Auto-Calibration

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Auto-Calibration
« on: 18 Oct 2014, 03:44 pm »
I personally only do it perhaps once a month or so. It's really there as a longer term convenience/correction feature should any of the LDRs drift sufficiently to noticeably affect channel balance. That said, there's no harm in doing it as often as you like.....or....as seldom as is warranted. Various features that may be added in the future....such as user adjustable input impedance....that would require running auto-cal to update after setting changes.

For example, for RMAF I ran auto-cal before shipping the unit to Denver but did NOT rerun it just before the show. It worked great!
Very nice.  Is there a way to program the controler so it truly is automatic by time?  Say, once every 30 days at 3:am.  Just a thought. 

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: Auto-Calibration
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2014, 03:50 pm »
Very nice.  Is there a way to program the controler so it truly is automatic by time?  Say, once every 30 days at 3:am.  Just a thought.

The initial approach had auto-cal running nonstop whenever the unit was turned off. That lead to some confusion since the unit disconnects from its inputs/outputs during auto-cal and some folks keep everything on all the time while others keep everything turned off and disconnected from power. As a result auto-cal was changed to manual initiation only. That way it's a very deliberate user controlled event and if anything should go awry as a result of running an auto-cal cycle it will be obvious when/how it happened.

Randy

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2014, 08:59 pm »
The initial approach had auto-cal running nonstop whenever the unit was turned off. That lead to some confusion since the unit disconnects from its inputs/outputs during auto-cal and some folks keep everything on all the time while others keep everything turned off and disconnected from power. As a result auto-cal was changed to manual initiation only. That way it's a very deliberate user controlled event and if anything should go awry as a result of running an auto-cal cycle it will be obvious when/how it happened.

Calibration?  "User controled event." What's it for? How do you do it? And what could go wrong?

Randy

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2014, 10:02 pm »
Calibration?  "User controled event." What's it for? How do you do it? And what could go wrong?

Randy

Auto-calibration (AutoCal) is an inherent feature of our 3rd generation LDR preamp controller referred to as the LDR3x.V2 or "V2" board. The LDRx and LDRxB are built around the V2.

AutoCal is a self-contained software/hardware based system that provides for the recalibration of the individual LDRs to ensure that the preamp maintains its left/right channel balance over the full attenuation range. LDRs are not like pots or fixed resistors. They are analog devices that in some respects have characteristics of tubes insofar as their performance can drift over time as they age. AutoCal corrects for this...if it happens...and if it's needed. It may not. AutoCal addresses one of the key issues of owning an LDR based preamp over the long haul and as such is more of an insurance policy than a frequent necessity.

AutoCal is explained in more detail in our online documentation which can found here:  http://www.tortugaaudio.com/documentation/#document-22

You can put your unit through AutoCal by pressing the Enter/Center button on the Apple Remote while the preamp is turned off. The cycle typically lasts about 10 minutes. Each LDR is run through 70 calibration steps so it takes 4 x 70 = 280 steps to complete the process. AutoCal status is displayed with left diplay indicated which LDR is being calibrated and the right display showing the current step. Results are permanently stored in EEPROM memory and used by the premap each time it's subsequently turned on and used. Rerunning AutoCal will overwrite the prior results.

What can go wrong? Probably nothing. We've found AutoCal to be highly reliable once the unit has successfully gone  through its initial AutoCal cycle and we do that with each build before we ship. My marketing approach is tempered by my engineering mindset and I will never tell anyone that something is totally foolproof or infallible.

AutoCal is there if you need it otherwise you can ignore it. How do you know if you need to run AutoCal? Noticing that the stereo balance has shifted off center is the most likely indication. It's also possible for an LDR to go bad....like a tube can go bad. They're plug-in replaceable. Put in a new one, rerun AutoCal and you're back in business. This is rarely required but it's there if you need it. A small percentage (< 1%) of the LDRs in our V1 design needed to be replaced. So we made them replaceable in the V2. So far, 0% of LDRs in our V2 design have gone bad.

If one of a matched set of tubes goes bad you usually have to replace them all with a new matched set. With our V2 design you only replace the one LDR that went south and then let AutoCal match them all up again. Cool beans!
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2014, 11:30 am by tortugaranger »

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2014, 11:30 am »
Moved this thread to its own topic.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2014, 04:11 pm »
What are the benefits to adjusting input impedance and is this availalbe now? I have a K&K Audio phono pre (Art Audio Vinyl Reference design) and an MHDT Havana tube DAC. I would like to know these are optimized for my LDR.

Shakey

Shakeydeal

« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2014, 04:17 pm »
BTW, output impedance of the DAC is 800 ohms, and 200 ohms for the phono stage.

Shakey

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2014, 04:33 pm »
What are the benefits to adjusting input impedance and is this availalbe now? I have a K&K Audio phono pre (Art Audio Vinyl Reference design) and an MHDT Havana tube DAC. I would like to know these are optimized for my LDR.

Shakey
Overall suitability for using a passive depends largely on the ratio of the input impedance of your amp to output impedances of your sources together with the strength (ability to deliver current) of the output stages of your 2 sources. The higher the effective input impedance is of the passive preamp in parallel with the amp the less hard the source has to work to deliver the sonic energy to the amp. This usually translates into "it sounds better".

Our preamps' default input impedance is currently 20k (40k for balanced). We're working  on a firmware revision that will allow this to be adjustable by the user. It's not a difficult feature to implement per se but we don't want to release this until the software changes are well wrung out and stable. Owners of our LDRx, LDRxB and LDR3x.V2 units will be able to upgrade their firmware with this feature at no cost.

The key benefit will be the ability to optimize performance by finding the best impedance for your source/amp within the limitations of the LDR preamp. At present we expect a max input impedance setting of 50k but this could go a bit higher after we've concluded testing. I have customers who thought 50k provided the best performance. I've another customer who is experimenting down around 5k and thinks 1k may be optimal.

Basically it will gives you a new "knob to turn" to hopefully get better sound.  :thumb: