AWS Question: Essense vs. Veritas

JohnnyKay

« on: 16 Aug 2004, 07:22 pm »
For Mike or others with experience:

I currently have ACIs for my HT system and use a pair of Emeralds and a Veritas center up front.  My goal is to move the Emeralds to another system at some point and replace them with either a pair of Essence V or Veritas V and wanted some info/opinions.

I took the Veritas as a B-stock since some (very) light surface damage didn't concern me in my configuration.  I have not been able to do much with the AWS as I don't have a center channel test disc to do the detailed calibrations--but I'm not disappointed with performance of the overall system as it stands by any stretch  :P

I guess I'm just wondering how much benefit the is in the AWS.  I use the Titan w/an 80Hz crossover for all listening in this system (which is probably 75-85% HT anyway).  So I assume any benefit is confined to the mid-range.  How demanding do I have to be to want the Veritas over the Essence?  How useful is it for tweaking the system?

Thanks and good to see you here Mike.

John

Mike Dzurko

Re: AWS Question: Essense vs. Veritas
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2004, 08:50 pm »
Quote from: JohnnyKay
For Mike or others with experience:

I currently have ACIs for my HT system and use a pair of Emeralds and a Veritas center up front.  My goal is to move the Emeralds to another system at some point and replace them with either a pair of Essence V or Veritas V and wanted some info/opinions.

I took the Veritas as a B-stock since some (very) light surface damage didn't concern me in my configuration.  I have not been able to do much with the AWS as I don't have a center channel test disc to do the detail ...

John:

Even if you don't use the AWS controls, the Veritas has the advantage of being a much easier speaker to drive. Because the internal amp takes care of everything from around 300Hz on down, it makes it real easy for the amp driving your center to perform its best.
My home HT has had a Veritas in it for months. Because everything is being changed around, I haven't had a chance to recalibrate the AWS. Even using it "flat" it sounds terrific. One thing I find VERY handy is the ability to adjust the volume of the 80-300Hz part of the spectrum. With the speaker on a stand, I have it up slightly over what it would be on a shelf and it's perfect.
Personally, I think having AWS is more of a benefit for the center than for the two mains. Generally the two mains can be placed in a pretty optimum position and don't benefit as much from the abilities of the AWS.  To get the most out of AWS it is really helpful to have an RTA. Being able to see the adjustments in real-time makes it much easier.
Even though the range that is adjustable is from 80-300Hz, it can subjectively sound like you've changed more than that range.

Hope I've answered your questions, I'll be glad to try to clarify or add more. . .

eastberlin

Veritas AWS amplifier
« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2004, 02:45 am »
The Veritas/AWS question has been on my mind lately.  I recently upgraded my rotel amp to an EAD and the difference in performance is nothing short of staggering.  Having an easy load to drive is no longer an issue.  So now it leaves me wondering if I'm losing part of that great EAD sound by running it through all those extra electronics in the AWS of my center channel Veritas.  Frankly, I can only assume I'm losing something and perhaps Mike can comment on that.

On the other hand, the AWS is doing a good job of taming an annoying 100hz peak in my room response that otherwise would force me to turn the volume down during movies.  I personally think the best long term solution would be to buy speaker models without the AWS and hope that I can afford a pre-processor with a good digital EQ/Speaker/Room correction in the not too distant future.  So that leads me to my next question:  Is there a way to bypass the Veritas amp and drive the speaker with only an external amplifer (like the Essense)?

Thanks!

Mike Dzurko

Re: Veritas AWS amplifier
« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2004, 03:30 pm »
Quote from: eastberlin
The Veritas/AWS question has been on my mind lately.  I recently upgraded my rotel amp to an EAD and the difference in performance is nothing short of staggering.  Having an easy load to drive is no longer an issue.  So now it leaves me wondering if I'm losing part of that great EAD sound by running it through all those extra electronics in the AWS of my center channel Veritas.  Frankly, I can only assume I'm losing something and perhaps Mike can comment on that.

On the other hand, the AWS is doing a go ...

Congrats on the EAD, glad you're enjoying the system. Rest assured, you are not losing anything by using the dedicated internal amp in the Veritas. What can be better than having the amp and speaker designed as a unit? Most speaker designers will tell you that if they had their way, they'd design all models as active models. Not something the market seems to be ready for, but the ideal from an engineering standpoint.

As you said yourself, the AWS eq allows you to take care of an annoying peak that otherwise intrudes on your enjoyment. You can also increase or decrease the gain of the AWS amp ever so slightly to either warm up the tonal balance or lean it out if needed.

I've used the Essence and Protege in my system and they're great. But I simply love the flexibility and sound quality the Veritas offers.

Great question, I hope I've answered it, let me know if you need any further clarification.

eastberlin

« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2004, 05:41 pm »
Mike,

I recognize the advantages of using active speakers, Genelec is a great example.  But in those designs, the speaker receives a balanced line level input directly from the preamp/processor which it then amplifies. For the Veritas it's an already amplified speaker level input which, I believe, must be reduced to line level and amplified yet again.  Those two extra stages are the source of my curiousity.  

Hypothetically, if used with a pre-processor like the Lexicon MC-12 with room equalization (v4) and amplifier load were not an issue, wouldn't the AWS section of the Veritas essentially be moot?  Which raises my question, wouldn't someone fortunate enough to have this issue be better off buying the Essence instead of the Veritas?  Also, is it possible to bypass the amplifier/AWS on the Veritas and turn it into an Essense?  

Last, has ACI toyed with the idea of designing a line of fully active speakers?  Thanks!

thugh

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2004, 12:28 am »
I originally had a Veritas Center but swapped it out for a Essence because of Lexicon V4 being forshadowed.

eastberlin

« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2004, 03:46 pm »
Quote from: thugh
I originally had a Veritas Center but swapped it out for a Essence because of Lexicon V4 being forshadowed.

thugh, nice system!  How do you like those panoramas all around you?  Must be wonderful.  I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience with room eq when you upgrade the MC-12 to v4.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2004, 05:19 pm »
Quote from: eastberlin
Mike,

I recognize the advantages of using active speakers, Genelec is a great example.  But in those designs, the speaker receives a balanced line level input directly from the preamp/processor which it then amplifies. For the Veritas it's an already amplified speaker level input which, I believe, must be reduced to line level and amplified yet again.  Those two extra stages are the source of my curiousity.  

Hypothetically, if used with a pre-processor like the Lexicon MC-12 with room equalization (v ...

I'd have to agree with you that if you have something like the Lex with very capable EQ processing the AWS in the Veritas becomes redundant. It doesn't hurt anything sonically compared to the Essence, it just adds extra, redundant cost. To "convert" a Veritas to an Essence would probably require removing the amp, having someone make a new rear panel to replace it, and mounting the lowpass crossover board from the Essence on the inside of that new back plate.

I'd love to do all active speakers. It still seems that the market is not really ready for this. Eventually I wouldn't doubt if virtually all speakers become fully active, but that seems a ways away right now.  Have a great day!