Love stereo/ But need help

truth58

Love stereo/ But need help
« on: 15 Dec 2017, 07:25 pm »
 Need to know if someone has built a external crossover for the emerald physics cs-2 loudspeaker, which will enable the speakers to be use as L-R fronts in home theater. any help will be greatly  appreciate.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Love stereo/ But need help
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2017, 11:26 pm »
Welcome Truth58 :thumb:
I found the truth in a no xover oneway full range driver so I not an ace in crossovers, but there is some guys experts here.

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2017, 02:29 am »
If you don't find an answer here, diyaudio would be the next place I'd ask.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2017, 07:06 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC truth58   :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2017, 11:42 am »
As I understand the CS-2 is bi-amped (active design).  One way to use them with passive speakers would be to use a AV preamp.  The passive speakers would require their own amplification (either three mono-blocks or a 3 channel amp) and the CS-2's/other amps would plug straight into the preamp.  Relative volume would have to be controlled via the preamp or volume controls on the mono-blocks/3 channel amp.

The alternative would be, as I think you're suggesting, would be to eliminate the existing amps/low voltage crossover, replace with a high voltage crossover, and plug straight into an AV receiver or multi-channel amp.  To come up with such a crossover would require knowing the individual driver specifications and the knowledge of crossover design (certainly not me, sorry).

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2017, 02:29 pm »
Welcome!

Doublej

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2017, 05:16 pm »
To expand on JLM's post you could also use  an AVR that has preamp out jacks for the front channels. The Marantz NR series comes to mind.

JakeJ

« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2017, 01:40 am »
Hello and welcome to AC, truth58.

You might ask this question in the GR Research circle: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=16.0 as Danny Ritchie is pretty familiar with open baffle designs including the Emerald Physics.

Another of our crossover/component experts would be Jeff at Sonc Craft: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=201.0

Good Luck!