What is your favorite OB speaker and why?

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
What is your favorite OB speaker and why?
« on: 15 Nov 2014, 12:15 am »
I'm really curious about OB speakers. The listening experience that many of you describe sounds like just my thing. I'd like to learn more and thought responses to the question in the subject line would help. :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: What is your favorite OB speaker and why?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2014, 01:24 am »
The first thing you need to do, is find someone in your area that has some OB you can audition.

I'm a ..Hawthorne Audio.. fanboy, so I'll stop typing now.  8)

Good luck on your journey. Enjoy the tunes.
Bob

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2014, 01:07 pm »
I only tried a few drivers, but lived happily with the Visaton b200 on OB for close to 7 years.  The addition of the Planet 10 phase plugs really made it work for me.  Augmenting the bass with a pair of OB 12's made it fantastic. 

Search up the Gravity well of a Darkstar thread here for all the details of those who tried it and what they thought. 

Lots of other good choices out there too though. 

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2014, 10:54 pm »
The first thing you need to do, is find someone in your area that has some OB you can audition.

I'm a ..Hawthorne Audio.. fanboy, so I'll stop typing now.  8)

Good luck on your journey. Enjoy the tunes.
Bob

Good suggestion. I'll check with my local audio society. I'm near Atlanta just in case anyone in this circle lives close by.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2014, 11:15 pm »
Mockingbird Audio, because they are awesome:

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2014, 11:45 pm »
Mockingbird Audio, because they are awesome:

Pretty impressive--but $39K a pair. Ouch!

gab

« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2014, 11:59 pm »

fsimms

« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2014, 02:24 am »
I have two favorite OB speakers.  They are both Hybrid Open Baffle speakers that share a similar design and sound.  That is because some of the designers are the same people.  The first one is the Philharmonic 3 from Philharmonic Audio.  It has a transparent midrange.  It is the only speaker that I have heard that could fool me that the acoustic instruments were there.   Both speakers have a realistic sized image unlike most other OB and planar speakers.  The second speaker is the SoundScape 10 from Salk Sound. It is more expensive.  The extra money buys a more solid case and much better finish.  The SoundScape has better bass, image and is more dynamic.  Percussion is better on the SoundScape.  The Philharmonic is a bit more transparent and slightly sweeter sounding. 

I have the SoundScape 10s and find that most of my vinyl records are very thrilling when listening at reference levels.

Bob

PRELUDE

« Reply #8 on: 16 Nov 2014, 04:29 pm »
Gradient REVOLUTION ACTIVE SYSTEM

The audio shows are not getting any better and the main idea is just a big advertisement that we are here and we have this and that, that is it.
I do not read reviews and I do not care what the reviewers said. This speaker is not the most attractive and shiny and glossy painted speaker in the market, but if your target is music, they will give it to you.
For few years of going to different audio shows, this would be the only speaker that I would like to buy if I was not DIY.
There were way more nicer and more expensive speakers in all those shows. But if you can take your time and listen to one of those $100k speakers for about half an hour and then go to the Gradient room and do the same thing, then it might change your mind that actually what you were thinking about  HI_FI. 

ttan98

« Reply #9 on: 17 Nov 2014, 12:04 am »
I'm really curious about OB speakers. The listening experience that many of you describe sounds like just my thing. I'd like to learn more and thought responses to the question in the subject line would help. :thumb:

If you want to taste what OB can offer you maybe you should try building a pair yourself, they are not really that difficult to build what you need is a few free sessions(total=5-10hrs) with the drivers, baffles, a few basic tools, and say $400-600, you get a nice pair of sounding speakers. The reason I can say this is because I have built many pairs of speakers before, including boxed 2 - 3ways, OB, etc. OB speakers do sound really good to me in my opinion better than any "basic" 2 way boxed spkrs. If you want to proceed these 2 OB speakers you can look at are:

1. SL's LXMini, go to his site search for Linkwitz LXMini, all up a pair would cost you more than $600.
    I designed and built a LXMini clone, they sound very good. See Attachment.
2. Go to DIYaudio.com search for title:Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project, a long thread you find this OB is easy to build and low cost less than $400.

There are many OB projects on the net, these 2 come to my mind. These 2 pairs is suitable for small to medium room.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #10 on: 17 Nov 2014, 12:16 am »
If you want to taste what OB can offer you maybe you should try building a pair yourself, they are not really that difficult to build....
That's a perfect idea.
The sounds produced can be amazing with the cheapest of drivers.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #11 on: 17 Nov 2014, 12:47 pm »
If you want to taste what OB can offer you maybe you should try building a pair yourself, they are not really that difficult to build what you need is a few free sessions(total=5-10hrs) with the drivers, baffles, a few basic tools, and say $400-600, you get a nice pair of sounding speakers. The reason I can say this is because I have built many pairs of speakers before, including boxed 2 - 3ways, OB, etc. OB speakers do sound really good to me in my opinion better than any "basic" 2 way boxed spkrs. If you want to proceed these 2 OB speakers you can look at are:

1. SL's LXMini, go to his site search for Linkwitz LXMini, all up a pair would cost you more than $600.
    I designed and built a LXMini clone, they sound very good. See Attachment.
2. Go to DIYaudio.com search for title:Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project, a long thread you find this OB is easy to build and low cost less than $400.

There are many OB projects on the net, these 2 come to my mind. These 2 pairs is suitable for small to medium room.

I've been considering doing the LXmini. It looks like a simple build. Another AC member told me recently that they sound really good in a smallish room. Thanks for seconding his opinion.

Guy 13

« Reply #12 on: 17 Nov 2014, 01:03 pm »
Here it is.
Omega 7F/GR Research SA-1 plate amplifier with Eminence Acoustinator.
Why: The best sound since I started buying audio stuff about 45 years ago.
         Good from 30 to 18,000 Hz, even if I can only hear up to (Probably) 16KHz.

mav52

« Reply #13 on: 17 Nov 2014, 01:14 pm »
What about the Emerald Physic speakers ?

ttan98

« Reply #14 on: 18 Nov 2014, 02:51 am »
I've been considering doing the LXmini. It looks like a simple build. Another AC member told me recently that they sound really good in a smallish room. Thanks for seconding his opinion.

If you are interested in building the LXMini there are few points you need to know,
1. you will be using the same drivers as per SL's design and buy the speakers plan(if you don't have it) from him
2. the drivers from SL's design can play very loud with low distortions, however both drivers( about 85dB) are rather inefficient,
you really amplifiers with at least 100watts/channel, you will need at least 4 channels, if you want to play them loud. 50W/chan. is fine  that's the minimum you should be aiming for, the more power the better really.

They are nice speakers and all the designs are done for you. I know you will like them and enjoy them.

steve f

« Reply #15 on: 18 Nov 2014, 04:40 am »
I've had Linkwitz Orion's for a few years. I am pretty happy with them. I still build and also evaluate a lot of speakers of various types, but for OB types I haven't heard anything better. I haven't heard LX521's yet.  Most people make some mistakes in their OB designs.

lowtech

« Reply #16 on: 18 Nov 2014, 06:47 am »
Most people make some mistakes in their OB designs.

That's putting it politely.   :icon_lol:

Poultrygeist

« Reply #17 on: 4 Dec 2014, 07:06 pm »
The Lowther DX3 over dual Alphas is a current favorite but still love the Beta12LTA over Alpha H-frames

simoon

« Reply #18 on: 4 Dec 2014, 07:37 pm »
The Perfect 8 'The Force'.

I've only heard them at audio shows, but they are truly incredible. They might be the best speaker I've ever heard of any type, not just OB.

At the opposite end of the price scale, I love  Paul Carmody's 'Sunflowers'.

They can be built for less than $600.

Only the mids and tweets are OB, the woofers are in an enclosures, so the purists here may be cringing. But they sound great. I'd be willing to say the rival commercial speakers close to $4K.

https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy-sunflowers

ttan98

« Reply #19 on: 5 Dec 2014, 01:03 am »
The Perfect 8 'The Force'.

I've only heard them at audio shows, but they are truly incredible. They might be the best speaker I've ever heard of any type, not just OB.

At the opposite end of the price scale, I love  Paul Carmody's 'Sunflowers'.

They can be built for less than $600.

Only the mids and tweets are OB, the woofers are in an enclosures, so the purists here may be cringing. But they sound great. I'd be willing to say the rival commercial speakers close to $4K.

https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy-sunflowers

The Sunflower is not really a true Dipole, dipole effect occurs around the midrange only. I don't think it has a rear tweeter and the woofer is monopole.