Led Zeppelin still rocks!!

soundbitten1

Re: Led Zeppelin still rocks!!
« Reply #20 on: 14 Feb 2017, 08:45 pm »
I remember buying and first hearing their their debut album in '69. Their sound was so huge, I was amazed ... something I had never heard on record before.

PSB Guy

« Reply #21 on: 14 Feb 2017, 08:55 pm »
I remember buying and first hearing their their debut album in '69. Their sound was so huge, I was amazed ... something I had never heard on record before.
I can just imagine, having been born in '68. There wasn't much of anything like that around at the time. It must have been a mesmerizing experience for many people, much like when Jimi Hendrix first broke on the scene.

Cornelis

wushuliu

« Reply #22 on: 14 Feb 2017, 11:27 pm »
I did not understand the hype as a teen in the 80s. The albums were okay but didn't wow me until I heard the live recordings from how the West was won. Oh my God. Best live recordings ever.

MttBsh

« Reply #23 on: 14 Feb 2017, 11:44 pm »
In June 1972 I saw the Stones on both their early and late shows June 4th, Jethro Tull June 11th and Zeppelin on June 19th - all in the Seattle Center Coliseum, and all sold out  Those were the days (tickets were about $5.00 for each show)!
To be honest, Tull's performance was so amazing for me personally that Led Zeppelin was a bit of a letdown. Believe it or not a lot of folks left during the encore. I still thought they were great but the bar had been set very high by the concerts the weeks before.

Mike B.

« Reply #24 on: 15 Feb 2017, 04:39 am »
In June 1972 I saw the Stones on both their early and late shows June 4th, Jethro Tull June 11th and Zeppelin on June 19th - all in the Seattle Center Coliseum, and all sold out  Those were the days (tickets were about $5.00 for each show)!
To be honest, Tull's performance was so amazing for me personally that Led Zeppelin was a bit of a letdown. Believe it or not a lot of folks left during the encore. I still thought they were great but the bar had been set very high by the concerts the weeks before.

Who opened for the Stones? I saw them at the Seattle center but don't remember if that as 72? Stevie Wonder opened the show I saw.

MttBsh

« Reply #25 on: 15 Feb 2017, 07:27 am »
Who opened for the Stones? I saw them at the Seattle center but don't remember if that as 72? Stevie Wonder opened the show I saw.

Yep, Stevie Wonder was the opening act, and it was June 1972. I remember a couple of months earlier waiting before dawn with thousands of others for the ticket booths at Memorial Stadium to open so that we could get the Stones tickets. Was that really 45 years ago? I was 16 and life was good. It still is!

Mike B.

« Reply #26 on: 15 Feb 2017, 03:28 pm »
Yep, Stevie Wonder was the opening act, and it was June 1972. I remember a couple of months earlier waiting before dawn with thousands of others for the ticket booths at Memorial Stadium to open so that we could get the Stones tickets. Was that really 45 years ago? I was 16 and life was good. It still is!

I drove up with four friends from PDX to get tickets. What a cluster that was. Huge crowd trying to filter down to I think four booths. We got separated from two of our group. Tom and I were both 6'3" so we could at least get fresh air. About two hours into this mess we heard a girl crying close by. We pushed our way to her. She was bare footed and quite small. We sheltered her all the way to the ticket window. I think it took 4 hours to get there. I have to laugh at it all now. We sat on the floor about 50 feet from the show, so that made up for the hassle.

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #27 on: 15 Feb 2017, 08:02 pm »
Wish Zeppelin would finally release the Osaka tapes....

https://youtu.be/3a-IH9GcPWQ

roscoeiii

« Reply #28 on: 15 Feb 2017, 09:18 pm »
Agree with the earlier post on How the West Was Won. Hearing that live 3 CD set made LZ come alive for me again. I'd heard the albums so many times, it was a real injection of energy.

Also, for the vinyl heads on this thread, it is well worth your while to track down the famous RL version of the Led Zepp II LP. A sonic masterpiece. Apparently it was so dynamic that it made the needle on an Atlantic executive's daughter's record player skip. So the exec had the LP remastered and tamed down. So the story goes...