Super Towers: IIA/R and III's

esprits4s

Super Towers: IIA/R and III's
« on: 30 Jan 2016, 12:41 am »
A year ago, I was only vaguely aware of VMPS.  Then I ran across a set of Super Tower /R's that were in need of restoration.  I bought them and began reading everything I could find on them and VMPS in general.  The larger Super Tower's seemed interesting, so I began looking for a local set to pick up.  Nearly a year later, the /R's are still in the basement awaiting my attention.  I picked up a beautiful pair of QSO808's in the fall that I have been enjoying since.  However, until yesterday, I didn't see a single pair of the full sized Super Towers for sale locally.

While browsing Craigslist, I saw an ad for "Stereo Speakers".  They turned out to be a set of Super Tower IIa/R's, a set of Super Tower III's, and a single LRC.  The seller was a local clean out company that has a storefront to resell anything of value that they are hired to dispose of.  Each set was advertised at $1000. 

So, I went down to check them out.  They aren't in the best condition, but I've seen worse.  Some of the dust caps are missing.  They have some cosmetic issues, and the passives in the IIA/R's have deteriorated foam.  I didn't check the passives on the III's. 

I wasn't going to pay the original asking price, but he very quickly dropped the price with a strong effort to get me to take all 5 speakers.  His take it or leave it offer was:
$1400 for all five
$1250 for the two sets of Super Towers
$900 for just the Super Tower III's which was the pair that I really wanted. 

I tried to get him to go lower, but I was hopelessly over matched when it came to negotiating.  He had just acquired the speakers, I clearly wanted them, and he knew it.  I would have had to walk out and hope they sat there for a while to get a lower price, and I didn't want to take a chance.  Anyway, I really wanted the III's, and I couldn't leave the IIA/R's or the LRC for the small incremental $$$'s he was asking.

So, the Super Towers will be delivered tomorrow.  All I told my wife was that some speakers are being dropped off, she has no idea how big they are.  There is no way I can keep all three sets of Super Towers nor do I really have a use for the center.  So I guess I will spend some quality time with all of them and then decide what to do next.

Here are the pictures posted in the Craigslist ad (I will take some better pics once they are here):

-Gary
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2016, 12:14 am by esprits4s »

revg1952

Re: Super Towers on the way. I may have a problem!
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2016, 12:50 am »
Being a former VMPS dealer, those Super Tower III"S look pretty decent. The price of $900.00 for a pair is more than reasonable. I have had both Tower III's and Super  Tower R's. I.M.H.O. The III's shellac the STR's.    The Soundstage is incredible; I don't think you will be disappointed. :thumb:. Lucky you; maybe someday I will get a pair for a steal. They do look sweet!
RevG1952

revg1952

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2016, 12:52 am »
Correction I have had STR's and STR IIa's.

Stimpy

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2016, 05:39 am »
Wow, $1400 for all 5 of those speakers is awesome.  I wish that I could find a herd of VMPS speakers like you did.  Plus, a LRC for only $150!  That'd be much nicer than the MartinLogan Fresco that I currently use.  I'm definitely looking forward to more updates, and pictures, once you receive all the speakers!  Thanks for sharing.    :thumb:

esprits4s

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2016, 05:58 pm »
Hi,
  So the good news is that all of the drivers work and are in good condition (except the passive woofers).  However, the inputs and full range switches aren't working as expected.  Intentionally or not, the speakers appear to have been rewired.
  I've looked, but haven't found user manuals or wiring diagrams for these.  Could anyone point me in the right direction to find documentation on these.  The brochures on Dropbox are great, but they don't offer any detailed information.

Regards,
-Gary

Stimpy

« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2016, 01:07 am »
Printed VMPS schematics are pretty rare, so hopefully, a VMPS ST owner will step up and help out.  Otherwise, I'd PM James Romeyn, as I 'believe' he worked at VMPS during your series of speakers.  Maybe James will have a few suggestions.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=profile;u=569

Good luck!

esprits4s

« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2016, 12:29 am »
The seller found some documents that came with the speakers and saved them for me.  They include assembly instructions for the IIA/R's including a wiring diagram, a few brochures, and an order form from 1983.  If there is interest in saving these, I would be happy to scan them to be saved somewhere.  They aren't in the best of shape and the directions are pretty heavily marked up.

Here are some photos:

Regards,
-Gary

davidc1

Re: Super Towers: IIA/R and III's
« Reply #7 on: 4 Feb 2024, 12:01 pm »
Hey, I know I'm 8 yrs late to the party, but what happened with your speakers? I am the proud owner of an LRC, and a set of ST/R that I built from a kit in 1980, and a set of ST III/SE that I are currently undergoing restoration by me.

esprits4s

« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2024, 12:37 am »
Well.... they are still in my basement.  I didn't realize it had been that long, but thanks for asking:) 
I ended up selling the LRC, and I am selling the ST/Rs to a local buyer.  I'm not sure about the ST IIa/Rs, but I am planning to fully restore the STIIIs and give them a serious run in on of my systems.   

Good luck with the restoration of your STIII/SE!   

BrentSnyder

« Reply #9 on: 5 Feb 2024, 09:57 pm »
How fun to have all that lurking in your basement.  I can just imagine how both your and David's III will sound when completed.  I have a pair of ST/RSE, love them completely.  Needing an LRC to put between them though.  Best of luck with the restoration, send pics for us all to enjoy.

davidc1

« Reply #10 on: 21 Mar 2024, 07:28 pm »
Well.... they are still in my basement.  I didn't realize it had been that long, but thanks for asking:) 
I ended up selling the LRC, and I am selling the ST/Rs to a local buyer.  I'm not sure about the ST IIa/Rs, but I am planning to fully restore the STIIIs and give them a serious run in on of my systems.   

Good luck with the restoration of your STIII/SE!

Good Afternoon,

I would love to see the instructions for the assembly of the ST IIs you have. I am having a heck of a time getting the wiring correct on my STIII's. Although they aren't the exact same model, by guess is the wringing of the woofers is the same. My 15" is out of phase with the rest of the speakers. I guess I don't need all the instructions, but if you have a schematic that would be great. Thank you.