Starter system based on the Signature 15

rodlouro

Starter system based on the Signature 15
« on: 22 Jan 2012, 04:52 pm »
Hi guys,

I want to take the next step in the audiophile world and start a system based on the Signature 15. I'm very anxious to have it as my starting point from the stuff I've read about it here in the forum and at 6moons, and it fits my pocket nicely. I'm pretty much decided on the DAC (to connect an iMac), the Pop Pulse PCM1796, and my main point of doubt is speakers. I'd like to spend $1000 or less, and would like to get full range floor standers. 

I'm looking at the Magnepan MMG, NHT Absolute Tower, and the Aperion 4T. It seems to me that the MMGs would be a bad choice because of the power requirements. Anyone have any experience with these speakers matched to the Sig 15? Or any suggestions as to what speakers in my budget would be a good match for the amp?

Thanks!

radarnyc

Re: Starter system based on the Signature 15
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2012, 08:47 pm »
If you could bump your price-point up a little bit --- the Hoyt Bedford Type-2s would work very nicely with the sig15.

http://www.hoytbedfordspeakers.com/

Profbratsch

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2012, 09:22 pm »
rodlouro,

There are a few options in the Tekton line that would fit within your budget.  The Lore goes all the way down to 30Hz but is at the top of your budget at $999 + shipping.  The M-Lore is only $649, has less bottom end than the Lore (although the in-room response could dip into the mid-thirties at least).  Both models are quite efficient.

One other choice, if you are willing to go for something by Tekton in less than perfect condition, is for sale on Audiogon.  It is the 4.5 En open baffle speaker with subwoofer (that also acts as a stand for the 4.5). I think the $989 asking price is too high on account of the 7/10 rating but, even at that cost, the combination offers imaging and frequency extension that is VERY hard to match anywhere near that amount.  They are less efficient than the Lores, although at 92dB they should still be driven very easily with the Signature 15.  I know it is not exactly what you said you were looking for but I hope you give them some consideration.  Maybe you can think of it as a "modular floorstander".  :wink:

Happy shopping!

« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2012, 05:27 am by Profbratsch »

rodlouro

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2012, 06:13 pm »
radarnyc, the Hoyts look really nice, but there a step up from where I want to spend today.

Profbratsch, the M-Lores look like the perfect fit. I read a couple of very positive reviews, which left me very interested. I'm going to read up a bit more on them.

Thanks for the help guys!

genjamon

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2012, 09:46 pm »
There is also the Oriel from Tekton - at $850 I believe, and having the same frequency extension as the Lore, but a little less refined tweeter.  Not sure how the main driver would compare to that in the Lore.  I bet that's a pretty good bargain as well and maybe within your budget, shipping included.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2012, 06:02 pm »
I can't say enough good about the combination of RWA and Omega / Hoyte. Louis O's single drivers and Vinnie's electronics both represent outstanding value and pair very nicely. Get started with a Sig 30 and one of Omega's more recent designs (ie not the older foxtex drivers) and you will be well beyond entry level. And in fact will have system that can grow with the addition of high quality DACs and such when you can afford. While I have not heard them, some report good things on the Horn Shop for less bucks than traditional Omegas.

If money is tight, check with Louis to see if he has a trade-show model, review demo or trade in that fits into your budget. Often they have something laying around that can help.

Good luck!

barbes

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2012, 10:18 pm »
Just seconding the recommendation for Omegas.  They sound fantastic with Red Wine gear.  I have Super XR5s driven by an Isabellina and a Sig 30 and I'm delighted with them.  Used ones or older models can be found and would be within your budget.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2012, 10:35 pm »
Used is fine. But newer designs offer some advantages. Anything shown on Omega's Web site will be good, taken size into consideration. Just my opinion based on having owned the initial 8" hemp driver (very good, but can be somewhat hard in the mids depending on associated gear -- luckily, the Sig 15 is very forgiving in this area), then the current generation of Alnicos (Super 6 Monitor + DeepHemp). P.S. In case you don't know, I run mine with Signature 15, Macbook via USB, and Vinnie's NOS DAC packaged in an HPA. The sound is sublime, and beats everything I've owned in the past, plus my current system costs considerably less then the majority of gear that has come and gone over the years. Kent

Just seconding the recommendation for Omegas.  They sound fantastic with Red Wine gear.  I have Super XR5s driven by an Isabellina and a Sig 30 and I'm delighted with them.  Used ones or older models can be found and would be within your budget.

bprice2

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2012, 06:37 pm »
I have Vinnie's original Signature 30 powering a pair of Omega Super 3 Bipoles with Louis' Hemp drivers that replaced the original Fostex drivers.  Having changed out the drivers, I believe my speakers are now basically Super 5 Bipoles (Bipoles), which are a variation of the Super 5s

The Bipoles have forward and rear firing drivers.  Because Louis was wise enough to build these speakers with the ability to use only the forward firing drivers, I believe I've had the oportunity to at least come close to hearing what the Super 5s might sound like, which is really good with the Sig 30, a Mapletree tubed preamp and a modded Squeezebox Touch. 

I'm mentioning all of this, because I think you could do quite well if you purchased the Omega Super 5s and a sub (I really do think one needs a sub with Omega speakers that have the 4.5" drivers).  For a number of years I used a Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer, which I thought sounded very good with the Omegas.

Just looking around here at AC and Audiogon I found the following that might work with your budget.

Omega Super 5 - $695

&

Martin Logan Dynamo Subwoofer - $300

This would put you a bit over your $1000 limit when you add in shipping, but I bet you might be able to work with the sellers to get your cost down.

I just thought I'd throw this out there as an idea for you to consider that I can somewhat vouch for from experience.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan 2012, 09:52 pm »
Hi rodlouro,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA forum!

I agree with the recommendations for Omega / Hoyt Bedford and Tekton.

How big is your listening room and how loud you play your music?  You *might* be able to use MMGs in a small room if you are not looking to play it very loud, but I think you'll be missing dynamics that the others above will deliver.

It sounds like you are on your way to an excellent starter system - Please keep us posted!

Vinnie