Tracy Chapman has released a Greatest Hits album

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
Tracy Chapman has released a Greatest Hits album
« on: 20 Nov 2015, 12:43 pm »
Since I have all of her albums and only 1 out of 18 tracks on this disk is new (actually a live song from Dave Letterman), I find it hard to get excited about it.  They're charging a premium price too though I've already seen a listing on Amazon for $8.51.  I think I'm going to sit on the sideline for this one and wait for a new addition to her excellent catalogue.

Samples

Phil A

Re: Tracy Chapman has released a Greatest Hits album
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2015, 01:33 pm »
Would love to see it in hi-rez though

Starchild

« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2015, 03:04 pm »

If I recall correctly, all of Tracy  Chapman's albums are DDD and possibly have a mixture of resolutions on the various masters.  If that's the case they couldn't issue it as a high resolution unless they upsampled.  I don't think that would be desirable as the upsample wouldn't extend the upper frquenies.  What do you think?

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2015, 03:12 pm »
Have not looked at the recording chain. Would not need or want something up sampled but if the were recorded in 24 bit I'd be all over that

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2015, 05:01 pm »
Just noticed that HDTracks has CD quality downloads and it says under the cuts that they were remastered in 2015 - http://www.hdtracks.com/greatest-hits-265880

Might have to check it out.  But the download is much more than the CD and I can burn that.

bentconvert

« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2015, 05:53 pm »
Tracy Chapman was on the Tavis Smiley show last night talking about this album and it sounded like songs were remastered in part to create a more cohesive package and level match all the songs from various albums.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2015, 06:10 pm »
Since I have all of her albums and only 1 out of 18 tracks on this disk is new (actually a live song from Dave Letterman), I find it hard to get excited about it.  They're charging a premium price too though I've already seen a listing on Amazon for $8.51.  I think I'm going to sit on the sideline for this one and wait for a new addition to her excellent catalogue.

<image>

Samples
I'd like to know how good the album sounds from a decent number of audiophiles.  I'm a fan of TC, but only listen to two of her songs mostly (you can guess which), and think the recordings are just OK....

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2015, 06:11 pm »
Agreed!

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2015, 06:29 pm »
Agreed!

Just looked at the Pono store and they have a bunch of stuff but just in CD quality.  I regularly check CD Japan for new SHM SACDs as well as similar sites in addition to the sites that sell hi-rez downloads.

Starchild

« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2015, 07:00 pm »
I'm going to wait until it shows up at the public library.

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2015, 07:35 pm »
I might just grab it next time I order from Amazon.  Put it on my wish list.  At $11.88 plus free shipping it is not bad.  I've wasted more on discs.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #11 on: 20 Nov 2015, 11:04 pm »
I might just grab it next time I order from Amazon.  Put it on my wish list.  At $11.88 plus free shipping it is not bad.  I've wasted more on discs.
Good point. I'll do the same, but it would still be nice to know what other listeners think. I plan to post my findings on this thread.  Have a great weekend.

Rocket

« Reply #12 on: 21 Nov 2015, 03:25 am »
Hi Guys,

I've just ordered this Greatest Hits album from HDTRACKS.  I've found this website is fairly consistent in having high quality music to purchase. I've had a couple of albums from them before that were just okay but on the whole much better than ordering from a shop.  At least I know that HDTRACKS tries to have good quality records.

Cheers Rod
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2015, 09:10 am by Rocket »

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 21 Nov 2015, 04:31 am »
Let us know what you think of the album.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #14 on: 21 Nov 2015, 03:24 pm »
Hi Guys,

I've just ordered this Greatest Hits album from HDTRACKS.  I've found this website is fairly consistent in having high quality music to purchase. I've had a couple of albums from them before that were just okay but on the whole much better than ordering from a shop.  At least I know that HDTRACKS tries to have good quality records.

Cheers Rod
The HDTracks files are 44/16, so I'm going to get the CD instead (costs less too). I have purchased music from them, but only 96/24 and 192/24....

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 21 Nov 2015, 05:07 pm »
The HDTracks files are 44/16, so I'm going to get the CD instead (costs less too). I have purchased music from them, but only 96/24 and 192/24....

Yep - noted that a few posts above that it is $11.88 from Amazon with free shipping for Prime Members

Starchild

« Reply #16 on: 21 Nov 2015, 05:30 pm »
Hi Guys,

Cheers Rod

That album is cheaper on Ponomusic.  Generally speaking I've found Pono's prices to be better than HD Tracks paticularly for standard resolution and lower hirez (i.e. 24/44 or 24/48).  It's rare that I buy music from HD Tracks anymore.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #17 on: 21 Nov 2015, 05:54 pm »
That album is cheaper on Ponomusic.  Generally speaking I've found Pono's prices to be better than HD Tracks paticularly for standard resolution and lower hirez (i.e. 24/44 or 24/48).  It's rare that I buy music from HD Tracks anymore.

Yes, Pono is almost always less expensive than HDTracks. Plus, if Pono ever obtains the album in HiRes, the upgrade is free to those who purchased the Redbook version.  :thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry