STA 9 Fuse Upgrade

ameger

STA 9 Fuse Upgrade
« on: 3 Feb 2017, 11:12 pm »
Wanted to let everyone know this upgrade for the STA 9 amplifier. I have two STA 9s in mono mode. I replaced the stock fuses with Synergistic Research Black Quantum Fuses. The fuses made a significant improvement to the sound. A more natural sound with a bigger soundstage than the stock fuses.

I was skeptical at first, and they are pricey, but well worth it in my opinion! It does take a while for the fuses to break-in and really shine- like 100+ hours.

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
Re: STA 9 Fuse Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2017, 12:20 am »
Interesting, I just got a pair to mono, where did you buy yours at?

SFDude

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2017, 03:05 am »
 :o :o :o :o

Are there other fuse alternatives to Synergistics that aren't about $120/per fuse? My brain is having trouble reconciling this on my wallet. :(

JackD

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2017, 05:08 am »
AMR Gold fuse from the UK. Less than $20 and since they actually manufacture gear under their brand name plus iFi I trust they test them in their own gear before bringing them to market. 

SFDude

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2017, 07:34 pm »
AMR Gold fuse from the UK. Less than $20 and since they actually manufacture gear under their brand name plus iFi I trust they test them in their own gear before bringing them to market.

Have you compared these to the stock fuses? The reviews I've read on the Synergistic BLACK seems to be really positive though.

But buying a pair (or more for other pieces of gear) is pricey. Especially when other expenses to nail the system down are beckoning. Priorities! :)

JackD

« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2017, 08:19 pm »
I've compared them to the stock fuses in the Modwright LS-100, the Musical Paradise MP-D2, the PS Audio BHK 250 and the Nord One Up stereo amp.
The result was positive in all of them. When I think about it I will order one for the Nuprime DAC-10 and ST-10. That is about the extent of the amount I am going to spend on a fuse. 

Bill_Bill

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2017, 02:24 am »
Just wandering did you use the stock power cable or upgraded the power cable before change the fuse? And for the fuse, did you use T3.15A or T3A as T3A is not as common as the T3.15A, thanks!

JackD

« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2017, 09:56 pm »
Bill

I've never used the stock power cords on any of the listed gear or the Nuprime gear.  Yes I used the 3.15 amp.

Bill_Bill

« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2017, 03:37 am »
Thanks Jack! :)

JackD

« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2017, 04:58 am »
Bill

This is where I ordered from several times.  Best prices I found.

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/

Also the "Create" ceramic fuses on Ebay are pretty good too.

rustydoglim

« Reply #10 on: 8 Feb 2017, 02:50 pm »
If you guys are going to spend ridiculous money on fuse, I will look into upgrading the fuse, if that make sense. We don't see the science behind high end fuse, but willing to keep an open mind.

JackD

« Reply #11 on: 8 Feb 2017, 03:58 pm »
Jason

The "Create" brand fuses which ship from Hong Kong are a reasonably priced alternative at $10 shipped.

Genez

« Reply #12 on: 10 Feb 2017, 04:51 am »
Jason

The "Create" brand fuses which ship from Hong Kong are a reasonably priced alternative at $10 shipped.
    Create Fuses here:   http://www.partsconnexion.com/fuse_create_stnd_lrg.html

I found that any quality ceramic fuse will improve the sound over stock.  Some audiophile fuse brands tune for a signature sound.   And, direction of the fuse makes a difference.

Here are some short good articles on the subject.  Written by PS Audio's president. 

http://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/fuses/ 

http://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/double-edged-swords/

zwizardofoz

« Reply #13 on: 10 Feb 2017, 04:58 pm »
Different maybe but why must it always end up sounding better...the elections don't care...in AC the electrons change direction every cycle. If I tell you my $50 fuses will solve all your issues ... I'll happily take your money.

Genez

« Reply #14 on: 10 Feb 2017, 05:36 pm »
Different maybe but why must it always end up sounding better...the elections don't care...in AC the electrons change direction every cycle. If I tell you my $50 fuses will solve all your issues ... I'll happily take your money.

Did you read the links to the discussions?   Why do certain tubes sound better than others?  Same tube in theory. It could be like two same engines in two cars.  One with good motor mounts.  The other with cheap motor mounts.  Same engines.  Gasoline and spark plugs don't care.... the ride is not the same.

Anyone who ends up with a great sounding system has goofed along the line and ended up buying a few things he no longer wanted.  But, its what he has after his "research and development" of his system that counts.  Closed minds never grow.  Open minds will make mistakes.  One grows.

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
« Reply #15 on: 10 Feb 2017, 06:31 pm »
What size fuses are in the STA9 amps, I can't remember... :scratch:....5 x 20, 6.3 x 32...

zwizardofoz

« Reply #16 on: 10 Feb 2017, 06:56 pm »
If things such as a simple fuse make so much difference then why are they not part of the design and manufacturing process.

A complete engine or construction tubes which are different to a piece of wire...if 20mm of wire can make your equipment sound different and you can hear it then all the power to you and your bank account. I would be bitching to the manufacturer for short changing you in the parts and ultimate performance of your amp for the sake of a fuse or 2.

Anyway we all have our opinions and mine won't change yours or anyone else's so let's leave it at that.

And yes I have tried different fuses and even bypassed them totally just in case you are wondering.

Prove that after 100 hours of listening you can stake your life on it sounding better...why must it always be better, different perhaps? Because you think it better otherwise you just threw a chuck of money down the toilet.  Even Jason I think will draw the line ...my mind is open but I have never heard such changes from a fuse in my life and I don't expect to hear any any time soon.

srb

« Reply #17 on: 10 Feb 2017, 07:17 pm »
If things such as a simple fuse make so much difference then why are they not part of the design and manufacturing process.

One reason would be that the majority of audiophile fuses have no agency testing approvals and could place the manufacturer in an unwanted liability situation.

Genez

« Reply #18 on: 10 Feb 2017, 07:23 pm »
Its like getting a car with OEM tires... you want sport?  You have to add them.  But, if you get a sports car?  Then they better have them. High end companies are aware. For example,  PS Audio uses audiophile fuses in their equipment.   

A complete engine or construction tubes which are different to a piece of wire...if 20mm of wire can make your equipment sound different and you can hear it then all the power to you and your bank account. I would be bitching to the manufacturer for short changing you in the parts and ultimate performance of your amp for the sake of a fuse or 2.

Its all about the wire inside the fuse.   There are vibrations that take place within a fuse.  Ceramic fuses cancel some of the vibrational effect.   Just like "tube dampers" are sold to place over tubes. The type of wire material will effect the sound as well.

Anyway we all have our opinions and mine won't change yours or anyone else's so let's leave it at that.

I have my ears.   You have opinions?

And yes I have tried different fuses and even bypassed them totally just in case you are wondering.

Prove that after 100 hours of listening you can stake your life on it sounding better...why must it always be better, different perhaps? Because you think it better otherwise you just threw a chuck of money down the toilet.  Even Jason I think will draw the line ...my mind is open but I have never heard such changes from a fuse in my life and I don't expect to hear any any time soon.

Its all about transparency.   Without it?  Be content.  Power cables... interconnects... fuses.  They all can make a difference.  But, only if they can be detected.

JackD

« Reply #19 on: 10 Feb 2017, 10:13 pm »
That liability issue is one of the reasons I am comfortable with a fuse developed and sold by an actual equipment manufacturer.  If they will ship it with their own gear it has been tested. At just over $15 a piece not a great risk involved.