Vandersteen Treo CT

jebe1

Vandersteen Treo CT
« on: 10 Mar 2014, 02:13 am »
Vandersteen is now offering the Carbon Tweeter (CT) as an option to the Treo for an additional $1500.

Read about it here:
  http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/vandersteen-audio-increases-its-carbon-footprint/

ctsooner

Re: Vandersteen Treo CT
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2014, 01:47 pm »
This is awesome. I"m about to get a pair and I'm looking into the CT's now.  It may well be worth the step up.  Time to call Johnny at Audio Connection in NJ, lol.  If anyone knows how good this upgrade will be, it's him.

RandyH

« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2014, 08:38 pm »
Has anyone heard the new CT Treo?  Compared it to the regular Treo?  Would like to hear from folks who have heard the CT.  Do you think it is worth the extra money?

ctsooner

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2014, 07:31 pm »
I just put money down on a regular pair with John at Audio connections.  He told me for the money the upgrade may not be worth it for me. MOney matter right now and I need new cables too.  I'll make plenty selling off all my older gear as I have some amazing stuff. I decided to just stay with the original ones, but I hope to get down there next week to hear the differences.  I'll post what I hear.  Where is your Vandy dealer located?

geowak

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2014, 11:30 pm »
I just put money down on a regular pair with John at Audio connections.  He told me for the money the upgrade may not be worth it for me. MOney matter right now and I need new cables too.  I'll make plenty selling off all my older gear as I have some amazing stuff. I decided to just stay with the original ones, but I hope to get down there next week to hear the differences.  I'll post what I hear.  Where is your Vandy dealer located?

That seems like a good idea. But IMHO you made a great choice with the Treo. What a great speaker! I have a 2CE Sig II and I really love it. I had listened to about three dozen speakers in the 120 mile area around where I live, and the Vandy came out on top. It is such a musical speaker and Mr. Vandersteen is a truly gifted engineer/designer. I would love to have the Treo!

ctsooner

« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2014, 02:50 am »
Looks like they'll be delivered in the next week or so.  Can't wait. I still keep thinking I should just bite the bullet and get the CT's, but that's a lot more. It may be worth it, but I really wanted to hear them side by side.  I'll be very happy either way.

geowak

« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2014, 03:54 pm »
Let us fellow Vandersteen fans know how you like the Treo. I have been waiting for someone to get a pair and review them, if not just sharing thoughts or impressions. Vandersteen speakers always continue to impress me
and I would not think the Treo would be any different.

JackD

« Reply #7 on: 1 May 2014, 12:49 am »
I've had my pair almost two months.  I have previously owned 3A's and 2CE Sigs. They are definitely a step forward.  Doug Blackburn's review on Soundstage pretty much nails them in terms of the jump from the older models. Doug has owned 3A Sigs for over a decade. 

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #8 on: 1 May 2014, 10:55 pm »
JackD do you find a need to add a pair of 2wqs old or new to the treos

JackD

« Reply #9 on: 1 May 2014, 11:16 pm »
I have owned a pair of Vandersteen subs since 2000 that I used with both the 3A's and 2CE Sigs.  I just substituted the Treos in place. I ran them for about 40 hours without the subs and then turned the subs on at 82db.  The Treos will do fine without the subs and that is how Doug and John Atkinson tested them, but since I already had the subs, why not use them. It certainly fills in the soundstage and impact.  Part of the reason I don't have the urge to go any further up the line unless I win the Lottery.  Only slight character difference I notice, is that they may be a little more forward than my other two pair, but the Sig II's may be the same. I have heard that, but have not heard a pair only know what I was told by someone who owned both series.  They are however noticeably less effecient than the 2 or 3 series.

et88b

« Reply #10 on: 3 May 2014, 03:13 am »
I have had my Treo's for about 5 months. Traded in 3A sig's for them (bought as 3A's in 1996 and updated to 3A sig in 2007). The Treo's are excellent and a marked improvement over the 3A's in my system/room.
I called and left a message with Vandersteen service on a very small matter (tight screw on speaker connection) and got a call back later from Richard Vandersteen!

He explained how the silver plating thickness on the screws was important to the sound and just make sure to not overtighten them.
We also discussed some set up guidelines. I asked him about the new CT model and he said they like the carbon tweeters but that the ceramic tweeters in the regular model are outstanding also and it would not be worth the upgrade unless the CT model is in your budget. I have not heard the Treo CT yet but am very happy with the Treo's I have. I have met Richard a few times over the years and the fact that he takes time to return those calls says a lot about him. I just expected I had a defective screw and someone in customer service would just send me a new one.

I just installed new Audioquest speaker cables and interconnects. Things just keep sounding better!

ctsooner

« Reply #11 on: 6 May 2014, 07:22 pm »
I'm awaiting my Treo's to be delivered.  I too was wondering if I needed to get the CT's, but in the end, I'm getting the regular Treo's and I can't wait.  thanks for sharing.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #12 on: 9 May 2014, 05:00 pm »
Neat and tidy setup must be married

ctsooner

« Reply #13 on: 7 Jun 2014, 11:09 am »
Neat and tidy setup must be married

Wait a minute, lol.  Mine is neat and tidy and I'm separated, lol.  Wait til John from Audio Connection comes over....I'll be messed up again, lol. I have a hornets nest of wires behind my cabinet that I need to fix.  I'm hoping John can help me keep things separated enough as I hate running cables near each other, especially power cords.

geowak

« Reply #14 on: 7 Jun 2014, 11:45 am »
I have had my Treo's for about 5 months. Traded in 3A sig's for them (bought as 3A's in 1996 and updated to 3A sig in 2007). The Treo's are excellent and a marked improvement over the 3A's in my system/room.
I called and left a message with Vandersteen service on a very small matter (tight screw on speaker connection) and got a call back later from Richard Vandersteen!

He explained how the silver plating thickness on the screws was important to the sound and just make sure to not overtighten them.
We also discussed some set up guidelines. I asked him about the new CT model and he said they like the carbon tweeters but that the ceramic tweeters in the regular model are outstanding also and it would not be worth the upgrade unless the CT model is in your budget. I have not heard the Treo CT yet but am very happy with the Treo's I have. I have met Richard a few times over the years and the fact that he takes time to return those calls says a lot about him. I just expected I had a defective screw and someone in customer service would just send me a new one.

I just installed new Audioquest speaker cables and interconnects. Things just keep sounding better!

Very nice setup! Enjoy them... I do my 2CE Sig IIs.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #15 on: 10 Jun 2014, 11:52 pm »
hmmm no tilt
My 2ce and 3 both have been tilted inwards some what

et88b

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jun 2014, 03:17 pm »
I have tried slight toe-in after talking with Richard Vandersteen at T.H.E. show in Newport. However in my room I find they sound best firing straight ahead.

Since the picture was posted they are now a little farther into the room and closer together.

The front to back tilt is adjusted for my listening height per the manual.

ctsooner

« Reply #17 on: 23 Jun 2014, 05:22 am »
Sweet.  I'm just waiting for mine to be delivered and set up.  Getting a demo Basis 1400S TT with Micro Benz Glider on top of a Gingko Cloud 11 platform to boot with Heed phono stage.  Those Treo's are just stunning speakers.