ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

CometCKO

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #80 on: 13 Jun 2008, 03:02 am »
The problem with the MW TP is that its too addictive - I work from home and take the odd break  :oops: which can stretch into an extended listening session.

I can relate to this.  I too work from home, and find myself zoned out, drawn into the music, and where's that report I was working on?  Damn fool hobby. :lol:

Currently listening to Rachael Yamagata (great singer!) using the 6H30-DR signal tubes and a 1 winged "C" 5U3C soviet 5U4 equivalent rectifier.  Bass is a little bit loose compared to the Tung-Sol 5U4-G, but it's early days yet...  Now, where was I?  Oh yeah, back to the report...

cAsE sEnSiTiVe

« Reply #81 on: 13 Jun 2008, 05:15 pm »
I'm running 6H30-DR supertubes and a 1955 Mullard GZ34 metal-base rectifier in my MW TP. My search is finally over. What a marvelous combo! Now I can just sit back and enjoy the music.

JG2

« Reply #82 on: 13 Jun 2008, 05:39 pm »
Case,

I have been waiting for someone to try this fantastic tube in a TP! I know Dan used one at the audio show in Germany and seemed to like it. I use one in my ModWright SWL 9.0 as well as in the PS for a ModWright Sony 9100. You have an early version with the welded plates. I have both versions and have not had the time to compared the welded plate to the folded plate version.

Here is a link to the Philips GZ34 versions:

http://www.tube-classics.de/TC/Tubes/Valvo%20GZ34/GZ34.htm

Enjoy your TP!

modwright

IMPORTANT! GZ32 NOT RECOMMENDED IN TRANSPORTER!
« Reply #83 on: 14 Jun 2008, 07:39 am »
Hi guys, it has come to my attention that at least a couple of you have experienced blown fuses when using the GZ32 rectifier tube with the Transporter.  We confirmed the same here, depending on the tube.  I have reviewed the datasheet and confirmed the reason.  We are using a cap-input filter with the Transporter, rather than a choke input type.  All of the preamps and outboard supplies for the player mods use a choke-inpu filter.

If the first thing that the rectifier sees is a capacitor at its output, there is a large inrush current as the rectifier tube charges the capacitor.  The larger the capacitor, the larger the inrush current.  We are using a pair of 100uf-450V caps in series from B+ to ground, resulting in a net 50uf capacitor as load to the rectifier.  The GZ32 recommends a max 60uf cap, but that is dependant of the resistance of the coil windings and input resistor value.  The GZ34 and 5U4 have similar recommended limitations, but they perform flawlessly.  As a result, I would simply recommend AGAINST the use of the GZ32/5V4 tubes in the Transporter.

The only thing that may happen, if the GZ32 rectifier is used, is that the 3A SB fuse may blow and need to be replaced.  This does not in any way damage the unit or tube, but does require removal of the lid of the Transporter to access 3A SB fuse on the mod tube board.  It is a 5x20mm size fuse.

Thanks,

Dan W.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #84 on: 14 Jun 2008, 12:00 pm »
Thanks Dan.

I have been using a NOS Philips 1966 GZ32 with no problems (knock on wood).

Can a GZ33 be used in the TP?

George

Philistine

« Reply #85 on: 14 Jun 2008, 12:54 pm »
I also have a Philips GZ32 NOS 1966 that came from Tube World, with no problems.
I'm assuming its OK to keep using it (at my risk).

Those metal base GZ34's are now priced more than I'm prepared to pay, the last one I monitored on EBay went for $270 (used), it would be fun to try one though.

mikel51

Re: IMPORTANT! GZ32 NOT RECOMMENDED IN TRANSPORTER!
« Reply #86 on: 14 Jun 2008, 01:27 pm »
Hi guys, it has come to my attention that at least a couple of you have experienced blown fuses when using the GZ32 rectifier tube with the Transporter.  We confirmed the same here, depending on the tube.  I have reviewed the datasheet and confirmed the reason.  We are using a cap-input filter with the Transporter, rather than a choke input type.  All of the preamps and outboard supplies for the player mods use a choke-inpu filter.

If the first thing that the rectifier sees is a capacitor at its output, there is a large inrush current as the rectifier tube charges the capacitor.  The larger the capacitor, the larger the inrush current.  We are using a pair of 100uf-450V caps in series from B+ to ground, resulting in a net 50uf capacitor as load to the rectifier.  The GZ32 recommends a max 60uf cap, but that is dependant of the resistance of the coil windings and input resistor value.  The GZ34 and 5U4 have similar recommended limitations, but they perform flawlessly.  As a result, I would simply recommend AGAINST the use of the GZ32/5V4 tubes in the Transporter.

The only thing that may happen, if the GZ32 rectifier is used, is that the 3A SB fuse may blow and need to be replaced.  This does not in any way damage the unit or tube, but does require removal of the lid of the Transporter to access 3A SB fuse on the mod tube board.  It is a 5x20mm size fuse.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Interesting,  I haven't tried a GZ32, but I was interested in trying one after reading some comments about their sound on this board.  I actually ordered a Phillips Miniwatt from Kevin Deal at upscale audio, based on his description of the sound (on his web site).  Before shipping, Kevin sent a note cautioning me about using it in a circuit not especially designed for it--and he talked me into just sticking with my old coke bottle Tung Sol 5UGB.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #87 on: 14 Jun 2008, 02:05 pm »
I replaced a fat base Mullard GZ34 last night with my latest Tung Sol 5U4G.  After about an hour of warm up I settled in for what I can describe as the best sound yet (with my Bent TAP preamp; the 36.5 front end isn't due back till Wednesday).  It has a sound that is both deep and wide, yet with nice dynamics and detail.  Very nice so far.  Of course the signal tubes are the  DR's.

I've run my Philips Mullard (June 1966) GZ32 with no problems.  It's one of my faves.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #88 on: 14 Jun 2008, 02:37 pm »
Guys,

What are the sonic differences between a Tung-Sol 5U4G and Tung-Sol 5U4GB?

George

Philistine

« Reply #89 on: 14 Jun 2008, 02:56 pm »
At some point we need to throw in a few more variables - just to keep it simple  :duh: and that is cryoing.
I had a pair of cryoed tubes with my 999ES, and have a pair with the TP, I cannot really comment on the value of doing this with so few data points.  Some tube vendors take scarce tubes and cryo them, I'm not sure if this increases their sonic performance or not - all I do know is that it inceases the cost.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #90 on: 14 Jun 2008, 02:58 pm »
George,
I'll tell you in 2 weeks or so when I swap the TS G for one of my TS GB's.  My memory says the GB is warmer but less open and airy.  That data is worth about $.02.  I need to write this stuff down.  :duh:

JG2

« Reply #91 on: 14 Jun 2008, 04:53 pm »
Phil,

Be patient and you will find a tested metal base GZ34. Dan snagged his GZ34 recently as a 'Buy it Now' for less than $150 and I have found 7 for under $200. Search E-Bay Germany for the Valvo (Philips production) or E-Bay Netherlands. The Philips, Mullard, Miniwatt and Valvo branded GZ34 are are Philips production and the same tube. As these were made in Holland, you can find some pretty sweet deals if you search these sites.

Good luck!

Philistine

« Reply #92 on: 14 Jun 2008, 05:29 pm »
Phil,

Be patient and you will find a tested metal base GZ34. Dan snagged his GZ34 recently as a 'Buy it Now' for less than $150 and I have found 7 for under $200. Search E-Bay Germany for the Volvo (Philips production) or E-Bay Netherlands. The Philips, Mullard, Miniwatt and Valvo branded GZ34 are are Philips production and the same tube. As these were made in Holland, you can find some pretty sweet deals if you search these sites.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip - I'll give these sites a try.

JG2

« Reply #93 on: 14 Jun 2008, 06:06 pm »
Ted,

The TS 5U4G with the top getter is re-listed with a 'Best Offer' option as well as the 'Buy it Now'.

It sounds like you are enjoying the more common bottom getter TS 5U4G.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=380037416892&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=025

Sooooooooooooooooo many tubes!!!

modwright

« Reply #94 on: 14 Jun 2008, 06:33 pm »
Hi guys, a couple of things.

First of all, I bought a couple of pairs of 'DR's and will be experimenting with them in the preamp and the Transporter and will share here, my personal observations.

RE the GZ32, my previous post was merely a caution.  Obviously others have had no problems with it.  It won't damage the unit at all, but could cause the fuse to fail.  I am sure that this is all also dependent on the specific GZ32, manufacturer, age, etc.  I have had no other such problems with any of the tubes recommended.  I have experienced some arcing over with other GZ2's in our preamp also, which has a choke input design and does NOT have large amounts of capacitance following the rectifier.

Just trying to keep on top of all of this and wanted to issue a caution regarding this specific tube.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Jerrym303

• GJ Madigan Legacy Fly Rods
« Reply #95 on: 14 Jun 2008, 08:34 pm »
Thanks to everyone her for all of this info, particularly Philistine for answering my earlier question.

I have been very impressed with 6h30 dr.  I have tried a Mullard GZ34 and two Tung Sol 5u4g's.  I like the Tung Sol much better so far - much smoother.  However, the Mullard I tried was used, so it may not be in top form.  The Mullard gz34 did seem to improve imaging.

All very preliminary at this point, but I doubt that the 6H30's are leaving.

cAsE sEnSiTiVe

« Reply #96 on: 14 Jun 2008, 09:52 pm »
Everyone's ears are different of course, but I'll be presumptious anyway and say that I think the DR's are the holy grail of signal tubes for the MW TP.

As for the Mullard GZ34, until you've heard a metal base, don't give up on that model. I realize they aren't cheap, nor available on every street corner, but WELL worth the effort. The difference between the regular black base and the metal, are night and day. Completely different sonic presentation. The former: syrupy, rolled at both extremes, wonderful midrange, good but not great soundstage and depth. The latter: fast, detailed, extended at both extremes, soundstage is wide and as deep as the ocean, depth is as it should be. It is one of those perfect combinations that allows instruments to float in their own little space, with perfect layering, and yet oodles of weight to every one of those instruments within that stage.

As I mentioned to ted in a PM, I'm done with my tube rolling.

YMMV   :thumb:

Philistine

« Reply #97 on: 14 Jun 2008, 11:42 pm »
Everyone's ears are different of course, but I'll be presumptious anyway and say that I think the DR's are the holy grail of signal tubes for the MW TP.

As for the Mullard GZ34, until you've heard a metal base, don't give up on that model. I realize they aren't cheap, nor available on every street corner, but WELL worth the effort. The difference between the regular black base and the metal, are night and day. Completely different sonic presentation. The former: syrupy, rolled at both extremes, wonderful midrange, good but not great soundstage and depth. The latter: fast, detailed, extended at both extremes, soundstage is wide and as deep as the ocean, depth is as it should be. It is one of those perfect combinations that allows instruments to float in their own little space, with perfect layering, and yet oodles of weight to every one of those instruments within that stage.

As I mentioned to ted in a PM, I'm done with my tube rolling.

YMMV   :thumb:

As the DR's start to 'dry up' then we need to find the next best thing (or better) for future TP owners - Parts Connexion are selling cryoed versions of the 'newer' 6H30, could this be the answer?  Also the 6N1P is a good cheap tube, maybe this could be cryoed for further improvement?
I'm happy to send a few tubes off for freezing - anyone have any recommendations for cryoing companies?

cAsE sEnSiTiVe

« Reply #98 on: 15 Jun 2008, 12:06 am »

As the DR's start to 'dry up' then we need to find the next best thing (or better) for future TP owners - Parts Connexion are selling cryoed versions of the 'newer' 6H30, could this be the answer?  Also the 6N1P is a good cheap tube, maybe this could be cryoed for further improvement?
I'm happy to send a few tubes off for freezing - anyone have any recommendations for cryoing companies?

I agree Phil...and I tell ya, the 6N1P are a pretty good sounding tube, especially considering the price difference between that and the DR. I will most likely keep looking for a deal on another pair of DR's. I would assume they are fairly reliable tubes longevity-wise, if companies like BAT and others are using them.

mikel51

« Reply #99 on: 15 Jun 2008, 01:44 am »
I replaced a fat base Mullard GZ34 last night with my latest Tung Sol 5U4G.  After about an hour of warm up I settled in for what I can describe as the best sound yet (with my Bent TAP preamp; the 36.5 front end isn't due back till Wednesday).  It has a sound that is both deep and wide, yet with nice dynamics and detail.  Very nice so far.  Of course the signal tubes are the  DR's.

I've run my Philips Mullard (June 1966) GZ32 with no problems.  It's one of my faves.

I have been loving my TS 5U4G.  The one I have has a top getter.  I also notice that it has 2 extra support rods between the T shaped plates.  I have also found some other TS 5U4G variants that don't have the 2 extra support rods.  I haven't found the time to sit down and listen to the different variants....but then again I am so happy with the one I have coupled with the 6H30DRs that I don't have a lot of incentive to roll tubes.  The next time I feel like a serious listening/evaluation session, I will compare the NOS 6H30DRs with the Mazda 6CG7s that I purchased from Upscale Audio.