Can JRiver be used to Control BDP-2

Samurai7595

Can JRiver be used to Control BDP-2
« on: 6 Dec 2014, 02:55 am »
Is there a way to configure JRiver (Windows 7 laptop) to control the Bryston BDP-2 player?

If so, how would you configure JRiver to do this (I have my music on a USB stick connected to the BDP-2 and also have the Bryston BDA-2 DAC) ?

Phil A

Re: Can JRiver be used to Control BDP-2
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2014, 04:36 am »
Is there a way to configure JRiver (Windows 7 laptop) to control the Bryston BDP-2 player?

If so, how would you configure JRiver to do this (I have my music on a USB stick connected to the BDP-2 and also have the Bryston BDA-2 DAC) ?

James answered it here - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=118615.0

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2014, 05:05 am »
However, JRiver does list this - http://www.jriver.com/linux.html

Samurai7595

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2014, 02:28 pm »
Thanks Phil!

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2014, 02:33 pm »
You're quite welcome.  I actually would like to see this happen as it could be something of real interest to me (would not have to rely on some App that could come or go and not do anything else with my music libary except hook it to a BDP-2).  I really like the JRiver interface.  It is really user friendly.  I have it on the PC wtih an M-Audio 192 Card (not that I do all that much critical listening but with speakers and sub (when I turn it on vs. the speakers in the monitor) it sounds great too and have it on the music server.

Samurai7595

« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2014, 07:54 pm »
On Thursday night, I attended a Computer Audio Seminar at a local audio dealer which was given by people from AudioQuest.

Of course, they were "pushing" their cables but their demo was pretty impressive,  They had a MacBook Pro with an external hard drive running JRiver and they were streaming from the laptop to a dCS DAC + Moon integrated + Sonus Faber speakers.  Then they used JRiver to stream from the laptop to an Audio Research digital player.

I was impressed both by the sound and the JRiver interface,  Very cool app indeed!   

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2014, 08:20 pm »
On Thursday night, I attended a Computer Audio Seminar at a local audio dealer which was given by people from AudioQuest.

Of course, they were "pushing" their cables but their demo was pretty impressive,  They had a MacBook Pro with an external hard drive running JRiver and they were streaming from the laptop to a dCS DAC + Moon integrated + Sonus Faber speakers.  Then they used JRiver to stream from the laptop to an Audio Research digital player.

I was impressed both by the sound and the JRiver interface,  Very cool app indeed!   

I am a little confused by your statement?  dCS and Audio Research DACs are not "streamers", do you mean they were using a USB connection?  Typically, the term "streaming" is used when one is using Ethernet.  Or was the demo done using a separate Ethernet-SPDIF streaming interface, and which one could that have been?
I know that jRiver can be used as DLNA streamer with jRemote, but one needs an Ethernet compatible device to make this happen.

jimbones

« Reply #7 on: 6 Dec 2014, 09:03 pm »
And JPlay is even better than JRiver

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 6 Dec 2014, 09:19 pm »
And JPlay is even better than JRiver

jPlay has no application when using JRiver as a "streaming" protocal for an Ethernet based system.

Samurai7595

« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2014, 02:44 pm »
I am a little confused by your statement?  dCS and Audio Research DACs are not "streamers", do you mean they were using a USB connection?  Typically, the term "streaming" is used when one is using Ethernet.  Or was the demo done using a separate Ethernet-SPDIF streaming interface, and which one could that have been?
I know that jRiver can be used as DLNA streamer with jRemote, but one needs an Ethernet compatible device to make this happen.

Sorry for the confusion.  They ran 2 demos:
- First demo was with a laptop connecting to the dCS DAC via USB
- Second demo was with the AR streamer (via Ethernet) and the laptop was acting as a server

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 7 Dec 2014, 04:05 pm »
Thanks for clearing that up, I was not aware that AR has a steamer available and will look into that a little more.

mrhyfy

« Reply #11 on: 7 Dec 2014, 05:33 pm »
When using The BDP2 with JRiver, is the BDP2 basically just a renderer?   Seems like like a lot of dough for what it's doing, to me.

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 7 Dec 2014, 05:47 pm »
When using The BDP2 with JRiver, is the BDP2 basically just a renderer?   Seems like like a lot of dough for what it's doing, to me.

What makes it different than using Manic Moose?  If you have JRiver with a music server/PC in your system you remove the music server/PC in favor of the BDP-2 which I don't have doubts is a better audio component.

mrhyfy

« Reply #13 on: 7 Dec 2014, 05:51 pm »
What makes it different than using Manic Moose?  If you have JRiver with a music server/PC in your system you remove the music server/PC in favor of the BDP-2 which I don't have doubts is a better audio component.

So JRiver is installed in the BDP2??

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 7 Dec 2014, 06:06 pm »
So JRiver is installed in the BDP2??

I don't have a BDP.  My initial response to the OP gave James' response that JRiver was for Windows and the BDP uses Linux and then I posted the JRiver page which shows the status of Linux capability for it.  I'm not sure Bryston is going to change from the current software.  I was just commenting that I like the JRiver interface (they have been in business a long time) and would really like it if Bryston would consider it.  Obviously I can't speak for Bryston (but I can wish).  Probably in a few months, I am going to get a second music server (for one back-up audio system).  Obviously something like a BDP-2 using JRiver would be appealing to me before I make that decision and would consider buying one and moving the server I have to the back-up system.  Even if it was not available at that point, it would be something on my wish list down the road as a future upgrade to what I am using.

Norton

« Reply #15 on: 9 Dec 2014, 08:11 am »
In theory the answer is yes.

Jriver  can be easily configured as a DLNA server and the BDP can be enabled  as a DLNA renderer (under Services).

Operating system is irrelevant as Jriver itself will be not be running on your BDP but  (for example) on your PC, Mac or Linux machine.

Jriver will then "see" your BDP as a "Zone" and you can "push" music to it, either from the PC directly or by using Jremote on your iPad.

Alternatively, set the BDP up as a DLNA client and it can "pull" music from your DLNA server (similar in feel to using a network share)

I say in theory simply  because these DLNA features doesn't yet work (on my BDP at least), am told it will be  sorted in next firmware update.

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 9 Dec 2014, 02:19 pm »
Thanks for the input.  I'm still on the fence about an addition to what I have and looking at various things.  So I guess you're saying that the BDP-2 will act basically as a streamer in such a case.  For me I like the JRiver interface, have time invested in ripping and configuring things and anything that is going to be tons of time is out for me.  Something needs to work easily with what I have and be as user friendly.

Norton

« Reply #17 on: 9 Dec 2014, 11:10 pm »
Yes as JRiver is a DLNA server and as the BDP seems to offer various DLNA service options, it should work.
For example my Oppo player is DLNA compliant and I can push music to it from JRiver with no problems.

However, as far as I can tell from my example, the BDP 's  DLNA features aren't yet working, so I guess it's a case of checking with Bryston before purchase.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #18 on: 10 Dec 2014, 08:24 am »
Is the point of using JRiver to play files through the BDP solely for the use of the interface (where the BDP is controlled by JRiver, like a CD drive would be)? Or does JRiver do something more in this scenario?

Norton

« Reply #19 on: 10 Dec 2014, 07:48 pm »
Even though I do also use JRiver, it's not that important a feature for me on the BDP

But I guess the attraction would be to make use of time and energy already invested in organising and tagging your music via JRiver, and to take advantage of the JRemote interface which is quite a bit slicker than MPaD (or at least it seems that way based on my limited exposure to the latter) .