How much better…M5-HP X-2

mgsboedmisodpc2

How much better…M5-HP X-2
« on: 16 Jul 2014, 05:38 pm »
I am currently using an X-2 between my model 3 and 2WQ.  Is the M5-HP that much better to warrant a tenfold price differential?
I just want to know if I will hear a difference. 
Yes the M5-HP has flexibility built into the design as a benefit.

Drew769

Re: How much better…M5-HP X-2
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2014, 08:09 pm »
I'll let you know in about a month.  I'm going to be installing a set of M5-HPs in place of my X-2s with my Treo and dual 2WQ setup.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2014, 08:15 pm »
I'll be waiting to hear of your results also.  I currently have X-2s with a pair of 2WQs.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2014, 08:39 pm »
Saw some M5-HP on ebay a while back and did not move on them but am still curious the performance benefits noticed by anyone that used an X-2 in the past

Drew769

« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2014, 09:50 pm »
So I finally had some listening time on my Treos with the two 2Wqs using the M5-HP Boxes.  I have a Rogue Audio ST-90 Amp, which has a 200 ohm input impedence.  I set the boxes using the corrected values for the 2WQ (not the values on the boxes which correspond to the Model 5, 7, and Quatro).

I have to say that when I opened the boxes, I had a moment of "I can't believe these things retail for close to $1,000" moment.  It's not that they aren't well made - they are solid.  It's just a lot of money for a couple of boxes and some misc. circuitry, caps, resistors and a Duracell Ultra soldering (yes, soldered) in.

Any reservations ended when I turned on the system, though.  These things made a huge difference in the sound.  The bass was better, and the main speakers sounded clearer, better defined.  I had to actually change my subwoofer settings - I took the Q contour down (towards tighter) by one stop, and turned the gain down one stop as well.  A Tori Amos CD I played was actually breathtaking...her presence in the room with me.

I think these are a no-brainer for all users of anything Vandersteen than is high-passed - even the 2WQs with model 1's or 2's.  It is a lot of money, but the sound is well worth it  (look for them used, but remember you will need new batteries most likely).

C17FXR

• Remember, you don't have to rewind the Blu-ray.
« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2014, 02:08 pm »
Drew769
Great write up.
Not sure if you've seen it, but on the Vandersteen Q&A section there is directions on how to dial in the MP-5HP's using a volt meter.
It will help you pin point the exact point that works best within your room.
Or at least it used to be there, not sure if it is or not, with them revamping the Q&A section.
I will look to see if I have it, I'm going to need it here in a few weeks setting up me room.
Let me know what you find.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #6 on: 31 Oct 2014, 04:33 pm »
So Drew769 you have gone thru three crossovers designed for use with VANDERSTEEN subs external or internal :).
I think there is another external crossover to be used with the model 7 but I cannot think of its name.
Maybe the M7-HP is its name?

Guess one would have to upgrade to a CT tweeter to hear the advantages of the newest crossover.

Yes I am always on the market for used VANDERSTEEN products.  I recently missed such an auction on EBAY for the M5-HP.

In fact I saw a Quattro on sale for under 3K but a last it was too good of a deal to be true for the listing disappeared from EBAY very quickly.  Maybe someone got a good deal.

VANDERSTEEN external crossovers
WX-2
X-2
M5-HP
M7-HP ???

C17FXR

• Remember, you don't have to rewind the Blu-ray.
« Reply #7 on: 31 Oct 2014, 05:19 pm »

Found it  :thumb: This is from the response provided to Stuart (3/22/06).

THE MOST IMPORTANT PART IN THE SET UP IS GETTING THE 3DB DOWN POINT OF THE CUSTOMERS (MAIN) AMPLIFIER. THIS SUGGESTION IS MORE ACCURATE. TAKE ANY DIGITAL VOLTMETER SET TO AC VOLTS. WITH THE MAIN AMPLIFIER PROPERLY HOOKED UP TO THE MAIN SPEAKERS, VOLT METER ACROSS THE BLACK AND RED OUTPUT TERMINALS. PLAY A TEST DISK WITH TEST TONE AT 1000HZ ADJUST THE PREAMP VOLUME FOR EXACTLY 1 VOLT. PLAY THE 80HZ TRACK AND THE VOLTAGE SHOULD BE .707 VOLTS. IF IT IS HIGHER THAN .707 ADJUST THE WX-2 TOO A HIGHER IMPEDANCE SETTING. IF THE VOLTAGE IS LESS THAN .707 ADJUST THE WX-2 TOO A LOWER IMPEDANCE SETTING

It shouldn't be to hard to do the same thing with the M5-HP.
Hope this helps someone reading.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #8 on: 31 Oct 2014, 06:10 pm »
Thanks for posting that C17.  I'm gonna take out my X-2s put the WX-2 back in and try it.

dminches

« Reply #9 on: 31 Oct 2014, 09:55 pm »
I would base the setting on how it sounds. You can really kill the bass if the settings is off. Use your ear, not a volt measurement.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #10 on: 1 Nov 2014, 12:51 am »
I've got it sounding great, but think it will be an interesting experiment to to see if the volt meter setting is different.  If it is different I'll certainly try that setting.  Obviously what ever sounds best to my ear is where it will be set.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #11 on: 1 Nov 2014, 01:22 pm »
Hear Clifford Brown wrote
"ever sounds best to my ear is where it will be set."
I think the message here is the volt meter matching method will yield a more accurate flat frequency response versus the biases of one's own ears,

dminches

« Reply #12 on: 1 Nov 2014, 02:41 pm »
Hear Clifford Brown wrote
"ever sounds best to my ear is where it will be set."
I think the message here is the volt meter matching method will yield a more accurate flat frequency response versus the biases of one's own ears,

But that doesn't mean it is the correct setting.  If the room is not properly treated acoustically the volt meter is not going to compensate for that. 

When I had my Vandersteens set up by John Rutan at Audio Connections the final setting was entirely based on how it sounded.  Since there are 2-3 settings that are in the range of the amp's impedance, the final setting should be based on one's ear.

kenreau

« Reply #13 on: 20 Mar 2015, 03:54 pm »
Just a fyi, I just posted my M5 HP filter modules up for sale in the Trading Post.

Thanks
Kenreau