Harbeth vs. Salk

Big Red Machine

Re: Harbeth vs. Salk
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jan 2012, 02:58 pm »
Oh ok, his post was 3.5 years ago so I figured you meant me.

Honest, I don't have a drinking problem!  Just an old age problem.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #21 on: 27 Jan 2012, 03:00 pm »
Big Red, can you say yet what Salks you are going to get?

Bob

They are not officially released yet Bob. :wink:  But I can say that the cabinets are built!

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jan 2012, 06:49 pm »
...Pete is right, the Salk 'sound' is very true to the music.  Harbeth's just seem to be 'musical' to me.   Bad recordings are more listenable.  With Salk, the better the recording the better it sounds, but a bad recording sounds like it was recorded...bad!...
John

Personally, I've found that, with the Salks, this is a good thing. For instance: A poor recording with a little of its own distortion sounds very poor through a speaker adding it's own coloration and distortion.

With the Salks a recording, like Iggy Pop's Raw Power or The Idiot, sound more involving to me. You hear the original distortions in the recording; the distortions are now free from the speakers distortion. Now these albums are much more musical. To me anyway.

That make sense? It's something I noticed when I started playing bad recording on the Salks.

jd3

« Reply #23 on: 27 Jan 2012, 07:40 pm »
Personally, I've found that, with the Salks, this is a good thing. For instance: A poor recording with a little of its own distortion sounds very poor through a speaker adding it's own coloration and distortion.

With the Salks a recording, like Iggy Pop's Raw Power or The Idiot, sound more involving to me. You hear the original distortions in the recording; the distortions are now free from the speakers distortion. Now these albums are much more musical. To me anyway.

That make sense? It's something I noticed when I started playing bad recording on the Salks.

Yes it does make sense.  Harbeths just seem (to me anyway) to be musical no matter what quality the recording may be.  My first pair of Salks (ST's) made me really take note of poor quality recordings.  I like ( and have) both brands, and as I mentioned will likely be getting another pair of Jim's speakers.  There's no good and bad, I find both enjoyable...isn't that what it's all about?

John