Clearaudio MM -- AT-95E and beyond

Halcro

Re: Clearaudio MM -- AT-95E and beyond
« Reply #1460 on: 26 Oct 2016, 03:31 am »
Also, I changed the headshell leads on the HS4 carbon fiber headshell to 1877 Angel's Breath and was very positively impressed. Quite a change in sound.
Oh yes.....I have a friend in Bavaria who as a matter of course with all his headshells, replaces the leads to pure silver Van den Hul.
I have used silver leads on a couple of my shells but can't truthfully say I can hear a difference  :scratch:
Pretty sure the S3 is plastic and not aluminium.... :thumb:

Plato65

« Reply #1461 on: 26 Oct 2016, 03:43 am »
Your Bavarian friend, would that be thuchan aka audiocirc.com? :D

Here's an old Fidelity Research catalog saying FR-S/3 is pressed aluminum:

Halcro

« Reply #1462 on: 26 Oct 2016, 03:48 am »
Oh wow....thanks for that.
That's amazing......
I've never seen pressed aluminium done so sharply in such a thickness.
The Japanese had such resources in the Golden Age of analogue.... :flame:

Halcro

« Reply #1463 on: 26 Oct 2016, 03:52 am »
Your Bavarian friend, would that be thuchan aka audiocirc.com? 
Non other..... :thumb:

Plato65

« Reply #1464 on: 26 Oct 2016, 07:26 am »
Non other..... :thumb:

Well, he does speak of his "Sydney friend" a lot on his blog :D And strangely enough, soon after you sold an MC-L1000, thuchan seems to have acquired one. Pure coincidence, I'm sure. 8)

In terms of headshell leads and other cables, my experience has been that going from stranded OFC copper to solid-core (or Litz), single-crystal, high-purity copper is generally an improvement. In comparisons between solid-core, single-crystal, high-purity copper and silver, I've generally preferred copper.

Halcro

« Reply #1465 on: 26 Oct 2016, 11:07 am »
Well, he does speak of his "Sydney friend" a lot on his blog :D And strangely enough, soon after you sold an MC-L1000, thuchan seems to have acquired one. Pure coincidence, I'm sure. 8)
Haha....keen eye you have... :eyebrows:
After I found my MC-L1000, I was so impressed that I found another (better) one for Thuchan.
As it turned out.....I couldn't live with the lack of bass performance in my sample.....but Thuchan's is superlative by all accounts.
It shows that paying for the 'best' is often the course that rewards  :thumb:

Plato65

« Reply #1466 on: 26 Oct 2016, 09:47 pm »
I'm still struck by the change in sound of my A&R P77 + Jico SAS when going from a boxwood to a carbon fiber headshell. This change should have no effect on the electrical properties of the cartridge, but still seemed to have an effect on the perceived frequency extension. So it appears that resonances in the plastic body are a real factor at least for this cartridge.

Have you tried graphite headshells? What are the physical differences in terms of rigidity & resonances between carbon fiber & graphite?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1467 on: 27 Oct 2016, 12:41 pm »
Hi Plato, welcome to the monkey house.

I think it was about 2 years ago  Furukawa Electric announced they would no longer make PCOCC wire.   AT made no mention of it with their new carts, and does not supply PCOCC headshell leads with these new entries.  [note - these headshell wires are still available.  Like the ATN150MLX, if you want it, better get it now.]
It's my understanding that long crystal copper is made in ways other than continuous casting.

If anyone has generator specs (inductance/resistance) on Garrott or FR, please contribute. 
neo 

Plato65

« Reply #1468 on: 27 Oct 2016, 12:44 pm »
At least, Wan Lung in Taiwan still makes OCC wire and sells it under Neotech.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1469 on: 28 Oct 2016, 11:36 am »
PC OCC isn't really a type of wire.  It's a process for making long crystal "oxygen free" wire.   LC wire was invented by Hitachi in 1975.  The long crystal structure dramatically reduces the number of boundaries within the copper or silver.  PC OCC process was invented 10 years later so it's obviously not necessary to produce LC.  For a more detailed explanation:
http://www.atlascables.com/design-conductors.html

neo

Plato65

« Reply #1470 on: 28 Oct 2016, 01:02 pm »
Well, it's common to call the wire resulting from an OCC process as OCC wire. Interestingly, it has lower resistance than silver:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/cg1003808

My the point is that Wan Lung I believe is the only company using the OCC process currently. Furukawa stopped using it, as you mentioned. See about half way through the presentation: http://www.audiosensibility.com/faq/TechnologyOverviewSlideshow.pdf

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1471 on: 28 Oct 2016, 03:04 pm »
Yes, you're right.  OCC copper has lower resistance than silver, but does it have lower resistance than OCC silver?

I'm not sure if OCC wire is better than other LC.  I think there are others making LC wire, but I'm not sure of that either. 

The point of all this is coil wire and headshell leads.  AT makes no mention of coil wire type in new offerings and does not supply the PC OCC headshell leads.  They do supply the leads with the 150Sa and 33Sa (newer), and use PC OCC coil wire in those.   Maybe they're scaling back.  Carts like the 440/120 have/had OCC coils. 
neo

Halcro

« Reply #1472 on: 16 Nov 2016, 02:53 am »

The Palladian by Acoustical Systems  :flame:

Plato65

« Reply #1473 on: 16 Nov 2016, 03:16 am »
Looking good! How does it sound?

Surprised to see four pairs of screw holes. Have you tried using two or more pairs at the same time for a tighter connection?

Halcro

« Reply #1474 on: 16 Nov 2016, 03:25 am »
Looking good! How does it sound?

Surprised to see four pairs of screw holes. Have you tried using two or more pairs at the same time for a tighter connection?
It's looking like my 40 odd cartridge collection and 5 other tonearms (plus turntable) may suddenly be redundant..... :wtf:
I think all the holes are to allow max. flexibility. I don't think extra screws will work as the heads interfere....

Plato65

« Reply #1475 on: 16 Nov 2016, 03:27 am »
That good?! One cartridge, one tonearm, one turntable??? One record also? :D  Which ones would be the one tonearm & turntable?

Halcro

« Reply #1476 on: 16 Nov 2016, 03:32 am »
Hahaha.....
I'm hoping it's not true.....but my 40 year search for the 'perfect' cartridge never really appeared realistic.
Until now..... :beer:
This is a serious game-changer..... :scratch:

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1477 on: 16 Nov 2016, 10:03 pm »
Hahaha.....
I'm hoping it's not true.....but my 40 year search for the 'perfect' cartridge never really appeared realistic.
Until now..... :beer:
This is a serious game-changer..... :scratch:

Wow, didn't expect this from you, a MC no less.  Isn't Acoustical Systems Dertonarm's (Agon user name) company?  What's the output?  All I could turn up in a quick search was effusive praise.
http://www.hmfsolutions.com/news/palladian-moving-coil/

https://belhifi.com/products/acoustical-systems-palladian

Looks like about $9.5K ? 
I call first dibs on your throwaways.   :lol:
neo

Halcro

« Reply #1478 on: 17 Nov 2016, 12:32 am »

Wow, didn't expect this from you, a MC no less.  Isn't Acoustical Systems Dertonarm's (Agon user name) company?  What's the output?  All I could turn up in a quick search was effusive praise.
http://www.hmfsolutions.com/news/palladian-moving-coil/

https://belhifi.com/products/acoustical-systems-palladian

Looks like about $9.5K ? 
I call first dibs on your throwaways.   :lol:
neo
And if you can read German....
Acoustical Systems The Palladian
PrinzipMoving CoilAusgangsspannung0,33mV bei 5cm/sek
Statische Nadelnachgiebigkeit16-18mm/N bei 18°C bis 30°C
Empfohlene Auflagekraft17-18mN (1,7 - 1,75 p.)
Kanalgleichheit0,35dB bei 1kHzKanaltrennung32dB
Frequenzgang15Hz bis 32kHz ±2dB
NadelschliffQ4 Shibata EVO
Innenwiderstand5Ω
Empfohlener Abschlusswiderstand100-200Ω
Gewicht 11,8g
Preis 8800 Euro

Plato65

« Reply #1479 on: 17 Nov 2016, 02:05 am »
The German text doesn't have much additional info from the English text in the picture, other than that the needle tip is Shibata EVO.

Yes, when you start selling all your other cartridges, do keep us in mind  :D