My biggest gripe with Bryston...

jaxwired

My biggest gripe with Bryston...
« on: 1 Aug 2015, 03:43 am »
The remote.  The BP6 and BP26 are superb preamps but they don't ship with a remote.  And the remote Bryton sells separately is horrible IMO.  The old 3 button Bryston remote was awesome.  Loved that remote.  But the new one is not only too expensive but it's awful to use.  I don't want anything but volume and mute.  Don't give me 20 tiny buttons I'll never use.  And include the remote with the preamp.  It should not be sold separately.  Nobody else does that.  I'm a Bryston fan but they need to fix this. 

mv

Re: My biggest gripe with Bryston...
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2015, 06:05 am »
The remote.  The BP6 and BP26 are superb preamps but they don't ship with a remote.  And the remote Bryton sells separately is horrible IMO.  The old 3 button Bryston remote was awesome.  Loved that remote.  But the new one is not only too expensive but it's awful to use.  I don't want anything but volume and mute.  Don't give me 20 tiny buttons I'll never use.  And include the remote with the preamp.  It should not be sold separately.  Nobody else does that.  I'm a Bryston fan but they need to fix this.

+1

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2015, 11:21 am »

Hi Folks

It is very costly to build a remote as we do with a solid all aluminium case and having a 'Universal' remote that works with all our products is much more cost effective than different remotes for different products due to part differences , inventory etc.

Also most of our customers have more than one of our products so they do not have to invest in separate remotes for each product they purchase from us - BP-26, BP-6, BDA, BDP, CD Player, BP17, B 60, B135 etc.

To include the remote in the BP26 would raise the price and a lot of our customers already have our remote as they have purchased it with other Bryston gear (see above) and do not need a second remote.

You can also use a Learning Remote if you want and we can send you the codes for our remote.

james

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2015, 01:27 pm »
Sounds like a Kickstarter opportunity for someone. A three to five button universal programmable remote in an aluminum case. Might be a limited market though as I think most people would rather have an app these days.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2015, 05:04 pm »
  Not all of us are computer users. A remote in the hand, for me, is a direct connection with my system.   IMO :thumb:

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #5 on: 1 Aug 2015, 05:56 pm »
 my biggest gripe is that after I went to RMAF several yrs ago and met James in the Bryston room and purchased some fab PMC speakers and a 14BSST2 amp then Bryston comes out with a speaker line that I would love to own. I have heard the Model T's and they put my PMC PB1i's (which I really love) to second tier.

Timing is everything ..... as well as the demo as James would say   :D

turnovertherecord

• rain,fog,snow,sun,known to happen on the same day
« Reply #6 on: 1 Aug 2015, 11:14 pm »

I have had this remote and maybe three others with different design case,square corners and a machined down the side,love the ease of use

jaxwired

« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2015, 04:19 pm »
Hi Folks

It is very costly to build a remote as we do with a solid all aluminium case and having a 'Universal' remote that works with all our products is much more cost effective than different remotes for different products due to part differences , inventory etc.

Also most of our customers have more than one of our products so they do not have to invest in separate remotes for each product they purchase from us - BP-26, BP-6, BDA, BDP, CD Player, BP17, B 60, B135 etc.

To include the remote in the BP26 would raise the price and a lot of our customers already have our remote as they have purchased it with other Bryston gear (see above) and do not need a second remote.

You can also use a Learning Remote if you want and we can send you the codes for our remote.

james

I get that.  But make a second 3 button remote for people that just want a simple elegant matching remote.  A 3 button remote could be used with all your preamps and integrateds. You don't need to custom make a different remote for each preamp and integrated.  Same remote could work with every component you sell that has volume.  A slim but solid heavy metal remote with 3 buttons and the bryston logo etched into it. Outsource it to China. Include this 3 button remote with the preamps and integrateds.  Raise the price $100 to cover cost if necessary. 

I don't want to use a cheap plastic universal remote with my 5 figure audio system and the universal remote bryston sells lacks elegance and simplicity.  I really think people care about this.   Just think about it.

Here's a pic of the solid metal remote that comes with a primaluna preamp: 

mkaiser

« Reply #8 on: 2 Aug 2015, 05:21 pm »
  Not all of us are computer users. A remote in the hand, for me, is a direct connection with my system.   IMO :thumb:

+1

mkaiser

« Reply #9 on: 2 Aug 2015, 05:30 pm »
my biggest gripe is that after I went to RMAF several yrs ago and met James in the Bryston room and purchased some fab PMC speakers and a 14BSST2 amp then Bryston comes out with a speaker line that I would love to own. I have heard the Model T's and they put my PMC PB1i's (which I really love) to second tier.

Timing is everything ..... as well as the demo as James would say   :D

So.... sell your PMC's and purchase the Model T. Based on the cost of a new pair of PB1i you would be able to completely afford a new pair of Model T's if you sold the PMC for 8k used. Why settle for second tier, right.  :thumb:

Randy

« Reply #10 on: 2 Aug 2015, 08:35 pm »

Then there's the remote that comes with the Tortuga preamps.  It's a minuscule Apple remote, and it's travesty that it's the remote that comes with such a great preamp.

2 channel man

« Reply #11 on: 2 Aug 2015, 11:46 pm »
I agree I love the simple remote of my B60
The new one is a eye sore kinda Emotivish  :( and not good value
Maybe a slightly simpler up/down/mute and source 4 button?

Doublej

« Reply #12 on: 3 Aug 2015, 12:28 am »
This will solve your gripe. Simple, elegant, aluminum and will come in handy in the near future in more ways than you can think of at the moment.

http://www.amazon.com/Ettore-49036-Grip-n-Grab/dp/B001B13PC2/

R. Daneel

« Reply #13 on: 3 Aug 2015, 11:56 am »
Hi!

Is the 3-button remote control that comes with the B60R made out of aluminium or plastic?

Can it be purchased separately and does it work with a B135?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 3 Aug 2015, 12:06 pm »
Hi!

Is the 3-button remote control that comes with the B60R made out of aluminium or plastic?

Can it be purchased separately and does it work with a B135?

It was aluminium but they are no longer available.  We are looking at the Apple remote and seeing if we can get that to work.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #15 on: 3 Aug 2015, 12:48 pm »
It was aluminium but they are no longer available.  We are looking at the Apple remote and seeing if we can get that to work.

james

Hi James!

Okay. Does this mean B60 no longer comes with a remote?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 3 Aug 2015, 01:22 pm »
Hi James!

Okay. Does this mean B60 no longer comes with a remote?

Cheers!
Antun

Correct - nothing comes with a remote now as the universal is the most cost effect way to produce the kind of remote we do.

james

Hicham

« Reply #17 on: 4 Aug 2015, 12:30 am »

The enjoyment of listening & operating the Bryston Components is matched by the respected BR2.
I have two. A Silver to use with the system, and a Black on the Coffee Table. The Friends always like to hold it and wonder How a Genuine Remote it is. Very ERGONOMIC & Very Beautiful too.

jaxwired

« Reply #18 on: 4 Aug 2015, 03:54 am »

The enjoyment of listening & operating the Bryston Components is matched by the respected BR2.
I have two. A Silver to use with the system, and a Black on the Coffee Table. The Friends always like to hold it and wonder How a Genuine Remote it is. Very ERGONOMIC & Very Beautiful too.

Gotta respond to this.  I'm a bryston fan. They make superb gear.  I've owned a lot of high end brands and bryston is still one of my top 3 favorites.  BUT, to call that remote "ergonomic" calls into question your understanding of the term.  It is decidedly NOT ergonomic.  It has 28 tiny buttons all evenly spaced and all identical.  That is the opposite of ergonomic.  And it ain't beautiful either.  It's a brick.  If you want to see a remote that actually is ergonomic check out the devialet remote. 

RDavidson

« Reply #19 on: 4 Aug 2015, 04:32 am »
The shape and weight of the remote probably feel good, which is a part of what makes an object ergonomic. But in this case, who cares about the feel of the remote when the button size, shape, and layout (the most useful part of the remote) are AWFUL? Note : I studied human factors and ergonomics so I'm quite critical of interface design. I'm sorry, but a $300 remote shouldn't be designed like a pocket calculator. I know there are other bad remotes out there, but I (and likely everyone here) hold Bryston in high regard. This remote is like an afterthought in comparison to the high standard of everything else Bryston makes.