need help identifying a tweeter please

acninja

need help identifying a tweeter please
« on: 25 Apr 2015, 01:28 am »
so i purchased a pair of sonus faber grand piano "home" version and one of the tweeters was damaged in transit

i need help identifying it so i can replace it. 

apparently in the "concerto" version of the grand piano, it was very easy.  http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/164454/how-much-of-an-upgrade-are-the-sonus-faber-concerto-grand-piano-speakers
it had the part number on it and everything, and you can order the appropriate SEAS tweeter (sans sonus faber logo) for $20

i'm not so lucky with the "home" version.  it is oddly shaped and there is no OEM part number on the tweeter itself.  all it says on the tweeter is "sonus faber"  "passed Q.C." and "TWE000007" which seems to be an in-house part #

pic below

any help?

thanks!

RDavidson

Re: need help identifying a tweeter please
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2015, 02:30 am »
Why not contact Sumiko, the US distributor for Sonus Faber?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2015, 03:28 am »
If all that's wrong with it is a cracked case, I'd fill the crack with an epoxy, paint,  and be done with it. 

steve f

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2015, 05:36 am »
Does the tweeter work? If it does just place a drop of crazy glue on the cracks and call it a day. You will be much better off. The tweeter looks like a Vifa dome. If you Decide to replace the tweeter, you will need two. Then you will need to cut the faceplates, and attach the protective pieces. This just is a solution in search of a problem. Forget about epoxy, too thick. I recommend against painting also.

steve

acninja

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2015, 08:51 pm »
Does the tweeter work? If it does just place a drop of crazy glue on the cracks and call it a day. You will be much better off. The tweeter looks like a Vifa dome. If you Decide to replace the tweeter, you will need two. Then you will need to cut the faceplates, and attach the protective pieces. This just is a solution in search of a problem. Forget about epoxy, too thick. I recommend against painting also.

steve

yes, the tweeter works but there is distortion at certain frequencies.  is this something epoxy on the crack could fix?

i really don't mind cosmetic issues.  i never would have noticed the crack if i hadn't heard the distortion and started looking for issues

sometimes there is a hissing, sometimes a little crackling, and sometimes things just sound plain bad (high octave piano notes for example)

this issue is isolated just to the cracked tweeter.  it is a night and day difference listening to the same notes with just the other, non damaged speaker

i've sent an e-mail to sumiko and will contact a local dealer tomorrow as well

thanks for the help!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2015, 09:10 pm »
If there are large differences in the sound of the two tweeters, then there may be a problem other than the cracked faceplate.  Remove the tweeter from the speaker, and you can probably remove the faceplate from the back by removing a few screws.  SteveF is probably right that epoxy might be too thick... use a gel superglue.