Bedroom speakers ????

milford3

Re: Bedroom speakers ????
« Reply #40 on: 23 Aug 2016, 07:13 pm »
The Axiom M2's are fantastic.  I've heard them and was floored by the output of this small bookshelf speaker.  The bass response is incredible for its size.  Jim Tanner uses the Axiom drivers for his speakers.

http://axiomaudio.com/m2-bookshelf-speakers

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #41 on: 23 Aug 2016, 08:23 pm »
Here's an idea:

Buy a Meniscus Audio kit called "Sopranos" with assembled crossover. You can upgrade the caps and resistors if you wish. For speaker cabinets, email John B. [His AC name is 'pecker'.] He's been making speaker cabinets for years. Total cost might be $600 or less.

Sure, you must do a little work and solder a few points, but I'll wager they sound as good or better than store bought. Jeff Bagby designed them for his brother, Dustin. I doubt he'd design crap for his little brother. 

apstoltz

« Reply #42 on: 28 Aug 2016, 12:06 pm »
I think I am going to go with the jbl studio 530 or the xls encore. The jbl is intriguing to me and have always been a jbl fan back in my earlier days of this hobby. Something about the exotic look at some of their offers that appeals to me and of course I hear the 530's sound great from others. I may give them a go.

2bigears

« Reply #43 on: 31 Aug 2016, 06:38 pm »
 :D.  Those 340 SE's from Ascend look pretty good.   Would these be a good buy ??  :D.   Anyone heard ?  :D
« Last Edit: 1 Sep 2016, 12:38 am by 2bigears »

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #44 on: 31 Aug 2016, 08:49 pm »
I've never heard them, but I'm fascinated by the stuff from Role Audio and their supposed low end reach from such a tiny cabinet...
https://www.roleaudio.com/sampan-ftl

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #45 on: 1 Sep 2016, 01:01 am »
:D.  Those 340 SE's from Ascend look pretty good.   Would these be a good buy ??  :D.   Anyone heard ?  :D

What is your idea of bedroom speakers?  Small (probably squarish) room?  Actual bedroom, to be used late night before sleep?

The Ascend Acoustics 340SE's are intended for HT, to reach high spls and limit vertical dispersion and floor/ceiling bounce via their MTM design.  Note no other Ascend speaker uses MTM arrangement.  My CBM 170's play plenty loud enough for small room use.  They are extremely musical and provide good mid/bass body that most modern affordable 2-ways stand-mounts seem to lack.

hdspeakerman

« Reply #46 on: 1 Sep 2016, 01:50 am »
+1 on Sopranos or Continuums by Jeff Bagby!