need replacement amp and crossover advice for blown Epic Legend sub.

Rclark

So Epic is out of business.

The Legend was an awesome sub with about the most unreliable amp in history it seems. But the sound quality of this sub is an extremely high fidelity with its sealed, dual opposed setup.

The problem is this sub had a special purpose built crossover that was built into the crap amp board.

I've been subless for quite a while now, and would like my low end back.

Can this sub be ressurrected from the dead? Am open to all suggestions. Would just buy a new sub (eye on the dual opposed, sealed PartsExpress sub with 1000watt amp) but hate to see this sub go to waste, and the sonic blend withmy Maggies was pure magic. Fast, punchy, powerful, zero cabinet vibration, much more even and flat than a single driver sub.

Help?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
If the dimensions are the same, I'd give this one a whirl:
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-spa500-500w-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-807

I'm using one with my SVS passive cylindrical sub and like it a lot.

Big Red Machine

Try sandbagger here and Seaton Sound

mcgsxr

+1 on the Parts Express 500w plate amp.  I have been using one for the 3 years with a variety of DIY subs.

I also have had good success with the BASH 300w plate amps. 

I run them outboard the sub enclosure. 

Doublej

I suspect that somewhere in the 680 page Epik Subwoofer thread on AVS forum there will be one or more answers.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/885079-official-epik-subwoofer-thread.html

*Scotty*

You could power the sub with a Behringer iNuke amp with built in DSP and crossover capability.
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-NU6000DSP-BEHRINGER-iNUKE/dp/B005EHINIK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413996570&sr=8-1&keywords=behringer+inuke+nu6000
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-NU3000DSP-BEHRINGER-iNUKE/dp/B005EHINAS/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1413996570&sr=8-8&keywords=behringer+inuke+nu6000
All you have to do disconnect the woofer from the plate amp and install a couple binding posts through the cabinet wall, use the extra long ones that will reach clear through the cabinet wall.
Scotty

Brad

I was in the same boat with my Legend.   :cry:
The amp lasted about 2 weeks   :duh:

I considered a plate amp, but I had a Crown XLS1500.  I just sealed up the hole from the old amp and wired to a pair of binding posts.
The Crown did a great job of driving the Legend.   

I think any of the 300W-500W plate amps will do a good job, as several have commented on.
I never could find one that was a good cosmetic fit though.

Rclark

Hmm I like these ideas, especially that I can leave the old amp there just to keep the thing sealed nicely.

Hey Brad, did you have any issues with the new amp as far as it not having the same crossover as the original amp? Got the same response out of the sub?

*Scotty*

The iNuke amp has a built in DSP crossover which you can program from your PC. You should be able duplicate the frequency and slope of Epic amp should you so desire.
Scotty

Rclark

Hmmm. That's probably the best approach Scotty. Let me check into the pricing. I'd like to put more power to the sub this time as well, really make those woofers talk.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
I was in the same boat with my Legend.   :cry:
The amp lasted about 2 weeks   :duh:

I considered a plate amp, but I had a Crown XLS1500.  I just sealed up the hole from the old amp and wired to a pair of binding posts.
The Crown did a great job of driving the Legend.   

I think any of the 300W-500W plate amps will do a good job, as several have commented on.
I never could find one that was a good cosmetic fit though.

I just got one of the Crown XLS1500s, it's a surprisingly good amp full range and bass is it's strong point. Bridged, it will deliver about 1000 watts into 8 ohms, the 2000 and 2500 models a good bit more. The Crown has a built-in 24 dB/oct crossover as well, perfect for sub duty and pretty cheap on ebay, I paid $262 for mine brand new.

The Behringer's specs look good but I question it's ability to actually deliver it's advertised 6200 watts of power as well as it's sq vs the Crown, but who knows... Behringer makes good value equipment, I'm sure it'll work well and the DSP might be helpful.

Rclark

Oh woah. The iNuke moniker is appropriate. 1500 watts per side, looks like. Will that thing power both drivers in there Scotty? Not sure of the impedance of the two drivers and what load they might present.

*Scotty*

You could measure it with a digital multimeter and know. Amazon and MCM Electronics have them for Cheap as does Harbor Freight.
Scotty