Crazy idea for a center

Brax

Crazy idea for a center
« on: 16 Oct 2015, 02:05 am »
I am presently using one of my RM2s as a center channel speaker in a 5.1 system with RM40 front and rears.

I planned on building a RM40 clone to use as a center, I already have the neo panels and the tweeter. I then thought I should take a clue from the RM50s and build this speaker with 12" woofers instead of the standard 10" ones. Now an idea pops in my head, I can part out my RM2 set to make this center speaker. The RM2s have all the drivers I need and even the crossovers and terminals. For what my last set of RM2s sold for, the cost would be a wash. It would probably be easier to sell spare neo panels that a set of speakers.

Stimpy

Re: Crazy idea for a center
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2015, 04:03 pm »
A horizontal RM40?  Something like this, but with the single ribbon tweeter?

It's be a tall center though, with 12" woofers.  But, you could mount the passive radiators on each end!
Some serious center bass!!!    :o :D :o

ST86

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2015, 04:15 pm »
Interesting idea.  What would be the sonic effects of putting the mid panels next to each other instead of in a vertical line?

Ed

Brax

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2015, 04:20 pm »
Interesting concept but mine will be vertical. It will be placed behind an acoustically transparent screen

Stimpy

« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2015, 04:35 pm »
Interesting idea.  What would be the sonic effects of putting the mid panels next to each other instead of in a vertical line?

Ed

Mainly better dispersion.  Smoother pans across the front 3 channels, that way too.  Plus, a horizontal line of mids would tonally match a VMPS RM series better. 

Stimpy

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2015, 04:39 pm »
Interesting concept but mine will be vertical. It will be placed behind an acoustically transparent screen

WOW!  A vertical D'appolito array, like an RM40, with 2 or 4 of the neo mids?  Both woofers?

Stimpy

« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2015, 05:25 pm »

Oh yea, why build a center then?  If you're already willing to donate your RM2s to the cause, why not just invert one RM2 and place it on top of the other RM2 upside down!?!   Instant D'appolito RM40+.  Wire them in series, for an easy impedance load, and you're done!    :thumb:

PMAT

« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2015, 06:01 am »
Stacked RM-2's nice!

garyc1

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2016, 06:34 pm »
I hate to hijack the thread but I have been thinking about an acoustically transparent screen for a while.  Have you used one yet?  If so, what is your impression and do you have any advice?  I would like to maximize screen size in my smallish theater and verticalize my RM30 center.

Brax

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2016, 04:11 pm »
I am using a 150" Seymour XD screen now. I think it's great would highly recommend it to anyone. They also sell just the screen material for the DIY crowd, which is rare.

As far at sound quality, I can't tell that the speakers are behind the screen. I did run room correction with my Meridian, but being a new setup I didn't have a before and after comparison.

Stimpy

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2016, 11:37 pm »
Hi Brax,

Did you ever get the chance to build a RM40 custom center?  If so, pictures?

Also, I have 'VMPS wann'a be's', Monsoon FPF-1000's and FPF-600 speakers.  They're 3 way floor standers, with Monsoon planar mids.
Unfortunately, Monsoon never released a matching center, even though one was in the works, prior to their demise.  I've too toyed with the
idea of a custom center, finding a LRC cabinet and building my own, or just finding a finished LRC or 626, to match my Monsoon's.  But, they
are now very rare speakers.  So instead, I picked up a used MartinLogan Fresco center.  The Fresco uses BG Radia planar mids and tweeters,
and I was hoping it would match the Monsoon's.  While decent, it's no Monsoon (or VMPS).  As such, I was still curious about your center
speaker adventures and progress?

Thanks!

Brax

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jan 2016, 01:07 pm »
Stimpy,

The center build is going to be a summer project. I'm still debating on gutting the rm2s and using the drivers from them or building from scratch. I have 4 extra neo panels but I was also thinking about rebuilding my 40s as a super tower type speaker with 6 neo panels, ribbon tweeter, 2 12" woofers and 4 12" PRs.

I would really like to buy 2 more neo panels so I could do the front 3 in the super tower style.

Stimpy

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jan 2016, 03:02 am »
I would really like to buy 2 more neo panels so I could do the front 3 in the super tower style.

These Monsoon mids 'should' work.  Though, you'd need to check the impedance, as Monsoon had several different generations of panels with at least 3 different resistance readings.  Also, you might have to mod the connection inputs, as Monsoon used soldered wires for connection, while Brian modded these, and added connector screws.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-MONSOON-Flat-Panel-MM-702-PC-Computer-Speakers-ONLY-NO-SUBWOOFER-/272115643839?hash=item3f5b5b35bf:g:MFcAAOSwpRRWpl3m