Economical/cheap web site builder ?

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
Economical/cheap web site builder ?
« on: 7 May 2015, 06:06 pm »
I am currently using a web site builder that has very good support and very good software/servers. It is a good company.

But, I am going to start a new web site for a friend who is going to start a new company, here in my area.. And I am looking for a better deal.

Now, the web site builder I am using, charges me 15.00 per month. If I start a new site with them, they want 20.00 per month. For the use of there software/servers. And they work flawlessly. The site hasn't went down in over ten years, with my current provider.

Does anyone know if there is a "cheaper web site builder" out there...?

thanks,
V....

WGH

Re: Economical/cheap web site builder ?
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2015, 08:37 pm »
I don't have any answers because I still use DreamweaverMX from 2002 to update my site but I do have questions to consider:

• Who is going to maintain and update the new site? Website content has to be kept fresh.
  • Is the site going to be mobile friendly? Mine isn't.

Google's New Search Algorithm Stokes Fears Of 'Mobilegeddon'

"The change is only taking place on Google searches made on smartphones. The results will favor websites deemed "mobile friendly," giving them higher rankings than sites that are only optimized for desktops and laptops."

Ian Lurie, CEO of Portent: "It's an investment. Even if you're building a brand new website, it's more expensive to build a website that's ready and renders well on a mobile device than to build a site that just looks good on the desktop. ... It'll be 25 percent or so higher than building a site that is only desktop ready."

Wayne

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2015, 08:58 pm »
My current web hosting company is very good, works fine with mobile stuff. But, it's like $5.00 dollars more a month for the better service. I'm not sure if the "other" company will provide me with the same thing, although they are giants in this arena.

The "other" company is big and is sometimes a pain to endure there web site for proper information. My current company is smaller, much smaller and easy to navigate and deal with...

All of this web site building/domain name/hosting business gives me a headache, but I got to deal with it..

it is what it is...

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2015, 09:02 pm »
Whats the difference between Linux with cPanel or Windows with Plesk Control Panel ?

Anyone know ?

V...

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2015, 10:26 pm »
No help from me, V, but perhaps you can name the one you use and like.

I've had a domain name for a while and I really need to build a site or have one built. $20 a month does not seem like a lot, but I know close to nothing about hosting and site building.

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2015, 11:24 pm »
I use Photobiz right now. (I hope saying there name doesn't offend anyone, I am not trying to sell there product.) They charge 20.00 per month and another small fee for domain names. Very easy to work with and build a site with. I've been with them a long time and still get the locked in rate of 15.00 per month.

But, I'm switching to the big name brand store, with the lower quality service and save a little each month. The software is completely different, I hope I don't regret it. I just bought another domain name and web site, and just went over there software, it doesn't look as simple and neat/clean as Photobiz.

But, I'll be combining all of my domain names/servers/software/hosting. Maybe that will help in the long run.

Pete,
You could build your own, using Photobiz, easy software, I think a 75.00 start up fee. They might have a half off deal going right now.

rooze

« Reply #6 on: 8 May 2015, 02:26 am »
Hostgator's 'Hatchling Plan' is a good deal at around $9/mth. WordPress is a good platform for most websites and you can find a fully customizable WordPress theme that's mobile responsive. I quite like the Divi theme from elegantthemes.com - it's versatile and easy to work with.

There's a one-click install for Wordpress via CPanel, which comes with your Hostgator hosting plan. Or Joomla, or Drupal, whatever flavor of CMS you happen to like.

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2015, 01:32 pm »
I ended up taking all three of my sites to Go Daddy. Photo biz has a new staff, there old staff left and there service has diminished. And I can't have that. And Photobiz is about twice the cost per year.

Thanks for your input..

V....

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2015, 12:17 am »
OK good luck. Hope you have better luck than my friend did at GD. Too many problems there.

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2015, 02:07 am »
OK good luck. Hope you have better luck than my friend did at GD. Too many problems there.

I am definitely not a fan of there site, it takes four different key strokes just to get to the management page of your web builder, once logged in. Which makes no since, that's just poor design.

But, Photobiz is getting bigger and there staff are acting more arrogant and making poor business practices in how they handle clients and they charge a premium price for one site. I was there for five years and paid for there service on time, every month for five years straight. And there send off was basically, "don't let the screen door hit you where the good lord slip you".......

They both have there down sides, but GD is nearly half the price, maybe one day I will find a younger/better company to host my site. But, companies evolve and grow into the monsters they are. Very few grow and keep there small business ideology/practices. Just the nature of the beast, I guess.

where/what product are you using for web building/hosting services ?

V...

charmerci

« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2015, 09:06 pm »
I just use weebly for my personal site - non-business.

I'll ask my friend. Will post by tomorrow.

charmerci

« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2015, 03:42 pm »
My friend does this as his profession. It's by invite only. PM me for more info.

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #12 on: 17 Jun 2015, 07:11 pm »
well, I've tried Godaddy and Photobiz, not trying to support either but, this has been my experience, so far.

Photobiz has great, very stable software and support, very simply put, nearly perfect. I have never had a problem with them/software in five+ years. But, they cost twice as much as Godaddy.

But, with Godaddy, it's been a real struggle, at half the cost. poor software as best, very poor software. Some how it perpetually changes some of the design structure of my website, at random times. And there are periods thru the day, where you can't access my web builder program to change the design. I'm going to give it some more time and see if it changes..gets better.

I hope maybe someday this info might help others, if they decide to build/design there own web site.

V..