Percussion Music vs Hi-End System

themadmilkman

Re: Percussion Music vs Hi-End System
« Reply #20 on: 20 Oct 2014, 03:57 pm »
So, NO, live music event cost, when extrapolated over time, are not more reasonable than a hi-fi system.

Especially given that recorded music allows us to appreciate historical performances.  What percentage of the population was able to see Bernstein conduct live?  And yet, I can pop in a silver disc and listen to performances that were recorded before I was born.

I still attend the symphony as often as I am able.  My stereo will never provide the "in your face" impact of a full symphony, but my local symphony will never provide me with the variety and convenience of my stereo.

kingdeezie

« Reply #21 on: 20 Oct 2014, 04:03 pm »
Especially given that recorded music allows us to appreciate historical performances.  What percentage of the population was able to see Bernstein conduct live?  And yet, I can pop in a silver disc and listen to performances that were recorded before I was born.

I still attend the symphony as often as I am able.  My stereo will never provide the "in your face" impact of a full symphony, but my local symphony will never provide me with the variety and convenience of my stereo.

Agreed.  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #22 on: 21 Oct 2014, 10:02 am »
Its a interesting calculation. So the only alternative music source seems  radio!
Its free for now.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #23 on: 21 Oct 2014, 12:07 pm »
Our audio systems are reproducing a recording of the original event.  They can never out perform, but at theoretical best match the original.  We are limited by the recording and all the technology.  Sound reproduction was the first means of providing virtual reality.  Convenient - hopefully, a "sterile" version of perfection - usually, but never will (or should) it replace the original event.  That would be a disservice to the performers and a scary sic-fi scenario (not unlike kids that prefer artificial foods to the real thing).

Listen at home can only remind us of the original performance.  The better the recording/playback, the less "reminding" we need.  Conversely, the better trained the listener, also the less "reminding" is needed (kind of like playing "Name That Tune").