HT Bypass - help me hook it up please...

Pycroft

HT Bypass - help me hook it up please...
« on: 15 Feb 2012, 06:59 pm »
Hello...
I have been on a quest to find a preamp that has HT Bypass, and found out I have one.  I was directed to a website that said my preamp does.  Here is what it says:

Home Theatre bypass: Connect volume controlled TV audio Front Left & Right with RCA interconnect cables to one pair of L & R TAD-150 OUTPUT RCA jacks(why there is an extra set). Now you can select TV audio or 2-channel music audio using your HT front amps and speakers. Select TV audio or Music audio sources by using the TAD-150 remote Mute button or by clicking the TAD-150 power switch off to select TV. For 2-channel music play it is best switching the TV sound off.

I have no idea what any of this means.  Is someone willing to walk me through this since I am new.  I was just told that I can never hook an output to an output.  I was expecting a button for HT bypass to be on the preamp which is why I didn't even think to check.  The above instructions, which confuse me, make it sound like I somehow plug something into the TV?

Here is a picture of my preamp. Thanks in advance with any advice.

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/bizzyb/TAD-150PIC.html

James

WC

Re: HT Bypass - help me hook it up please...
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2012, 07:23 pm »
Basically it is backfeeding the signal through the RCA ouputs at the back of the Pre-amp. That is why you would need to mute or turn off the preamp to use the TV inputs. Otherwise you would have two competing signals. Other preamps implement the hT bypass as an input that is directly switchable to the outputs basically bypassing the preamp.

billmcc

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2012, 08:34 pm »
I had a TADAC tube preamp/DAC and it also had HT Bypass. I would email Paul Grzybek the owner of TAD if you have any specific questions on the TAD-150.

Bill

Pycroft

« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2012, 03:50 am »
I did e-mail Paul and am awaiting some answers.  While waiting, I've played around and figured some out.  I am able to get sound through the process.  I did read somewhere that I am able to play everything while the preamp is turned off - any clue how this occurs.  Simply turning it off did not work :)

James