Focal T120 repair or replace?

RSorak

• Facilitator
Focal T120 repair or replace?
« on: 12 Oct 2016, 06:29 pm »
The tweeters in my Super Towers have deteriorated w time and the foam surrounds have disintegrated. I see kits on Ebay to repair them? How difficult is this? I have refoamed larger speakers, but am wondering how hard it is make sure these are centered etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-2-FO-2-NEW-Foam-Surrounds-for-Focal-JMLab-T120-T121-TC90K-T100K-TC120K-T101-/151373737892?hash=item233e93efa4:g:aDYAAOSw6BtVU8N0

Is there a suitable/better modern day replacement?

Thanks
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2016, 07:32 pm by RSorak »

richidoo

Re: Focal T120 repair or replace?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2016, 07:54 pm »
Seems like a straightforward procedure, if you're patient and methodical and good working with small parts. 

Some questions that came to me while reading through it:
What solvent is used to remove the old foam residue? You don't want the solvent to melt the resin of the composite dome.

The concentricity of the dome to the foam is the critical step. If the molded edge of the dome is not sharp to easily position the foam then VC could rub in the magnet gap after gluing the foam to the faceplate. Unlike a woofer refoam you don't have the ability to slid eit around a little to avoid rubbing while glue is still wet, because the second glue joint is closely centered inside the faceplate groove.

If you assume that the OD of the molded dome is concentric to the VC, and the OD of the foam is concentric to the ID of the foam (probably safe assumptions) then you can make a little jig to center the foam to the dome OD. Focal probably used some kind of jig on the original assy. See attached dwg. I have a lathe so I can make something like that for you if you want to go that way. PM me.

But the directions imply that you can just glue it by eye and it will work.
Rich

Stimpy

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2016, 04:11 pm »
The Focal T120 tweeters are no longer available new.  Even used, they're rare.  So, I'd try rebuilding what you have.   But, I do occasionally see used tweeters at auction, and I'll post them in my For Sale thread.  Maybe pick up a spare or two?

Good luck!

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2016, 05:01 pm »
I don't know how they stack up to the originals but when I clicked on the ebay link an advertisement appeared for a cloned version of the tweeter for $30ish.

RSorak

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2016, 10:00 pm »
My research on the VMPS version of these tweeters leads me to believe they are proprietary. In that Brian had these custom built w the fiberglass domes. The other versions w other dome materials {kevlar, titanium} supposedly sound much different and need diff crossovers. So it is appearing that the only feasible thing to do is attempt to refoam mine.
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2016, 01:24 am by RSorak »

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2016, 11:36 pm »
You might contact Parts-Express as they do speaker repair.

If you talk to them and discuss the VMPS version, they can refoam the surround and make sure the driver is centered properly.  Last I checked it was $40 plus shipping per driver.

Good luck.

RSorak

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2016, 01:20 am »
I've ordered the surrounds and the glue....After it arrives and I attempt repair I will use this thread to document my experience.
Wish me luck.

RSorak

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 30 Oct 2016, 05:53 pm »
The parts have arrived...Shipping was remarkably fast, about 8 days, considering they came Europe. Someday cold day this winter I will sit down and attempt this repair.

davidc1

« Reply #8 on: 28 Aug 2020, 02:17 pm »
The parts have arrived...Shipping was remarkably fast, about 8 days, considering they came Europe. Someday cold day this winter I will sit down and attempt this repair.

I know this thread is old...but how did the repair of the tweeters go?

RSorak

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 4 Sep 2020, 05:47 am »
Since I'm 56 and can't hear above about 13K anyway I still have not done it. The kit is still sitting of top of the speakers waiting for its day to come.

davidc1

« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2021, 03:37 pm »
I know what you mean. I'm 60, can't hear much above 13K, have tinitus, and just don't hear as well (dynamic range). Should have listened to my mom telling me not to play my rock music so loud.

So...what did I do yesterday?

I bought a pair of Super Tower III SE/R.

Duh.
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2022, 07:53 am by davidc1 »

davidc1

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jan 2022, 05:58 pm »
I plan on refoaming all  the tweeters in the ST III/SE's if just got. Can you please tell me where you got the refoaming kit for yours? Thank you.

ZAKski288

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jan 2022, 06:12 pm »
David, the link is in the first post. Looks like there not available there anymore. Good luck

davidc1

« Reply #13 on: 4 Jan 2022, 06:14 pm »
David, the link is in the first post. Looks like there not available there anymore. Good luck

Yeah, I tried the link as well. I created a thread regarding fixing my STIII, but nobody has responded yet.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=179854.0

davidc1

ZAKski288

« Reply #16 on: 4 Jan 2022, 06:30 pm »
Add a couple more links above

davidc1

« Reply #17 on: 4 Jan 2022, 06:33 pm »
Add a couple more links above

Thank you again. The English site looks great!

davidc1

« Reply #18 on: 16 Jan 2022, 12:18 am »
yes, it appears these guys in the Netherlands are the only people selling the foam.

I decided to have a local repair guy (I'm lucky, here in SoCal there is a place that has been repairing speakers for decades and they are close enough to drop them off) do it.  Millersound recommended them. He orders them from this same company. Costs $65 each total.

It's entirely possible to do it yourself, it's just tedious. The company has some Youtube videos about it. And, if you break one of the tiny voice coil leads....your sol.

Also, he gave me some interesting info....you know all those numbers on the back of our woofers? There are usually three sets. Well...they identify the manufacturer, the model, and the week and year they were made. No more guessing.

I'll give more info on my other ST III thread soon.

ADG101

« Reply #19 on: 24 Jan 2022, 08:16 pm »
New member here so hopefully I am doing this correctly.

davidc1
If you don't mind me asking what is the name of the shop in SoCal you are referring to as I have a Focal T-5012 out of one of my Wilson Audio WP 6 I need to get the surround redone and not sure just gluing a new ring will be sufficient. I see the rings on eBay but no idea what glue to use and I think Wilson applies something over the top of the ring as well that does something to the sound - Visation lts50? If the shop you are using can fix mine and it's under $100 I'd gladly ship it to them.