$.   :thumb:

Double Ugly

« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2007, 09:23 pm »
I'm glad you're happy with the purchase, Ken!  Congrats! :thumb:

It made a big difference in my system, but since I don't use a preamp, I wasn't sure how the addition would affect your system.  Luckily (for both of us! :wink: ), it seems you're hearing many of the same improvements! 

Congrats again, and please be sure to expand on your comments as you become more familiar with your new toy.  :D

DSK - What I noticed was a clearly perceptible increase in the pace of the music, which I suppose can be defined being more effortless.  Long story short, it would honestly be easy to say *everything* sounded better; macro- and microdynamics were better, pace was better and both visceral and aural dynamics (slam?) were better in my system.

My wife *LOVED* it!  aa

I'll end up with one, but I'm holding out for a Buffer-based preamp.  If that doesn't happen, I'll get a 'standard' Buffer anyway.  After what I heard in my system, it's a no-brainer for me.

arthurs

« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2007, 09:29 pm »
A Buffer that attenuated up and down would be a great thing to have around regardless of your system iteration....

BRN

« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2007, 07:47 am »
Is this the Bolder modded Burson buffer?

Bigfish

« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2007, 12:40 pm »

My Burson Buffer has no modifications, yet.  Guys that have heard a stock Buffer compared to Bolder modded Buffer claim the modded Buffer is definitely better.  I was just startled at the improvement this little gizmo makes to the sound from my system, right out of the box. :D  However, yes the Buffer will be on my wish list to send to Wayne to have him work his magic. aa

Ken

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2007, 02:06 pm »

My Burson Buffer has no modifications, yet.  Guys that have heard a stock Buffer compared to Bolder modded Buffer claim the modded Buffer is definitely better.  I was just startled at the improvement this little gizmo makes to the sound from my system, right out of the box. :D  However, yes the Buffer will be on my wish list to send to Wayne to have him work his magic. aa

Ken

There is most certainly a significant improvement going from a stock Burson to a Bolder Cable modified one.

It will be money well spent.

George

spud

« Reply #8 on: 8 Oct 2007, 04:48 pm »
 Stock its a winner. Modified by Bolder its a blessing. Now if someone could make the SB3 with a tubed Buffer or Pre in one box, well now were talking.

spud

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 8 Oct 2007, 05:36 pm »
Stock its a winner. Modified by Bolder its a blessing. Now if someone could make the SB3 with a tubed Buffer or Pre in one box, well now were talking.

spud

You mean like this:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=46034.0

George

spud

« Reply #10 on: 8 Oct 2007, 07:50 pm »

spud

You mean like this:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=46034.0

George

Cool, indeed. thanks for the link.

spud