BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #20 on: 26 Mar 2012, 01:25 pm »
James, Lappy writes that the BHA-1 price will be $1295. Is that now the correct Canadian retail price?

And what is the current estimate on when the units will be shipped?

Dave

Hi Dave

Yes $1295 and hope to be shipping worst case the middle of next month.  We have a lot of units on order though so any new orders would be a few weeks after we fill the backorders.

james

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #21 on: 26 Mar 2012, 01:35 pm »
Hi Dave

Yes $1295 and hope to be shipping worst case the middle of next month.  We have a lot of units on order though so any new orders would be a few weeks after we fill the backorders.

james

Thanks, James. In the past I have bought new Bryston gear without a demo. I have that much faith in it. But over the years I discovered that headphone amps are a whole different animal - I've owned six of them, a couple of which were bought sight unseen. Made a vow the last time to follow your general advice - demo! Therefore, I'm looking forward to taking a test drive when the BHA-1 comes to my town.

Dave

Vipers

« Reply #22 on: 26 Mar 2012, 02:45 pm »
shipping worst case the middle of next month.
james

Excellent news James, It's been far too long since I've unpacked a new piece of Bryston kit :)

Just hoping I'm in the first batch.

MellowVelo

« Reply #23 on: 6 Apr 2012, 12:38 pm »
James,

Is there anything that should prevent the user from hooking up multiple sources to the bha-1 at the same time? I'm thinking my turntable for single ended and my cd player for XLR.

Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 6 Apr 2012, 03:01 pm »
James,

Is there anything that should prevent the user from hooking up multiple sources to the bha-1 at the same time? I'm thinking my turntable for single ended and my cd player for XLR.

Thanks!

Hi,

No problem - the switch on the front lets you determine which source to listen to.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 6 Apr 2012, 06:26 pm »
Hi Folks

Just want to give you an update and an apology.  The BHA-1 headphone amp has been a bit of a frustration for us. We finally settled on the circuit we want to use and we built 6 prototypes that we have used at shows and to allow some dealers to demo and to say the least it has been a huge hit.

The good news ( depending on your point of view ) is we are back ordered big time --- the bad news is many of the parts are being built to our spec so we are further behind from our suppliers than I was originally told.

Anyway we should be in production at the end of April and filling orders shortly there after. Again my apology for the delay  :duh:

James
« Last Edit: 6 Apr 2012, 08:31 pm by James Tanner »

62Truck

« Reply #26 on: 6 Apr 2012, 06:56 pm »
Hi Folks

Just want to give you an update and an apology.  The BHA-1 headphone amp has been a bit of a frustration for us. We finally settled on the circuit we want to use and we built 6 prototypes that we have used at shows and to allow some dealers to demo and to say the least it has been a huge hit.

The good news is ( depending on your point of view ) is we are back ordered big time --- the bad news is many of the parts are being built to our spec so we are further behind from our supplies than I was originally told.

Anyway we should be in production at the end of April and filling orders shortly there after. Again my apology for the delay  :duh:

James

James, thank you so much for the update.  First class disclosures from a first class company.

MellowVelo

« Reply #27 on: 6 Apr 2012, 07:59 pm »
We finally settled on the circuit we want to use and we built 6 prototypes that we have used at shows and to allow some dealers to demo and to say the least it has been a huge hit.

James,

In regards to the final circuit that you settled upon, is it the same one that you used in the prototypes, or did you further refine it?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 6 Apr 2012, 08:25 pm »
James,

In regards to the final circuit that you settled upon, is it the same one that you used in the prototypes, or did you further refine it?

Hi

Same as the prototypes.

James

Vipers

« Reply #29 on: 8 Apr 2012, 10:04 pm »

James

Thanks for keeping us all in the loop James, I'm sure it will be more than worth the wait, just hope I'm near the top of that back ordered list :wink:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 10 Apr 2012, 11:35 am »
Hi Folks,

Got this from one of our new dealers that specializes in Headphones and Headphone amps:

"So just spent some time this morning with a few phones on the Bryston. The Audeze LCD-3, Beyerdynamic T1, Fostex TH-900 & because someone asked the UE11pro. I used the same set up from CanFest. PS Audio Perfect Wave Dac w the bridge card as the input, pulling data stream from our HP Media Server. I used Black Dragon Balanced Headphone cable to be consistent on the T1 and LCD-2. The Fostex is not re-cabled as this is not mine and has to go back to Fostex. I used balanced inputs form PWD and balanced output on the LCD-3 and T1. Others where via 1/4" jack.

The LCD-3 and the Bryston are ridiculous together. Just absolutely WOW!!!! I used all types of music. Volume control on the LCD-3 and Fostex where at about 9-11 o'clock depending on original track recording volume. And the T1 was at about 10:30 to 12 o'clock. The T1 and LCD-3 had the most bottom end weight and wow factor. However the Fostex was crisper, not bright just sizzled more. Man do I like the new Fostex. So much level headed across the frequency spectrum over the D7000. So clean. I would say of the 3 it was the best for critical listening. But the LCD-3 was just liquid awesome. So musical....The T1 was no slouch, it is still my vote for best bang for the buck over $1000. All 3 of these phones are fantastic choices for this amp. The great thing about Bryston gear has always been it's neutrality. None of their gear over colors the sound. Always very clean sounding.

So the UE11pro in low gain setting did not exhibit any hiss which usually happens when using such a high sensitivity monitor with a full size amp. The background of the amp is dead quite. I mean darker than dark quiet. There is not a lot of gain flexibility with the IEM but there is no reason you cant use it."

Drew

Vipers

« Reply #31 on: 10 Apr 2012, 04:14 pm »
MMmmmm, Audeze LCD-3's :drool:

Another glowing piece of feedback, I can see my headphone collection growing once I finally get my hands on the BHA-1 :roll:

Vipers

« Reply #32 on: 21 Apr 2012, 11:33 am »
Hi James,

Did a demo yetserday with a customer with a Naim Haedphone amp but he has got HiFiMan HE-6's and has his heart set on the BHA-1, just wondered if you had anymore news regarding availabilty?

Thanks,

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 21 Apr 2012, 12:53 pm »
Hi James,

Did a demo yetserday with a customer with a Naim Haedphone amp but he has got HiFiMan HE-6's and has his heart set on the BHA-1, just wondered if you had anymore news regarding availabilty?

Thanks,

Hi Vipers,

Yes we are using some special parts and they are starting to show up so we should be in production very shortly.

james

Vipers

« Reply #34 on: 21 Apr 2012, 03:38 pm »
Thanks James, I like the sound of 'Special Parts' :wink:

SoundGame

« Reply #35 on: 21 Apr 2012, 04:11 pm »
Hi Vipers,

Yes we are using some special parts and they are starting to show up so we should be in production very shortly.

james

Perhaps these "special parts" are "private parts" as well...LOL. :icon_lol:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #36 on: 27 Apr 2012, 04:06 pm »
Hi Folks,

Looks like we will be starting production on the Bryston Headphone Amp starting next week - here is a shot of the 'inners' circuitry of the final version.

james

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #37 on: 27 Apr 2012, 04:46 pm »
Sounds like a winner, have you posted anything over at head-fi?

SoundGame

« Reply #38 on: 27 Apr 2012, 04:48 pm »
Hi Folks,

Looks like we will be starting production on the Bryston Headphone Amp starting next week - here is a shot of the 'inners' circuitry of the final version.

james

James, I have to say that the BHA-1 has one of the cleanest, if not in fact the cleanest looking internal layouts of any Bryston component.  It virtually looks like a mini city with some top notch urban planning.  Thumbs up to those engineers!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #39 on: 27 Apr 2012, 04:51 pm »
Sounds like a winner, have you posted anything over at head-fi?

Hi,

Not yet.

james