Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

XMAN

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #2020 on: 27 Feb 2017, 02:02 am »
To XMAN,

Strange that it is even slower transferring from an attached ssd. Is the external drive connected via USB2 or esata?

USB2 should be capable of up to about 50 megabytes per second though around 25 megabytes per second is typical. esata is faster.

Ah - I am not sure how you are transferring between the external drive and the internal (if that is what you are doing when you mention the external drive). If you are using a separate computer to do the transfer, mounting both disks on the BDP2 as shared network drives, then maybe the files are going via the external drive, over the network to your computer, and then back over the network to your internal drive. I am not sure if it works like that, but that could explain why it is half the speed of transferring from your computer to the internal drive of the BDP2.

So as unincognito says it is likely networking that is limiting things. If you use gigabit everywhere (gigabit switch, cat5e or cat6 or better ethernet cables, and gigabit network card on your computer (rather than wireless)) you should be able to get more than 11 megabytes per second transfers. If you are using 100 megabits per second devices or cables (cat5), then your speed is limited to around 10.5 megabytes per second or less.

- - -

A side note - that you can probably ignore. One other thing that can drastically reduce writing speed to SSD drives is if they are not partitioned as 4k aligned. This is less of a problem now as most modern operating systems partition drives as 4k aligned now so it is unlikely that this is a problem in your case. Though if you already have full gigabit networking then this could be worth looking into.

Anthony

i have the external SSD drive in a usb 3 case attached to the BDP and controlling it though my desk top via a cat 6a cable.  I thought the data would transfer locally ie at the BDP but i was thinking exactly what you think it's being moved though my desk top then back to the BDP it would be nice to know how to confirm this.  I will pack up my desktop and move it closer and see if that helps as i don't have a laptop.  My cat 6a cable is a bit long so that may be it.  Thanks

Cheers X

plurn

« Reply #2021 on: 28 Feb 2017, 08:48 am »
i have the external SSD drive in a usb 3 case attached to the BDP and controlling it though my desk top via a cat 6a cable.  I thought the data would transfer locally ie at the BDP but i was thinking exactly what you think it's being moved though my desk top then back to the BDP it would be nice to know how to confirm this.  I will pack up my desktop and move it closer and see if that helps as i don't have a laptop.  My cat 6a cable is a bit long so that may be it.  Thanks

Cheers X

From memory, cat6a should be fine for 1 gigabit speeds for any length up to 100 meters (about 328 feet). Depending on what sort of computer you have you might be able to determine the connection speed it has negotiated by looking at the network properties on your computer. It may tell you if you are connecting at gigabit speed (1000baseT) or 100 megabit speed (100BASE-T).

Anthony

Marius

« Reply #2022 on: 29 Mar 2017, 07:50 pm »
HI Chris,

Kept forgetting this, so forgive me if this has been around for a while:
Clicking Dashboard takes us to the dashboard, and for a short while shows the big buttons at the bottom of the main window, only a few seconds later to take them out of view. Showing nothing....

I can reload them by clicking the cog-wheel top right. 

Is this expected behavior? can i change that, this seems a bit unnecessary. Maybe it has to do with MM being adaptive and on a mobile device it might be handy to save screen estate. On a desktop, i just like to have these buttons in plain view.

There's a new Dashboard button bottom right, but it only shows while on Dashboard, that is a bit superfluous or what am i missing here? :scratch:

Chers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2023 on: 30 Mar 2017, 01:16 pm »
HI Chris,

Kept forgetting this, so forgive me if this has been around for a while:
Clicking Dashboard takes us to the dashboard, and for a short while shows the big buttons at the bottom of the main window, only a few seconds later to take them out of view. Showing nothing....

I can reload them by clicking the cog-wheel top right.

Is this expected behavior? can i change that, this seems a bit unnecessary. Maybe it has to do with MM being adaptive and on a mobile device it might be handy to save screen estate. On a desktop, i just like to have these buttons in plain view.

There's a new Dashboard button bottom right, but it only shows while on Dashboard, that is a bit superfluous or what am i missing here? :scratch:

Chers,
Marius

Looks like you have dashboard v2 active on a BDP with Bryston DB either turned off or missing a database.  This feature is still in development and can only be turned on or off using the below urls.

http://bryston-bdp-2.local/mpd/chgsettings.php?p=system&v=dashboard&s=2
http://bryston-bdp-2.local/mpd/chgsettings.php?p=system&v=dashboard&s=1

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #2024 on: 30 Mar 2017, 03:56 pm »
Looks like you have dashboard v2 active on a BDP with Bryston DB either turned off or missing a database.  This feature is still in development and can only be turned on or off using the below urls.

http://bryston-bdp-2.local/mpd/chgsettings.php?p=system&v=dashboard&s=2
http://bryston-bdp-2.local/mpd/chgsettings.php?p=system&v=dashboard&s=1

Cheers,
Chris

Thats correct Chris, I've turned off the Bryston DB since on the BDP1 it never finished indexing, and consequently didn't show its glory to full potential.

Ill turn back to dashboard 1 again. What should be the main difference between the two? do you have any screenshots of what i'm missing out on ..?

Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #2025 on: 30 Mar 2017, 03:59 pm »
Thanks that did it!

while we're at the Bryston Db topic: whats exactly would the Artist View v2 do?

Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #2026 on: 5 May 2017, 09:18 pm »
Hi Chris,

Please what was this again?
User space was in a read only state??

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2027 on: 5 May 2017, 10:33 pm »
Hi Chris,

Please what was this again?
User space was in a read only state??

Cheers,
Marius

User space is the partition on the BDP's internal flash that contains user settings, older versions of the user space use fat32 and are more prone to issues and this is one of them.  Resetting global settings will update the userspace to use the ext filesystem, however you'll likley want to backup your setting before doing this.  You can backup your settings by copying the files found in the network share 'user'.

Cheers,
Chris

Pundamilia

« Reply #2028 on: 7 May 2017, 03:40 am »
A question for Chris?

I don't think that I correctly understand how the Info editor in MM saves changes made. After I make a change and click the SAVE button, sometimes (but not always) a little dialog bar pops up saying that "Sorting music into Bryston DB xx%". Does this mean that once I save a change, I do not have to click on the Update button? The percentage counter moves quickly on my BDP-2 until it gets to 98 or 99% where it often hangs for several minutes. Also, some of the values that I have SAVEd (e.g. Artist or Album) appear as a dropdown in the appropriate field the next time I make a change, but many do not. What governs what appears in the dropdown menus? Do I have to do a full DB Update when I start the BDP-2 to ensure that all the changed values get updated in the DB?

Thanks in advance.

Pundamilia

« Reply #2029 on: 7 May 2017, 03:43 am »
Supplementary question:

Is there any difference between the UPDATE button in the upper left-hand corner of the Media Player page and the UPDATE function in the Dashboard under Disk Information?

Thanks again.

Marius

« Reply #2030 on: 12 May 2017, 07:54 am »
User space is the partition on the BDP's internal flash that contains user settings, older versions of the user space use fat32 and are more prone to issues and this is one of them.  Resetting global settings will update the userspace to use the ext filesystem, however you'll likley want to backup your setting before doing this.  You can backup your settings by copying the files found in the network share 'user'.

Cheers,
Chris

Is that done by resetting to factory settings?

Is there a way to tell whether the userspace is already in ext, or still in fat32?

btw, Bryston have advised to format usb drives in fat23 before, should we be reformatting the usb drives to ext now also? (hope not...)

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2031 on: 12 May 2017, 08:57 pm »

Is that done by resetting to factory settings?

Is there a way to tell whether the userspace is already in ext, or still in fat32?

btw, Bryston have advised to format usb drives in fat23 before, should we be reformatting the usb drives to ext now also? (hope not...)

Cheers,
Marius

yes, the factory reset or reset global settings will update the user space to use ext.  you can check the file system in disk information, it should be the second partition on the internal storage (third item from the top).  I wouldn't worry about your usb thumbs drives, we simply switched to ext as a bug that prevented us using fat32 was resolved years ago and we just recently got around to updating the firmware to use it for the "user space".  The advantage is it makes for a more robust system for implementing some of the last few software features for the Manic Moose firmware.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2032 on: 12 May 2017, 08:59 pm »
Supplementary question:

Is there any difference between the UPDATE button in the upper left-hand corner of the Media Player page and the UPDATE function in the Dashboard under Disk Information?

Thanks again.

The update button in disk information allows you to tell the BDP to just scan a single drive for changes in your music library rather then all the drivers (assuming you have more then one drive connected).

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2033 on: 12 May 2017, 09:00 pm »
A question for Chris?

I don't think that I correctly understand how the Info editor in MM saves changes made. After I make a change and click the SAVE button, sometimes (but not always) a little dialog bar pops up saying that "Sorting music into Bryston DB xx%". Does this mean that once I save a change, I do not have to click on the Update button? The percentage counter moves quickly on my BDP-2 until it gets to 98 or 99% where it often hangs for several minutes. Also, some of the values that I have SAVEd (e.g. Artist or Album) appear as a dropdown in the appropriate field the next time I make a change, but many do not. What governs what appears in the dropdown menus? Do I have to do a full DB Update when I start the BDP-2 to ensure that all the changed values get updated in the DB?

Thanks in advance.

Bryston DB needs to be updated to contain the new values, if its not rebuilding you can trigger a rebuild under media player settings.

BigGeek

« Reply #2034 on: 17 May 2017, 12:34 am »
Hi:
Recently I seem to be having trouble with special characters in the paths in my playlists. Any special characters like Honky Château, Déjà Vu, ... don't read properly and don't show up in the play list in Manic moose. They display in weird ways in Soundirok as well.

I didn't have this issue in the past and I don't think that I saved them any differently when editing them in Wordpad either. ANSI is how I save them (or plain text). Anyone else having this issue? If so, am I somehow saving them wrong and need to try something else? I tried Unicode but that went awry and didn't show properly either.

Any help would be appreciated. I am using the may 10 version but I saw this in a few of the previous versions as well.

Richard

BigGeek

« Reply #2035 on: 2 Jun 2017, 07:39 pm »
I managed to "fix" my playlists by reselecting the songs using SoundiRok. When the new titles were added, the special characters were handled properly by manic moose.

It still begs the question: "Why can't I directly edit the playlists using notepad or wordpad or something like that, which I used to be able to do? Is it because of the change to the ext file system for the User Space?"

OTM

« Reply #2036 on: 2 Jun 2017, 10:03 pm »
Hi
I can edit a playlist Ok using Wordpad
Most recent Beta version S2.33 2017-05-26
« Last Edit: 3 Jun 2017, 08:17 am by OTM »

Marius

« Reply #2037 on: 3 Jun 2017, 07:58 pm »
Hi Chris

Seems you've been up to a lot of changes in the latest firmware.

Having all this artist info locally and not on some remote Roon Server dB is an aspect of security and privacy i really appreciate.
I can't see it in my Bdp 1, haven't got artist view because my Bryston DB is not enabled. But based on this description I believe Bryston took a bit of the Plex interface and functionality. Which i really think is the way to go, so thank you for this!
It makes it almost impossible to resist upgrading to the BDP 3 soon...

Would you be able to post some screens of the functionality mentioned here?

Cheers,
Marius

OTM

« Reply #2038 on: 3 Jun 2017, 10:57 pm »

This is what I see right now, a work in progress but I like where Chris is going.
David

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2039 on: 4 Jun 2017, 01:31 am »
Hi Chris

Seems you've been up to a lot of changes in the latest firmware.

I can't see it in my Bdp 1, haven't got artist view because my Bryston DB is not enabled. But based on this description I believe Bryston took a bit of the Plex interface and functionality. Which i really think is the way to go, so thank you for this!
It makes it almost impossible to resist upgrading to the BDP 3 soon...

Would you be able to post some screens of the functionality mentioned here?

Cheers,
Marius

As much as I don't want to kill a bdp-3 sale, I intend to bring some of these features to the default view and the new still under construction dashboard v2.  I don't intend to get to creative about it on the default view, but at least some things will get  included.  Working on identifying similar artists to a selected artist and finding and making use of album booklets should be featured in the next update.

Cheers
Chris