Over the ear sealed headphones ?

Guy 13

Over the ear sealed headphones ?
« on: 24 Nov 2013, 01:05 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
I like to listen to music when I am in lying in bed (Our bedroom is air conditionned), unfortunately, my wife sleeps with me
and listen to some boring Vietnamese soap drama where they spend
99.9999% of the time crying and complaining.
Therefore with my HD-570 and my newly acquired HD-650 (Both open type) I cannot hear music in peace.
I am looking for a over the ear sealed headphones in the price range of 50 USD.
Can anyone suggest something they have experience with.
Don't need high quality, since most of the time I will sleep before the first song is over.
One important thing, I need to avois some of the leatherette cusion, they make me sweat.
Thanks.

Guy 13
Note:
I saw on Amazon the Sennheiser HD-449 ?

dB Cooper

Re: Over the ear sealed headphones ?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2013, 04:02 am »
Guy 13
Have you considered an in-ear-monitor style rather than a full size sealed can? It might be easier to find a good set at that price point, isolation is usually even better, and they are free of the sweatiness problem. All closed around ear cans I have tried (except my friend's Beyers, which are way above your price point; they have velour ear pads) give me the "sweats". The lower end Logitech / Ultimate Ears models might be a good place to start.

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2013, 04:25 am »
, unfortunately, my wife sleeps with me
and listen to some boring Vietnamese soap drama where they spend
99.9999% of the time crying and complaining.

:lol:  that sounds awful...

I agree with dB, guy....the in-ears that I've really liked are the JVC nanotube (model number is X40 or something like that) and some Comply foam tips. I have used these, as well as the nanotube headphones they make, and I've sent four pairs to friends who all enjoy them. They're very enjoyable for not much money, and IMO the Comply tips allow them to sound even better with improved isolation.

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2013, 05:36 am »
Comfort is also excellent with those tips. Some of the UE models come with a pair for you to try out.

PS, sounds like Vietnamese soap operas are just like American soap operas, only they're in Vietnamese  :lol:

Guy 13

« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2013, 05:58 am »
Guy 13
Have you considered an in-ear-monitor style rather than a full size sealed can? It might be easier to find a good set at that price point, isolation is usually even better, and they are free of the sweatiness problem. All closed around ear cans I have tried (except my friend's Beyers, which are way above your price point; they have velour ear pads) give me the "sweats". The lower end Logitech / Ultimate Ears models might be a good place to start.
Hi dB Cooper and all Audio Circle members.
I never have considered the in-ear-monitor,
because I don't like to plunk anything in my ears.
Everyday I must put those yellow plastic construction type ear plugs
to avoid the high decibels of the Vietnamese life...
However, I will look at Logitech offerings and see...
Thanks for the advice.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2013, 06:01 am »
Comfort is also excellent with those tips. Some of the UE models come with a pair for you to try out.

PS, sounds like Vietnamese soap operas are just like American soap operas, only they're in Vietnamese  :lol:
Hi (Again) dB Cooper and all Audio Circle members.
Replacement foams seems to be a little expensive for those.
Vietnamese soap operas are worst than American ones,
because there is much, much more crying and complaining.
When I visited my mother a few years back,
she was watching on TV those American soap operas
and is was not as worst as the Vietnamese one,
I know I've seen both.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #6 on: 24 Nov 2013, 06:05 am »
:lol:  that sounds awful...

I agree with dB, guy....the in-ears that I've really liked are the JVC nanotube (model number is X40 or something like that) and some Comply foam tips. I have used these, as well as the nanotube headphones they make, and I've sent four pairs to friends who all enjoy them. They're very enjoyable for not much money, and IMO the Comply tips allow them to sound even better with improved isolation.
Hi ajzepp and all Audio Circle members.
You've sent four pairs to your friends
and not a single pair to your fellow Audio Circle member Guy 13 :cry:
I will have a look again at those in-ear-monitor...

Guy 13

By the way, it does not sound awfull, it is awful... :lol: :cry:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #7 on: 24 Nov 2013, 06:18 am »
I'd get used to in-ears for this situation. Rolling over in your sleep on over-the-ears would not work, but you could, conceivably, with in-ears.
I would just take a chance on the Nuforce NE-770X, unheard, at the price they are currently going for.

Guy 13

« Reply #8 on: 24 Nov 2013, 06:30 am »
I'd get used to in-ears for this situation. Rolling over in your sleep on over-the-ears would not work, but you could, conceivably, with in-ears.
I would just take a chance on the Nuforce NE-770X, unheard, at the price they are currently going for.
Hi Russell and all Audio Circle members.
those look interesting, especially at 18 USD.
I will think about it.
Thanks.

Guy 13

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 24 Nov 2013, 03:27 pm »

I never have considered the in-ear-monitor,
because I don't like to plunk anything in my ears.
Everyday I must put those yellow plastic construction type ear plugs
to avoid the high decibels of the Vietnamese life...
The right headphones with the right tips will be a LOT more comfortable than those hearing-protection plugs. The UE 'phones don't really go that deep and are quite comfy esp. with the Comply tips.

2gumby2

« Reply #10 on: 24 Nov 2013, 03:36 pm »
I really like my Sennheiser HD 439 that I use for travel. Although above $50 I think they would be a satisfying choice.

ajzepp

« Reply #11 on: 24 Nov 2013, 03:42 pm »
The right headphones with the right tips will be a LOT more comfortable than those hearing-protection plugs. The UE 'phones don't really go that deep and are quite comfy esp. with the Comply tips.

+1

Comply came out with some new ones a few months ago that are even more comfortable...I've never liked having IEMs in my ears, but my little Atrios with the Comply tips are great.

I need to try a pair of those UE phones...I know they're very highly regarded.

Guy 13

« Reply #12 on: 25 Nov 2013, 08:07 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
Thanks ajzepp, 2gumby2, dB Cooper and Russell.
I will give a try to the in-ear-monitors, if I can find a store where I can try them before buying them.
I will go to the store that sold me my HD-650, maybe they have something to offer me.
Thanks again and I will let you know what I found.

Guy 13

dB Cooper

« Reply #13 on: 26 Nov 2013, 01:13 am »
That may be a problem… Here anyway, you cant try anything in-ear before you buy it due to health regs (would you want to buy something that had been in someone else's ears, it would be like buying a toothbrush that had been "tried out"). There things may be different.

If all you are looking to do is shut out the soap operas, you shouldn't have to spend a lot at all, but the really cheapies won't save you much, as the cords tend to crap out quickly. Sony has some passable el cheapos that sell for ~20USD here.

Guy 13

« Reply #14 on: 26 Nov 2013, 05:30 am »
That may be a problem… Here anyway, you cant try anything in-ear before you buy it due to health regs (would you want to buy something that had been in someone else's ears, it would be like buying a toothbrush that had been "tried out"). There things may be different.

If all you are looking to do is shut out the soap operas, you shouldn't have to spend a lot at all, but the really cheapies won't save you much, as the cords tend to crap out quickly. Sony has some passable el cheapos that sell for ~20USD here.
Hi dB Cooper and all Audio Circle members.
By the way:
No, I am not tired of writing with each post the usual:
all Audio Circle members.
It's more or less my trade mark
and it's also my way to check all Audio Circle members tolerance
to an annoying guy like me. :lol:
Thanks for reminding me of the health issue about the in ear hearphones.
I completely forgot about that.
You ar right, it's like my tooth brush, no one can touch it except my wife, of course.
As a matter of fact, she can touch many other things that I own... :wink:
When I went to buy my HD-650 I saw in the shopping mall a nice Sony store. I will go back and see if they have something for me.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me.

Guy 13

bregez

« Reply #15 on: 26 Nov 2013, 12:38 pm »

When I went to buy my HD-650 I saw in the shopping mall a nice Sony store. I will go back and see if they have something for me.
Guy 13

Check to see if Sony has the MDR-V6 in stock.  They retail for around $75 USD but I have seen them for sale in the $50 USD range occasionally.  They do have the crappy "leatherette" cushions but velour pads are available from a company named Auray.  On a side note they are great sounding cans for the price.  The biggest negative would be the 8' long curly cord. 

Guy 13

« Reply #16 on: 26 Nov 2013, 12:46 pm »
Check to see if Sony has the MDR-V6 in stock.  They retail for around $75 USD but I have seen them for sale in the $50 USD range occasionally.  They do have the crappy "leatherette" cushions but velour pads are available from a company named Auray.  On a side note they are great sounding cans for the price.  The biggest negative would be the 8' long curly cord.
Hi bregez and all Audio Circle members.
Thanks for the info.

Guy 13

ajzepp

« Reply #17 on: 27 Nov 2013, 03:51 am »

and it's also my way to check all Audio Circle members tolerance
to an annoying guy like me. :lol:

Personally, I think you've been more entertaining lately than annoying... :thumb:

Guy 13

« Reply #18 on: 27 Nov 2013, 12:02 pm »
Personally, I think you've been more entertaining lately than annoying... :thumb:
Hi ajzepp and all Audio Circle members.
Thanks a lot, I take that as a compliment. :thumb:

Guy 13

JohnR

« Reply #19 on: 27 Nov 2013, 12:38 pm »
Guy, why not just buy a pair of headphones for your wife? For her to listen to the "boring Vietnamese soap drama where they spend 99.9999% of the time crying and complaining." Then you are both left in relative peace.

?