Sony MDR 7506

Freo-1

Sony MDR 7506
« on: 9 Aug 2013, 09:45 pm »
Recently, got back to trying headphones again.  So, after reading far too many reviews, decided to try the tried and true Sony MDR 7506.  To my pleasant surprise, they really are as good as the reviews say they are.  There are several write ups that pretty much state that they are among the best buys in headphones available. 

They are everything a good headphone should be, and nothing they should not be.  They provide a very smooth yet detailed presentation, with no emphasis on any one aspect of the frequency spectrum.  I have to say, after listening to these for awhile, it makes one wonder if spending five to ten times the amount on a reference set is worth the effort.  It even comes with a parts list (how cool is that?).

So, who has these, and what are your impressions?

mpcrelly

Re: Sony MDR 7506
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2013, 03:50 am »
I have own two pairs personally for over 13 years.  I've even bought pairs for friends!  before that I had mdr-v6 sony's which are a cheaper bassier version.  so between the two models I've been using them for over 20years!!  the 7506's were recommended by my audio recording teacher in 2000 when I tried to go to school for recording.  a few years ago I tried the 7509's but they sounded terrible, hollow and resonant.  may have bought counterfeit phones though...  I strongly believe that my 7506's take me 95-98% of the way towards matching the quality of my $10,000 home stereo sound with tubes and good large speakers and sub.

The sony's with a good DAC and maybe tube headphone amp should thrill most demanding ears!

I still would like to try some grado models...

my only complaint might be a tight head-clamp feeling, but you should be able to bend the head band out a bit if its too tight.  some people think they get hot on the ears, but I think the sound quality is worth it...take a break from time to time...or get A/C

Rclark

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2013, 12:42 am »
Good enough for me! Bought.

Rclark

« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2013, 08:16 pm »
Have been thoroughly enjoying these cans on the Emotiva Xda 2. A higher end standalone amp is definitely in their future.

The Beyerdynamic (yes these headphones are so popular a competitor makes parts), freaking velour ear cups just showed up. OH MY GOODNESS.

They were so comfortable before I could play material, fall into a deep restful sleep, wake up, and they're still on with no discomfort or pressure anywhere.

These new cups are far softer and thicker than stock. Gorgeous. Should improve clarity a bit now, as the foam driver-cover piece is now optional.

They fit onto the Sony's with a nice snug fit, better seal than stock actually, and the extra thick material has much more squish.

And I'm wearing them.... Ahhhhhhhhh.

Freo-1

« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2013, 08:20 pm »
What Beyer cups did you buy?  I have my 7506 cans at work to block out all the background chatter, and they sound pretty good even on a laptop with CD's.   :lol:

Glad to hear you like them!

Rclark

« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2013, 08:30 pm »
They do isolate very well don't they? Part of the sound quality. Can't wait to put a supreme amp on them.

It's the Beyerdynamic EDT 250 Velour ear cup. Discovered in one of the reviews on Amazon left by a recording engineer who claimed they drastically improved the comfort and also the bass, I want to say.

Freo-1

« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2013, 08:36 pm »
They do isolate very well don't they? Part of the sound quality. Can't wait to put a supreme amp on them.

It's the Beyerdynamic EDT 250 Velour ear cup. Discovered in one of the reviews on Amazon left by a recording engineer who claimed they drastically improved the comfort and also the bass, I want to say.

Thanks for the tip!  I'll get onto it.

Now, if you REALLY want to spoil your listening experience, get a hold of a Stax SR-507, SRM 007 ta amp, and install some NOS RCA Black Plates.  Nothing will ever sound quite as good afterwards, so be warned.   :lol:

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 30 Oct 2013, 10:16 pm »
Yeah, you're going to love these cups!

Have you seen this company called Bottlehead? They have a couple tube amps available and are local to me. Can't seem to find a bad comment about them anywhere.

Supposedly for $500 I get a tube amp kit that I can build. The ONLY reason I'm considering it is because they seem to have the best instructional guides and how to's in the business.

I've bought diy from some people here and it was like trying to solve the riddle of the sphinx. This kit, on the other hand, looks doable.

Freo-1

« Reply #8 on: 30 Oct 2013, 10:25 pm »
The only headphone amp I have a background with is this one:
http://www.ecpaudio.com/Torpedo.shtml

I know this one works well. I have heard good things about Bottlehead.

Rclark

« Reply #9 on: 30 Oct 2013, 10:57 pm »
You know, this Emo xda 2 amp is very good. I think these thicker bigger earcups have improved the sound too. Better "basstrapping"? Larger volume of air in the "enclosure" now? Better seal? Either way I'm listening to the new Earth Wind and Fire album "Got to be Love" streaming off Music Unlimited and it is really really good. Definitely an audiophile experience.

Think I'm goung to go Bottlehead. What the hell. And with their kit under my belt I can feel more confident with making gear from just schematics later.