seadogs1

Bass Testing
« on: 30 Aug 2014, 08:15 pm »
Music cuts to test bass

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Re: Bass Testing
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2014, 10:19 pm »
It's a CD, not my favorite medium, but Bella Fleck's "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" will give your woofers quite a workout.

Doc

GT Audio Works

« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2014, 11:43 pm »
Mickey Hart    Planet drum     "Temple caves"
Rusted Root   Cruel Sun    "Artificial winter"
Mokave      Afrique     "Bugle Ann"
Martin Grubinger       Drums and chant    "Introitus ''Ecce, Advenit Dominator Dominus''
David Byrne    The Forest   "Kish"
Emmylou Harris    Spyboy "Where will I be" and "The Maker"
Viktor Krauss II    "Hop"
JJ Grey and Mofro   Country Ghetto..not sure of exact cut.
BRIAN BROMBERG "Wood"
« Last Edit: 1 Sep 2014, 01:39 am by GT Audio Works »

werd

« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2014, 11:47 pm »
Any thing with pipe organs for extension but for prat and resolution this is fabulous

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Bass-2-Ray-Brown/dp/B00005NSWI

Wolfpack85

« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2014, 07:01 am »
The Police 1992 Greatest Hits Australia " Walking on the Moon"

bar code 731454003025

Go find the cd if you can. Recorded very well, great dynamics.  Love the bass on this one.

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 4 Sep 2014, 04:37 pm »
OK so it is pop, and you may not like it, but there is a bass note in Avril Lavigne's "Sk8ter Boi" that absolutely stunned me when I played it on the big system.  Never heard it in the car like THIS.

I like Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Tin Pan Alley" song too.  Excellent plucked electric bass.

Perhaps the Telarc cd 1812 Overature bears mention too. 

And if you are into ambient, there is a cd called Bass Forest - http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/4434663/a/ambient+bass.htm.  Good gracious it will give your sub a workout. 

Wolfpack85

« Reply #6 on: 4 Sep 2014, 04:48 pm »
The Sheffield Lab drum and track disc on xrcd 24bit is another good one to test bass.

rockadanny

« Reply #7 on: 4 Sep 2014, 07:08 pm »

For some Hammond B-3 bass. Added bonus of John Scofield guitar - nothing to do with bass, just makes the whole disc better.

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 4 Sep 2014, 09:48 pm »
Tracy Chapman's first album on vinyl (1988) "Mountains o' Things" side 2, Real low subtle bass, most systems can't resolve it.

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories, the drums are all acoustic even though everything else is electronic.

Yello - One Second (1987) vinyl only, the CD sucks. Every cut is a good bass workout.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #9 on: 4 Sep 2014, 10:03 pm »
Laurie Anderson - Life On A String track 6. The windows will vibrate if your speakers go low enough.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #10 on: 4 Sep 2014, 11:14 pm »
Most Yello is outstanding, but this remix of Goldrush by Tor Saeternes is even better, I think, particularly in the outstanding, powerful, deep yet subtle bass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_3p62uLBXg

For drum sounds, albeit samples, the kick sound on these is hard to beat and sounds completely unlike what is normally heard, because the compression is minimal: http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/video.html

On a good system this will sound more like the real thing than 99.9% of what you are likely to have heard, I'd guess.

For both of these you need truly flat response down to 40Hz - 30Hz would be nice - to fully appreciate them, though flat response to 45 Hz will give you a taste.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #11 on: 5 Sep 2014, 12:15 am »
Music cuts to test bass
"Test" bass....as in, "test your system"...to its limits?
If you're just looking for a torture test of music that contains single digit low frequency notes/tones, there's always a "band" like Bass Mechanik.
It's not music that I'd listen to, but back when I build my Infinite Baffle rig, I wanted something with enough output that I could see if the drywall would crack in my room.
They've got some tracks with LFE down into the single digits. It's low frequency content that will certainly separate the men from the boys when it comes to tactile bass that makes things vibrate, like your hair, pant legs, and liver.

Here's a sample (Note, I'm not sure how well the YouTube version works for a true LFE test):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pvq7DeJvrk

For you more..."classical" folks, here's something you'll find as an absolute sacrilege. But a woofer torture test regardless:  :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J_FLKip4-0

...Granted, it's horrible "music", but works well for its intended purpose of breaking things in the house with subwoofers.

Hope that helps.
Bob

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #12 on: 5 Sep 2014, 12:54 am »
Hope that helps.
Bob

Well, it did help me reduce my prune intake...thanks, Bob :D

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #13 on: 5 Sep 2014, 01:24 am »
Russell reached the "Brown note".  :lol:
Good to know I could help ya, Brother.

mcgsxr

« Reply #14 on: 5 Sep 2014, 02:24 pm »
Bass Mechanik.  Thanks for the memories Bob!  Won't ever forget what one of those CD's did to me during a ride in a buddy's mid 80's VW Golf with a pair of Orion 15's, and 4 Orion 8's, and a 6.5 MB Quart component set driven by some preposterously large 2150SX Orion amp.

Totally redefined bass for me.  Perhaps not audiophile, but when the hair on your neck and arms move, it is an interesting experience!

Ahem, back to actual nice music that has bass content that one might actually play in public!

I like the plucked electric bass line in Natalie Cole's "Don't get around much anymore".

Also Rebecca Pidgeon's "Spanish Harlem".  Stand up bass on that one.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #15 on: 5 Sep 2014, 04:50 pm »
Tracy Chapman's first album on vinyl (1988) "Mountains o' Things" side 2, Real low subtle bass, most systems can't resolve it.

Almost let that one slip by my list...great low end you can feel.

Photon46

« Reply #16 on: 5 Sep 2014, 04:59 pm »
Hovhannes's Mt. St. Helens symphony has some percussion that truly demonstrates your system's capabilities. "And God Created the Great Whales" also has some pretty guttural and awesome bass rumblings as the whale recordings interweave with the orchestra.  The percussion and bass viols on this version of the Rite of Spring by Chailly/Cleveland is very notable for its realistic bass. I've got probably twenty versions of the Rite on both vinyl and cd and Chailly's has truly outstanding sonics on both versions. The vinyl is superior to the cd though, worth seeking out.

WireNut

« Reply #17 on: 5 Sep 2014, 05:03 pm »
Anything by Markus Miller. A bass player........

maxboy00

« Reply #18 on: 5 Sep 2014, 07:46 pm »
Also try Joan Osborne's "What you are" off her "Pretty Little Stranger" CD that tract has a very good consistent bass line through out the track.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #19 on: 7 Sep 2014, 12:38 pm »
Jennifer Warnes    The Hunter   "Way Down Deep"