iMake Class-D

Rocket

iMake Class-D
« on: 18 Jan 2014, 12:29 am »
Hi Seth,

I don't much about the Class D Audio modules that you are suggesting and I'm wondering how they compare sound wise with tripath?  I thought Virtue Audio had done some development of your own high powered module? 

Regards Rod
ps. how are your pre orders going?
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2014, 09:38 am by Rocket »

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Re: iMake Class-D
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2014, 12:39 am »
Rod,

There are some really great technologies out there today. 

For lower power supplies (under 30v), Tripath is a great choice.  It's powerful, can be bridged, and has a very musical sound.  The new ONE.3 amps will run from 18-31v which is the sweet spot for most power technologies out there (ie. from laptop brick to batteries, etc.).  Almost every aspect of the amp is tunable - from power to input caps to POTs, etc.  It has non-linear qualities like tube amps (not necessarily the same qualities) which some people like.  I do.

For more "umph" and analytical sound, higher voltages help.  The IRS2092 is particularly clean and hard-driving.  We had a "bake-off" a few years ago and it was very impressive with stock supplies.  But if that level of clean, brute output is the goal there are now some even better if pricey options: ICEPower, NCore, Tommy's Cherry's, THX (new).  We'll try to offer something high value in the future.

In this arena, the long pole in the tent is power supply noise, and that's where I think the Tripath has a hard time keeping up.  The old Bel Canto Tripath amps were amazing.  And they weighed 60 lbs each because of the amazing PSU.   To some degree you can buy your way around the problem with batteries and big torroids.

It's a great time to be a buyer in this market and an even better time to start looking into the high-sensitivity side of things where there's more diversity in offerings (low power tubes, high sensitivity horns, etc.).
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2014, 03:47 am by virtue »

Rocket

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2014, 11:37 am »
Hi Seth,

Thanks for the clarification regarding the Class D Audio modules.  From my perspective I'll keep with the tripath because I want to experience the sound I heard so many years ago with the older bel canto class d amplifiers.  I don't need the extra power but I'm sure it would be useful for some of your customers if you chose to offer it as an option.

Regards Rod

bummrush

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2014, 02:52 pm »
So I wonder how those little Dayton amps sound, I hax a Bel canto int around 2007 and frankly it sucked

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2014, 03:15 pm »
PE bought Lepai apparently and they make some great products.

The DTA Tripath amps however - they were crap, proving that this is not foolproof.

If you want a solid 6ohm capable amp look at the TDA79x amps.

They are ST and use the Ffx/DDX output stage - same as ours.  The controller built in is also an Apogee design.  12+ year old technology. 

Sounds great!

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2014, 10:45 am »
Hi,

I demoed a bel canto integrated a number of years ago and I didn't like it either.  That particular model actually used ice power technology and you have to go back to bel canto's digital amplifiers in the early 2000's.  Ice power has a different sound quality to tripath.

Regards Rod