New tube phono amp projected.....?

jazzcourier

New tube phono amp projected.....?
« on: 27 Feb 2012, 12:01 am »
Just read this on the Modwright website and hope Dan can supply some comments,thoughts and information on what he might have planned.The original MW phono amp is a great piece and i wonder where the new amp design might take us.Mine has the power supply upgrade and the Bendix 6900 tubes.As most people always consider an upgrade, this is one piece of audio equipment i would consider difficult to replace without considerable expense.
The prospect of a newly designed phono amp from the mind of the man who outdid himself on the first is cause to rejoice,even in speculation.You need to look no further for a beta tester.
     I also have the two box preamp and share similar feelings about that product, perhaps more so than ever after the recent price increase.Still a reasonable price vs. performance.

modwright

Re: New tube phono amp projected.....?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2012, 07:27 pm »
Thank you.  I have been working on a NEW Phono stage design, but regret to say that it will be a while before it is ready for production.  I have A LOT on my plate right now and at the start of this year, did some 'regrouping' in looking at the projects I currently have under-way and amount of time required to be sure that all existing projects in progress are FIRST FULLY finalized before I take anything else on.

We do offer a phono upgrade (Tube design) for our LS 100 tube linestage and are about to start shipping a SS phono upgrade for our KWI 200 integrated also.  The 'High-End' or 'Ultimate' phono stage however, is going to be a while yet.

Thanks!

Dan
« Last Edit: 20 May 2012, 06:41 pm by modwright »

John Boy

« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2012, 01:17 am »
Dan, I have the LS100 with phono. How much better would/could a seperate phono sound? The LS100 phono sounds great but sonically how does it stack up against say your prior seperate phono stage? and what you know or suspect is achievable with a new seperate phono stage?

modwright

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2012, 03:12 am »
Hi guys, I do plan, AT SOME POINT, to design a HIGH-END standalone phono stage.  It will likely be in the $5K-$7K range.  I may also design a smaller, two-box tube design with external power supply, at closer to $2500, but there is NO timeline in place for this right now.

I am simply swamped with digital designs and have to finalize these first.

The phono in the LS 100 is VERY good and you would have to spend a lot more money to do better IMHO.

I will let everyone know when I finally get time to design and produce a standalone phono.

Thanks!

Dan W.