Newly Built AV-1 Mini-Monitors Speakers

Ron

Newly Built AV-1 Mini-Monitors Speakers
« on: 11 May 2015, 02:07 pm »
I just finished building a pair of GR Research AV-1 Mini-Monitors this past weekend. I'm very pleased with how they turned out both in appearance and sound quality. The crossover networks were built using Sonicap Gen. 1
capacitors bypassed with .1 uf Gen. 2 capacitors. The cabinets were built in accordance with the GR Research  construction drawing using 3/4" MDF except that I added internal bracing for increased structural strength. I lined the cabinet interior walls with No-Rez sound damping treatment. Also, the back half of the cabinets were lightly filled with Acoust-Stuff damping material for improved bass and cleaner, smoother midrange performance. The cabinets were finished in natural cherry veneer with multiple coats of wipe on satin polyurethane. Even though the AV-1's are one of the least expensive  speaker kits that GR Research offers, their sound quality is amazing. Lows are clean and well defined down to around 55 hz. If you want deeper, more powerful bass a subwoofer is recommended. Imaging is wide, deep, and stable. Overall sound is very clean, open, and extended with a somewhat lively sound quality but never harsh or over bright. I have noticed that the AV-1's sound remains clean and stable even at moderately loud listening levels. Even though the AV-1's don't have quite the definition, smoothness, and clarity of the N series speakers they come very close in my opinion. The overall sound quality of the AV-1's as well as the other AV series speakers can be characterized as somewhat lively which some people prefer with excellent vocal reproduction. They really sound great for home theater use or listening to jazz or similar type music. 

The following pictures show how they  look:

« Last Edit: 12 May 2015, 01:20 pm by Ron »

lacro

Re: Newly Built AV-1 Mini-Monitors Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2015, 03:24 pm »
I just finished building a pair of GR Research AV-1 Mini-Monitors this past weekend. I'm very pleased with how they turned out both in appearance and sound quality. The crossover networks were built using Sonicap Gen. 1
capacitors bypassed with .1 uf Gen. 2 capacitors. The cabinets were built in accordance with the GR Research  construction drawing using 3/4" MDF except that I added internal bracing for increased structural strength. I lined the cabinet interior walls with No-Rez sound damping treatment. Also, the back half of the cabinets were lightly filled with Acoust-Stuff damping material for improved bass and cleaner, smoother midrange performance. The cabinets were finished in natural cherry veneer with multiple coats of wipe on satin polyurethane. Even though the AV-1's are one of the least expensive  speaker kits that GR Research offers, their sound quality is amazing. Lows are clean and well defined down to around 55 hz. If you want deeper, more powerful bass a subwoofer is recommended. Imaging is wide, deep, and stable. Overall sound is very clean, open, and extended with a somewhat lively sound quality but never harsh or over bright. I have noticed that the AV-1's sound remains clean and stable even at moderately loud listening levels. Even though the AV-1's don't have the definition, smoothness, and clarity of the N series speakers the come very close in my opinion. The overall sound quality of the AV-1's as well as the other AV series speakers can be characterized as somewhat lively which some people prefer with excellent vocal reproduction. They really sound great for home theater use or listening to jazz or similar type music. 

Nice work Ron! Glad to see your building again.... How do they compare with modded Encores?

Ron

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2015, 05:44 pm »
Hi Larry,

In comparing the X-LS Encores with the AV-1's, the Encores definitely have stronger, deeper bass since they use a larger 6-1/2" woofer compared to AV-1's 5-1/4" woofer. Also, the Encores have a flatter, smoother frequency response than the AV-1's, while the AV-1's have a warmer, livelier, sound without sounding over bright or harsh. From what I have read, the AV-2's , which use a second woofer in an MTM arrangement, really sound great. They have stronger bass, play louder, and have higher sensitivity, but have a 4 ohm impedance.

Ron

jeffh

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2015, 07:10 pm »
Looks real nice Ron. I really like the Cherry veneer.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2015, 07:44 pm »
Great work as usual Ron.

Ron

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2015, 08:27 pm »
  Thanks Jeff and Danny. Appreciate the compliment.

Captainhemo

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2015, 02:40 am »
 :thumb: :thumb: as usualy Ron.   
I like the cherry too

Jay

Ron

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2015, 02:14 pm »
  Thanks Jay.  Cherry does look very nice if finished properly.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2015, 04:33 pm »
Nice job, Ron. :thumb:

Ron

« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2015, 05:40 pm »
   Thanks Roy.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2015, 06:28 pm »
Well done, Ron!

Cherry has always been one of my favorites.

$450.00, plus shipping?! Somebody's getting one heck of a deal. :thumb:

It appears as though the recess diameter is a tad over-sized? The flash is likely exaggerating it. However, if you color the inside of the recess black it'll hide the raw MDF and the gap will appear tighter.

Best,

Ruben

Ron

« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2015, 08:48 pm »
  Thanks Ruben for the compliment. Cherry is one of my favorites too.

The recess diameter was inadvertently cut smaller than the OD of input terminal cup. As a result, I ended up surface mounting the cup rather than recessing it. Actually it doesn't look bad at all.

Ron

srb

« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2015, 08:54 pm »
The recess diameter was inadvertently cut smaller than the OD of input terminal cup. As a result, I ended up surface mounting the cup rather than recessing it. Actually it doesn't look bad at all.

Looking at the photos I assumed Ruben was addressing the slightly oversized tweeter recess?

Steve

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 13 May 2015, 12:10 am »
Ron,

Nice job. You can never go wrong with cherry. It's a classic.

Mike

Ron

« Reply #14 on: 13 May 2015, 03:10 am »
  Thanks Mike. Cherry is a favorite with a lot of people.

Steve - Ruben is correct. I used a Jasper circle cutting jig for the tweeter recess cuts. Sometimes the holes will end up slightly larger when using the Jasper which creates a small gap between the edge of the tweeter flange and the edge of the recess cut.  I will go back and paint the inside of the recess black as Ruben suggested to make the gap appear tighter.

Ron

« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2015, 11:43 am »
  Attached is a web link to a nice review of the AV-1's by High Fidelity magazine that was done a few years back:  http://www.highfidelityreview.com/gr-research-av-1.html

Subsequent to this review the AV-1's crossover was upgraded from a series type to a parallel type. Also, the GR T-2 tweeter has been upgraded to the GR T-3. Overall performance of the latest AV-1's is even better than the pair tested by High Fidelity magazine.

Rocket

« Reply #16 on: 24 May 2015, 02:42 am »
Hi Ron,

Glad your back building speakers again.  I'd buy them but shipping to Australia is quite expensive.  Good luck with the sale.

Cheers Rod