HT Receiver Set Up Help, Please

Don_S

HT Receiver Set Up Help, Please
« on: 18 Dec 2014, 04:25 pm »
Last weekend I installed my first HT receiver.  Yesterday my first center channel speaker was delivered.  My HT system is separate from my main audio system.  HT is only two front speakers and a center channel.  I am not a big HT fan so that is plenty for me.  I did want the center channel as an upgrade from just two fronts.

Problem is I can't get the center to play in operating mode.  I tried it with three sources, OTA TV signal, same signal recorded and played back from a DVR, and a BluRay disc. Will I get  center channel playback from OTA signals?  Regardless, I did not get any center channel playback from BluRay.

I set the crossover for the center--ok.  Set the dB level and got a very strong signal so I know the new speaker works and the connections are good--ok.  Audyssey signal is strong during center channel testing--ok.  Exiting Audyssey it shows me my configuration including the center channel identified--ok. No output on playback--definitely not ok.

Am I missing something I needed to set?  I looked at the 104-page manual and got lost.

There is a section on "listening mode" where I have a selection from the alphabet soup of formats along with things like "straight decode" and "last valid".  I do not know what to set for each source or whether or not it is necessary to get something from the center channel.

I know that it is hard to trouble shoot by remote but perhaps I am just making a rookie mistake. I would appreciate any help.  I have spent hours on this and if I had not just purchased a nice, matching center speaker I would but my integrated stereo amp back in.

LONG LIVE TWO-CHANNEL.  :bowdown:

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Re: HT Receiver Set Up Help, Please
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2014, 04:31 pm »
Your receiver should have an audio setting for selecting multichannel playback. If it is set for stereo, you will not hear anything out of the center channel. You might also need to check your blu ray player settings.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2014, 04:55 pm »
Is this an Onkyo or Integra receiver?

Perhaps cycle through the "listening Modes" while listening to center will at least tell you speaker is getting input. Beyond that, I imagine you can set each source to default to a specific "listening mode"

If you happen to have listening mode set to Dolby Digital and there is no center channel information, center may be silent. There's usually some sort of quasi-multichannel setting that would synthesize output to center channel when there is no discrete info.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2014, 05:22 pm »
It sounds like your Blu Ray Player is set in the Download from multi channel to stereo. Or you have the speaker configuration set with the center channel off in the Player setup.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2014, 05:46 pm »
Yes, many (but not all) of the OTA signals will be encoded in Dolby Digital 5.1 and have a center channel.

If as you say, you're not getting the center from three different sources, OTA, DVR and Blu-ray player, it would follow that it is a setting in the receiver common to all three inputs, not a setting in the Blu-ray player.

There should be an indication of the current listening mode on the display of the receiver.  What is the make and model of the receiver?

Steve

Don_S

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2014, 07:24 pm »
Thanks for all of the input.

Receiver is an Integra 40.5.  I tried some of the suggestions.  I do not see a listening mode on the remote. I checked all settings on the BluRay player and TV.

TV has two options for output via optical.  Dolby digital for multichannel Dolby audio system.  I get zero sound from this option. That would be the one I would need to use a center channel.  Other choice is PCM stereo.  That does work but obviously only for two channels.

When I try to configure the receiver for input from the TV I get three choices of "Fixed Mode": 1 off, 2 PCM, 3 DTS  Since the TV output is PCM I set the receiver to that.  I think I also tried off but not sure if I tried it in combination with Dolby out from the TV.  It really is a slog switching back and fort trying all the combinations. What mode do I need to use there?

I cannot figure out how to set audio inputs on the receiver for different sources beyond the TV. I need to select the TV input to use the TV screen for programming.  If I select a different input on the receiver I can't get into the programming mode. I thought there was a way to select each input but I can't find it now.

Last thing I can think to add is I updated the firmware when I installed the receiver a few days ago.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2014, 08:10 pm »
Hard to tell from here, but sounds like you're using the tuner in the TV...no satellite or cable box? If you've got a separate box for receiving signal, you could (and I would) setup the TV as a monitor. Just take  HDMI  from box to receiver. If that's not the case, tell us how and what you have hooked up. I'll bet we can figger it out.

srb

« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2014, 08:17 pm »
When I try to configure the receiver for input from the TV I get three choices of "Fixed Mode": 1 off, 2 PCM, 3 DTS  Since the TV output is PCM I set the receiver to that.  I think I also tried off but not sure if I tried it in combination with Dolby out from the TV.  It really is a slog switching back and fort trying all the combinations. What mode do I need to use there?

The TV audio output should be set to Dolby Digital and the receiver's Fixed Mode should be set to Off to automatically detect the signal.  The receiver PCM setting will only playback 2-channel signals and either no sound or noise will be heard with a Dolby Digital source input.

The TV/CD input selector default is Optical, so that should work.  The BD/DVD input selector default is Coaxial1; if you're using a different input you will have to assign it.  The STB/DVR selector has no default set, so that one will have to be assigned.

If you access the main setup menu from the remote (Receiver button then Home button), select the Input/Output Assign menu item, then select the submenu input type (Digital Audio Input, HDMI Input, etc.) then you will be able to assign the input jack to the input selector label in a table.

Steve

Don_S

« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2014, 09:29 pm »
Thanks for the help everyone.  Using your suggestions I was able to reset the BluRay player and receiver to match.  I now have center channel audio on DVDs and BDs.  :thumb:

I still only have stereo from the TV and DVRs.  I am afraid it will stay that way which is a major disappointment.  I do >95% of my viewing that way.  Rarely do I sit and watch a disc.

Setup:  Antenna to my TV (it is the tuner) and DVRs. HDMI between TV (in) and receiver (out). Optical out from TV into receiver.  Other sources into the receiver via HDMI. 

Steve,  I set the receiver fixed mode to off and the TV to Dolby like you suggested.  I still only get two channel audio.  Will it be like that for all TV broadcasts or did I just pick a couple of 2-channel broadcasts to test?

On another receiver menu I had choices for Dolby and DTS.  I chose "Straight Decode".  Was that correct?

On the same menu I had the same choices for each of Analog/PCM, Mono/mulitplex, 2-channel source. The choices were:
Stereo
Mono
PLII movie
PLII music
PLII game
Neo: 6 cinema
Neo: 6 music
All channel Stereo
Full mono
Theater dimensional
Last valid
Direct

Some of those are obviously not relevant but is there any one of them that will give me a faux-center?  Center channel speaker is a match for the sides so I do not worry about matching them for tonality and I can adjust the output levels.

Major bummer if I go through all of this and can only get a center channel for less than 5% of my viewing.

Thanks again to everyone for their help. Getting the center working for the BluRay player made me feel a lot better. I am making progress. Another piece of the puzzle is in place.

srb

« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2014, 10:41 pm »
Steve,  I set the receiver fixed mode to off and the TV to Dolby like you suggested.  I only get two channel audio.  Will it be like that for all TV broadcasts or did I just pick a couple of 2-channel broadcasts to test?

It's been awhile since I viewed OTA, but as I remember at least half of the programming contained Dolby Digital soundtracks, but it will also depend how your local channels broadcast both local programming and rebroadcast network feeds.  Check a variety of prime time programming and see if you can discover Dolby Digital broadcasts.

On another receiver menu I had choices for Dolby and DTS.  I chose "Straight Decode".  Was that correct?

That's what I would choose for all Dolby, DTS and multichannel sources.  For other stereo sources, selecting PLII Movie would provide synthesized center and surround channels, but since you're not using surrounds "All Channel Stereo" should provide a L/R mixed mono center which you might prefer.

These settings are for the defaults based on the source signal audio format, but you can also toggle between these modes on the fly with the Listening Mode buttons on the front panel or on the remote just above the numeric buttons.  The default settings will return when the receiver is powered back up from standby.

Steve

Don_S

« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2014, 11:27 pm »
Thanks Steve,

I found a daytime program in HD. I verified it using the Zap2it programming guide.  I had a center signal using All Channel Stereo but as you pointed out it is an L+R mix.  Does that maintain the L and R channels discreet? I am curious even though it is a somewhat moot point.

I scrolled like you suggested. I was able to get a center channel from the TV in the following modes: Direct, Dolby Digital, and Theater Dimensional among others.  I am assuming Dolby is the correct choice. Right?   What the heck is "Direct"?

This is all good news.  I will have center channel information for my favorite shows.  :thumb:

srb

« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2014, 12:02 am »
I had a center signal using All Channel Stereo but as you pointed out it is an L R mix.  Does that maintain the L and R channels discreet? I am curious even though it is a somewhat moot point.

Yes, "All Channel Stereo" would maintain front L and R channels as discrete stereo (and if you had them, the L/R surrounds and L/R back would also be discrete stereo) and the center (and center back) would be a mono mix.

I scrolled like you suggested. I was able to get a center channel from the TV in the following modes: Direct, Dolby Digital, and Theater Dimensional among others.  I am assuming Dolby is the correct choice. Right?   What the heck is "Direct"?

Dolby Digital would be the correct choice.  I believe "Direct" also allows Dolby Digital decoding, but while basic speaker level and distance settings would still be in effect, most other DSP processing features such as Audyssey EQ, Tone Controls, Phase Matching Bass, Dynamic EQ and Volume, etc. are bypassed.

Steve

dougme57

« Reply #12 on: 19 Dec 2014, 09:18 am »
In order to get discrete center channel from your tv your cable box would have to be connected to your receiver with a digital coax cable or an optic audio cable.