Bryston 28BSST2 owners please check in ....

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
Bryston 28BSST2 owners please check in ....
« on: 10 Jun 2015, 02:41 am »
Thinking about a pair again but this time pulling the trigger. Please tell me how long you've owned them and how much you love them. I have SF Strads and am looking at the 28's as keepers. I plan on using my CJ GAT and/or a tube dac direct as the mood strikes me. I'd love your opinion. No, I don't need the power but don't want to think what if I only bought the 28's .....

I believe Bryston and Sonus Faber go really well together. Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks!

Rod_S

Re: Bryston 28BSST2 owners please check in ....
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2015, 07:56 pm »
28 owner here. I've had them since November of 2013 and they are great. They power a pair of B&W 800 Diamonds (D2's) and are always super clean and neutral regardless of listening volume.

I'm like you, I don't need the power but always lusted after the flagship. In my small space the 4B-SST never seemed to be stressed so really if going monos all I would need would be 7's not 28's but the 28's are just badass :) Plus the 1000 watt matching of the 800 Diamonds max handling was cool.

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2015, 09:33 pm »
Thank you Rod. I bet your combo sounds awesome. I appreciate your input.

G E

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2015, 01:18 am »
Should have a pair by end of next week. Have enjoyed a 4bsst2 for past 5 years and happy to share impressions. Stay tuned!

Rod_S

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jul 2015, 01:38 am »
Congrats! There aren't many of us out there so it's always nice to see other owners and read about their experience.

drummermitchell

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2015, 01:49 am »
4's 7's 28's had and have had them all
now 7's n 28's I sleeep long into the night an just before sunrise.
Totally satisfied,for me it' like a LIVE band and obviously there are dynamics...soooo
For me, more power the better as I couldn't stand if something wasn't let loose but that's just me.
It would drive me crazy.
Perhaps with the above and the 2X240v Torus my nights have beeen.................................. ..........
I tink I's satisfied.

G E

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2015, 01:54 am »
You are making me giddy....

G E

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2015, 12:19 am »
Got my pair yesterday morning and got them in place and connected. Originally I wanted them without the front handles but I was very thankful for them as I moved them into place. Thank goodness these didn't have to go on a rack!

My very first impression was that it didn't sound all that different than my 4bsst2. Maybe better imaging, better 3d sound stage ...  had I made a multi-kilo-buck mistake ?

But as the night wore on it was clear these were something very special. It was interesting to hear the changes over time.  Perhaps the capacitors had to get acquainted with the upstream and downstream components.

A Japanese pressing of Avalon and a Dutch Pressing of Who By Numbers brought it home. Jeff beck Live at Ronnie Scott's (bluray) sealed the deal.

i am playing them as I write this and it is obvious from my first record tonight, zappa's waka jawaka hot rats, that the an evening of magic is at hand.

I will share more fully formed impressions after living with them for a couple weeks

Rest assured I no longer question my wisdom in bring them on board. Stay tuned!

Rod_S

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2015, 02:54 am »
Congrats! I'm glad they ended up meeting if not exceeding your expectations. You are right they have a lot in common with their lower power siblings and as James would confirm that is the philosophy of the amps. The customer shouldn't have to choose the amp based on the type of sound it's going to produce but rather the power they need or is so often the case simply want. It's the more subtle nuances you notice over time that tends to separate them. I think what you'll find with the 28's are their incredible ability to play exceptionally well at very low volumes.

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jul 2015, 09:23 pm »
Congratulations G E!

So happy for you. Can't wait for my pair.

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #10 on: 20 Jul 2015, 05:48 pm »
Dealer is letting me demo a pair of 28BSST2's in my system.  Holy cow.  Love them.  Powerful, smooth, big tremendous soundstage and tons of bass.  I really didn't know what to expect having only heard the 4BSST2 several years ago. It was in an unfamiliar system but liked what I heard enough to obsess about the amps in my system.

Based on the past couple of days, I'm ordering a pair. Thanks to all those who responded and to James Tanner for answering all my past questions and making such a great product.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jul 2015, 06:19 pm »
Dealer is letting me demo a pair of 28BSST2's in my system.  Holy cow.  Love them.  Powerful, smooth, big tremendous soundstage and tons of bass.  I really didn't know what to expect having only heard the 4BSST2 several years ago. It was in an unfamiliar system but liked what I heard enough to obsess about the amps in my system.

Based on the past couple of days, I'm ordering a pair. Thanks to all those who responded and to James Tanner for answering all my past questions and making such a great product.

Glad you are enjoying them td - the 28's really are a special amplifier. :thumb:

james

PS - who was the dealer that loaned you the pair?

G E

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jul 2015, 06:30 pm »
The 28's are something else. They are solid and powerful and the soundstage is wonderfully 3d and expansive.  Yet they excel in microdynamics and inner detail and do so with delicacy.  It's uncanny.  They are my Gentle Giants!

Had my neighbor friend over for a listen on Saturday. And some single malt. After listening for a while he observed, " where do you go from here? No where"

I guess I have achieved "11"

:-)

klao

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jul 2015, 07:16 pm »
My late checking in.. and congrats to tdinut for the right choice made.  :thumb:

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #14 on: 20 Jul 2015, 09:24 pm »
Yes, absolutely wonderful amps.

G E

« Reply #15 on: 26 Jul 2015, 03:40 am »
Extended listening session ran until 2:00 am this morning. These amps are incredible. Almost all vinyl listening. Played some hi res digitalstuff briefly and went right back to vinyl.

I closed out the night with a compilation of billy holiday songs and Charles Mingus' Changes 2. Wow, what a well produced record. These amps excel at reproducing wood winds. Bite with warmth and no stridency. Same with brass. I had not played these records in a while and it was a treat to revisit them.

Last weekend a neighbor dropped in and played a billy holiday elpee- a recording of her last public performance. Red star burst looking vinyl pressed in Germany limited to several hundred copies. That was revelatory as well. This was an outdoor concert and in couple spots there are aircraft landings that almost drown out the proceedings. Nice to hear a straight forward recording done on the fly, so to speak

Absolutely wonderful amps. I am so happy to have them in my system
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2015, 01:02 pm by G E »

G E

« Reply #16 on: 15 Aug 2015, 01:06 am »
I listen primarily to vinyl and some of these productions sound amazingly "tape-like"

Does anyone here run a R2R front end?  Must be sublime!

Rod_S

« Reply #17 on: 19 Aug 2015, 01:08 pm »
Do you all plug your 28's into some form of power conditioner, etc. or just straight into the wall? If using a form of conditioning, etc. what is your power unit and do you have 20A outlets? I'm just curious how people are connecting these beasts.

G E

« Reply #18 on: 19 Aug 2015, 03:04 pm »
Do you all plug your 28's into some form of power conditioner, etc. or just straight into the wall? If using a form of conditioning, etc. what is your power unit and do you have 20A outlets? I'm just curious how people are connecting these beasts.

I have a dedicated 20 amp circuit for my listening room.  Outlets are Pass and Seymour hospital grade rated for 20 amp use.  They are bright orange, distinguishing them from the regular 15 amp service for lamps etc.

No conditioning used but I do have a surge protector for my plasma monitor.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #19 on: 19 Aug 2015, 06:04 pm »
  The 28b's have an excellent power section. not many conditioners help. They mostly add coloration and limit dynamics. the exception being the PIAudio Uberbuss and Torus combo. Ya think you like it now oh my !!!

charles