More Amazing DACs for Peanuts

o0o

Re: More Amazing DACs for Peanuts
« Reply #180 on: 15 Dec 2017, 10:23 am »
Some additional feedback about SQ of Sabaj Da2 in comparison to old Cowon iAudio 7 (Wolfson WM8731L) and Apple iPod Nano 4th Gen (Cirrus Logic CS42L58):

- unbelievably low background noise, actually I cannot spot any with my beloved and quite analytical Etymotic Research ER-4P unlike i7 and iPod, where the bg noise is very obvious.
- very detailed, clean, clear and punchy sound in comparison to both - a low-mid boosted WM8731L (warm and open, less detailed and refined) and an upper-mid boosted CS42L58 (lively Cirrus Logic sound signature midrange but a bit thin sounding)
- definitely sounds better in DSD mode probably due to SABRE9018Q2C not being a R-2R multi-bit DAC, hence constant in-DAC conversion and no real BitPerfect PCM playback as most DACs on the market. :roll:

also:
- HP output is much stronger than i7 and iPod.
- consumes less power than Da3 (0.5W vs 0.8W).
- volume always resets to around 50% on re-plug.
- matches Ety's ER-4P really well.
- works really great with Onkyo HF Player, especially using a built-in real-time high-precision PCM to native DSD 5.6 MHz conversion!

Btw since there's no manual on the official site I've scanned one! So here's a Sabaj Da2 manual:

For Da3's manual click here.

biriken0915

« Reply #181 on: 15 Dec 2017, 11:50 am »
>>How's SE-MHR5 with Da3 balanced VS unbalanced? Is it possible for you to compare?
Sorry, SE-MHR5 contains 2.5mm balanced cable only.
Comparing with SE-MS7BT (Balanced), I think that the resolution clearly exceeds (Personal opinion to the last.)
>>Why would you use Da3 with M1?
Although M1 can play only up to DSD 128 by itself, but it can outputs DSD 256,512(Amazing!!!) without difficulty to the outside from USB.(FW4.1)
>>Is it so noticeably better than AK4452+MAX97220 of M1?
I think that there is an effect of balance connection and it will not be comparable.(Personal opinion to the last, too.)

o0o

« Reply #182 on: 15 Dec 2017, 04:14 pm »
>>Why would you use Da3 with M1?
Although M1 can play only up to DSD 128 by itself, but it can outputs DSD 256,512(Amazing!!!) without difficulty to the outside from USB.(FW4.1)
M1 converts DSD stream to PCM to play but that makes no sense because with Delta-Sigma type of DAC like M1 has it's gonna convert DSD to PCM by software and then DAC chip will convert PCM to DSD to play because it's a native mode for any Delta-Sigma DAC.  8)  Da2/Da3 are capable of playing native DSD stream up to DSD512 and actually do sound better in DSD mode, give it a try... ;)

>>Is it so noticeably better than AK4452+MAX97220 of M1?
I think that there is an effect of balance connection and it will not be comparable.(Personal opinion to the last, too.)
Never had a chance to try and compare a balanced set of HPs myself but have read that it's not really dramatic or at least should not be night and day difference. Some other say it's a vast improvement - go figure...

biriken0915

« Reply #183 on: 15 Dec 2017, 05:24 pm »
>>M1 converts DSD stream to PCM to play but that makes no sense because with Delta-Sigma type of DAC like M1 has it's gonna convert DSD to PCM by >>software and then DAC chip will convert PCM to DSD to play because it's a native mode for any Delta-Sigma DAC.
Thank you for your advice.

On the other hand, Shanling says in the release notes of FW 4.1 as follows.
                     "2. Added the DSD native digital output mode."
Does this mean that it is a pseudo NATIVE DSD due to the characteristics of the pointed DAC chip?
I do not know when it will be answered but I tried throwing a confirmation to VENDOR as well.

Regards,

bixby

« Reply #184 on: 20 Dec 2017, 04:31 am »
My topping D30 has a defect. 

When presented with low rumbling bass it distorts badly like an amp clipping.  It is repeatable and amp, headphones, speakers have been ruled out.  It is not a particularly loud passage so hard to believe a 0db event or an over.

For the record the input is usb using asio.  We'll see how well the ebay seller stands behind this product.

EDIT 12-20 ebay seller is cybereveryday.  Advertised the dac as being USA stock shipping from Los Angeles.  Now to return the item wants me to pre-pay shipping to CHINA.  Still working on a refund.
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2017, 05:01 am by bixby »

o0o

« Reply #185 on: 20 Dec 2017, 11:01 am »
On the other hand, Shanling says in the release notes of FW 4.1 as follows.
"2. Added the DSD native digital output mode."
Does this mean that it is a pseudo NATIVE DSD due to the characteristics of the pointed DAC chip?
I do not know when it will be answered but I tried throwing a confirmation to VENDOR as well.

This means M1 can now stream native DSD from USB port to an external DAC, like Da2/3, Mojo, etc...

My topping D30 has a defect.  We'll see how well the ebay seller stands behind this product.

Best of luck with that   8)

Btw how do you compare the sound of Da2/3 vs D30?

I used to have E-MU 1616m some years ago and really enjoyed the open and sweet sound of CS4398 via balanced connection to monitors or via HP output - very musical chip, amazing for jazz, general acoustic music, classical stuff! I hated what Fiio did to it in X3 2nd gen DAP HP out - completely destroying the very best sound characteristics of CS4398 with poor amp selection or/and circuit. Line out wasn't affected though and sounded great as expected.

Honestly, I cannot share the same level of satisfaction with Da2/3's SABRE9018Q2C even though I really enjoy the absence of BG noise and how clean, fast and punchy the sound is but a bit cold, mat and fatiguing at the same time.

Triplefun

« Reply #186 on: 22 Dec 2017, 11:14 pm »
I have just received my DA3 and amazed on the quality of the sound. However a key reason for the purchase was to try DSD512 native. I am using Daphile and can only get DoP DSD256. Do I need a firmware update and if so can someone please point me to the download location.

uncola

« Reply #187 on: 22 Dec 2017, 11:48 pm »
not sure it supports dsd512.  I know the xmos usb receiver chip they use does but not sure about the sabre dac chip.  let us know if you get it working!

Triplefun

« Reply #188 on: 24 Dec 2017, 05:55 am »
I received a modified version of daphile and can confirm daphile WILL support native dsd512. The sound is incredible for the price but you need a good CPU. I use an i3 8100.  Hopefully the daphile update will be included in the next beta.

JDUBS

« Reply #189 on: 24 Dec 2017, 06:07 am »
I received a modified version of daphile and can confirm daphile WILL support native dsd512. The sound is incredible for the price but you need a good CPU. I use an i3 8100.  Hopefully the daphile update will be included in the next beta.

Does it upsample?  Says native dsd512....

-Jim

Triplefun

« Reply #190 on: 24 Dec 2017, 07:38 am »
Daphile upsamples all music to DSD512 for native dsd512 processing by the Sabah da3.

karnana

« Reply #191 on: 24 Dec 2017, 05:11 pm »
Is it possible to x3 da3 for 5.1 system? or am I just silly? :lol:

zek

« Reply #192 on: 24 Dec 2017, 05:38 pm »
Is it possible to x3 da3 for 5.1 system? or am I just silly? :lol:
How will you split a digital USB signal into 3 parts??? :shake:

karnana

« Reply #193 on: 24 Dec 2017, 09:47 pm »
How will you split a digital USB signal into 3 parts??? :shake:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bixby

« Reply #194 on: 29 Dec 2017, 07:36 pm »
My topping D30 has a defect. 

When presented with low rumbling bass it distorts badly like an amp clipping.  It is repeatable and amp, headphones, speakers have been ruled out.  It is not a particularly loud passage so hard to believe a 0db event or an over.

For the record the input is usb using asio.  We'll see how well the ebay seller stands behind this product.

EDIT 12-20 ebay seller is cybereveryday.  Advertised the dac as being USA stock shipping from Los Angeles.  Now to return the item wants me to pre-pay shipping to CHINA.  Still working on a refund.

EDIT 12-27 - Seller issued refund.  Funny several different sellers offering popular Chinese goods state they ship from LA.  Another seller with similar but different name has some negative feedback on another item, whose box was wrapped entirely in black tape for shipment just like my dac, coincidence or are multiple sellers using the same LA warehouse.  Or is it the same seller using different names.  Be careful out there.

o0o

« Reply #195 on: 31 Dec 2017, 12:05 pm »
SMSL released an "answer" to Sabaj's Da3 - dual Sabre DAC with balanced HP output and a built-in battery - SMSL IQ

Currently available for $139.99 @ amazon.com

Also there's a new windows driver for XMOS based devices - 4.38.0

Happy New Year!

zek

« Reply #196 on: 31 Dec 2017, 01:53 pm »
SMSL released an "answer" to Sabaj's Da3 - dual Sabre DAC with balanced HP output and a built-in battery - SMSL IQ....

Happy New Year!

The clash starts - we expect the winner. :wink:

JDUBS

« Reply #197 on: 31 Dec 2017, 08:39 pm »
SMSL released an "answer" to Sabaj's Da3 - dual Sabre DAC with balanced HP output and a built-in battery - SMSL IQ

Currently available for $139.99 @ amazon.com

Also there's a new windows driver for XMOS based devices - 4.38.0

Happy New Year!

Wow, it seems to be exactly the Sabaj!  I'd probably just get that one...and save $40.

-Jim

Triplefun

« Reply #198 on: 31 Dec 2017, 09:16 pm »
Wow, it seems to be exactly the Sabaj!  I'd probably just get that one...and save $40.

-Jim
The Sabaj has 2 sabre chips; the smsl has built in battery. Will be interesting to see a comparison.

Triplefun

« Reply #199 on: 31 Dec 2017, 09:23 pm »
Here is a link to a test version of daphile which supports native Sabah da3 dsd512 for daphile ... http://www.daphile.com/tmp.NPZWbbUEbT/daphile-17.12-b232011-x86_64.iso