BG Neo8 or Dayton AMT4PRO for OB Design

Horizons

• Restricted
BG Neo8 or Dayton AMT4PRO for OB Design
« on: 1 Dec 2014, 06:32 pm »
Any recs on either of these drives in an OB design operating from around 4KHz and up? I don't want to use a supertweeter and I want to keep the design and crossover simple.

I am very partial to the AMT sound but I also owned some big BGs and that planar driver also sounds very clean.

TIA.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: BG Neo8 or Dayton AMT4PRO for OB Design
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2014, 09:09 pm »
I've used the Neo8 and recently had information sent to me on the Dayton AMT. I've really never cared for the Neo8's performance in the upper octaves and from the response graph I was sent the Dayton looks to be much better in that regard. The main drawback of both is the narrow vertical coverage.

matevana

« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2014, 12:12 pm »
I use the AMTPro in an OB design currently. If crossed properly it can be very engaging. Note that the PE frequency response charts were done in closed back mode, with the two thick felt pads installed. It is more erratic in OB mode w/o the felt in place.

I have spent many hours with this driver testing various combinations of crossover points and slopes. My personal favorite is crossing the AMTPro high with a shallow slope. Use a very high quality single cap such as a Mundorf Supreme (or better) and take full advantage of the fast transients and crystal clear presentation. Finally tune the OB response by placing one felt pad half way up the spine, with the other overlapping and slowly slide them away from each other while listening. Depending on your room boundaries, there is definite sweet spot that will be attained when the right amount of diaphragm surface area is exposed at the rear. Once you are happy with the "tuning", you can cut the excess off the pads and press them in place. (friction fit).

If you have a design that lends itself to this crossover topology, this driver is hard to beat. I understand that the AC version of the AMT is easier to work with than the Dayton, but have not tested this myself.

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2014, 02:53 pm »
A shorter option is the AMT1. Picked up a pair of those in a dotd but haven't even connected them up yet. Looks like the felt will come right off, shouldn't have a problem with 4k I wouldn't think. The ACs I have measure kinda odd, haven't check into why tho.

Horizons

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 2 Dec 2014, 09:31 pm »
Great responses, thanks.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with an "AC" version of the AMT ??

I looked at the AMT1 and have heard that it is great but I don't think I can cross with a first order in the 4-5 KHz range which the PRO looks like it can do.

I guess I will go with the PROs and experiment with the felt pads on the backwave. I have a pair of Heil AMTs but they are 13 pounds each and difficult to work into an open baffle design. I am curious to find out if the PRO can compete with the great Heil AMT which I really like. I have had Maggie ribbons but I still think the Heil AMT is the best mid/tweeter ever made. The limited vertical dispersion is an issue but the PRO is actually longer than the Heil AMT.

I will report back with my build findings in a week or so.

matevana

« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2014, 10:26 pm »
Srry, when I said AC I was referring to Aurum Cantus.

Ed

Ric Schultz

« Reply #6 on: 3 Dec 2014, 06:57 am »
More money but you can do a 2 way really easy with the Hawthorne Audio 700hz AMT.  Just talked to someone today who just hooked his up from 700hz at 12 db per octave (modified Behringer xover) and he is thrilled.  He was running a three way......with Audio Tech driver in carbon ball for midrange up to 3K and then to Scanspeak Beryllium tweet.  Now he is crossing the Audio tech at 700hz and he is getting way better sound.  He says the Beryllium tweet has a little more very top end air....but the Hawthorne is changing by the hour as it burns in....so maybe will even equal the $450 tweet in the high highs...we shall see.  Anyway, you could make a 2 way real easy...using a couple of high efficient 8s or 10s on open baffle and use the AMT right above it (it is dipole, by the way).  Then just use subs to fill in under 100hz.  Would be dynamic and killer.