If you ever wanted a deal on LS-6 or LS-9 kits now is your chance.

Danny Richie

LS-6 kits are $1,995 and LS-9 kits are $2,695. All are in stock and ready to ship.

To make the deal really sweet, AV123 is selling some really nice LS-6 enclosures for $599 a pair plus shipping, and LS-9 cabinets for as low as $799 a pair plus shipping.

http://www.av123.com//index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=36&Itemid=37&vmcchk=1&Itemid=37

oz_audio_todd

Hey Danny, I am scared to ask as I really shouldnt be spending money right now, but what aere these kits worth when they are not being sold as a deal?

Guy 13

LS-6 kits are $1,995 and LS-9 kits are $2,695. All are in stock and ready to ship.

To make the deal really sweet, AV123 is selling some really nice LS-6 enclosures for $599 a pair plus shipping, and LS-9 cabinets for as low as $799 a pair plus shipping.

http://www.av123.com//index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=36&Itemid=37&vmcchk=1&Itemid=37
Hi Danny.
The LS-6 and LS-9 are not shown on your web site,
where can I find info on them ?
Thanks.
Guy 13

Danny Richie

They are not on my web site.

I was allowing AV123 to sell them as fully assembled pairs, and you can see info on their web site from the link above. AV123 sold them for $4,400 apair for LS-6's and $6,000 a pair for LS-9's. If sold through stores they'd be at least twice that.

There are also many threads on them here in my circle.

Milehighguy

At RMAF 2008 The LS-9's were on display in a large room with a very large and impressive Dodd Audio tube amp. Myself and 2 friends auditioned them, as well as numerous other very high priced speakers at the show. Naturally, under show conditions, with different rooms, and different equiptment, etc., it's impossible to declare an absolute "winner". However, we 3 all agreed that nothing at the show, at any price, sounded better. We therefore concluded that the LS-9's are far and away the best deal (steal) in a set of ultimate loudspeakers. I would further suggest that , if at all possible, consider going with the 9's over the 6's. They sound a little cleaner, play a little deeper, and are less suseptable to height issues. If you are 5'10" or taller, you for sure want the LS-9's. I'm 5'10 1/2" and when I stood up in front of the LS-6's, I noticed a slight reduction of high frequencies. I was fairly close to the 6's at the time, and standing farther back reduces that problem somewhat, I guess. Also, I wouldn't worry if you have to sit fairly close to the speakers. Many say that you need to be back at least the length of the speaker's height, but to me they sound superb close in or farther back. (Dr. Sigfried Linkowitz agrees with me on this in regards to line source speakers)

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Is your main suggestion on going with the LS-9's b/c when you stood up you lost the high freq?  To me, I'm only concerned about the seated position.  In that case would you go with the LS-6? 

Milehighguy

People (not me ) who have heard both the 6's and the 9's at Danny's place with the same equipment and in the same room report that the 9's sound better. The speculation was that the greater depth of the cabinet allows the back wave of the woofer to be better absorbed, allowing for a cleaner sound. Danny has said that he was a little surprised at the difference, maybe he will chime in. The other thing is that the 9's have 50% more woofer and tweeter surface area, meaning that at any given volume the drivers on the 9's are moving only 2/3 as much as the drivers on the 6's. You also have a 50% increase in headroom, and the 9's go deeper in the extreme low bass.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
The other thing is that the 9's have 50% more woofer and tweeter surface area, meaning that at any given volume the drivers on the 9's are moving only 2/3 as much as the drivers on the 6's. You also have a 50% increase in headroom, and the 9's go deeper in the extreme low bass.

OK.  That alone makes sense.

Danny Richie

Also, the crossover point on the 9's is 850Hz verses 1kHz for the 6's and that could well be the reason for the performance edge that they have in detail and resolution levels.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Also, the crossover point on the 9's is 850Hz verses 1kHz for the 6's and that could well be the reason for the performance edge that they have in detail and resolution levels.

Danny
I'm not being a wise ass here but why how does that make a difference?

Danny Richie

The tweeters are much faster and have less stored energy than the woofers. Plus they are less compromised as the woofers are at the same time playing down to the rock bottom while the tweeters are seeing little exertion at all. So the faster you can had more off to them the better it sounds.

arthurs

I've had both...loved the 6's, kept the 9's....for all the reasons noted above....

oz_audio_todd

What I meant, is, are those the prices that u will normally sell them at or have they been reduced at the moment? Or is it just that U currently have stock of them?
Ta

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
 :duh: I really wish I was in a position to pick up these cabinets and kits  :duh: I have been wanting a pair of these speakers for so long.

Danny, will you continue to offer these kits or is this a 'clearance' sale. You must be getting some orders as we are receiving inquiries on our custom outboard crossovers.

I WILL own a pair of these speakers soon. Probably a pair of each if you plan on continuing to offer them.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
You must be getting some orders as we are receiving inquiries on our custom outboard crossovers.

Tell us about your custom outboard crossovers.  Please.   :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Danny

How would you compare the LS-9 to the Super V?  Sonically of course.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
We at ACA can also furnish the nicer bases for the LSs.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say thanks to Art (ArthurS) for allowing us to use his original idea and concept for the bases.
Without his approval and input, those wouldn't be a reality.

Danny Richie

What I meant, is, are those the prices that u will normally sell them at or have they been reduced at the moment?

These are the normal prices for the kits. Only the cabinets are on sale.

Tell us about your custom outboard crossovers.

Bill built some out for Art using the Mundorf caps instead of the Sonicaps. It gave them a different sound. They are a slower discharge cap that adds a little coloration. It is a softer sound. To me, the mid-range sounded pretty good with those caps. It made that range nice and smooth, like adding a touch of lushness. But to me it overly softened the highs and took away some resolution. Sound stage and imaging was a little more three dimensional with the Sonicaps also, and I am really into that. So I didn't like what it did in that area.

Art might can add some thoughts to the crossover differences. Art tends to lean more towards a softer sound than I do and I think he prefers the Mundorf cap version for a lot of music.

How would you compare the LS-9 to the Super V?

That one is really tough. They are really different, but both really good.

LS-9's do everything well. Detail levels are great and have a slight edge over the Super-V in this regard to me. LS-9's play down into the low 20's, but the Super-V is flat to 20Hz. Super-V's are a little more transparent. The thing that really separates them is that the LS-9's need a good sized room to really shine their best. They can also really load the room if it is too small or not treated well. The Super-V's are the complete opposite in this regard. They work well in any sized room, and won't overload the room. In fact they can not load the room much at all if you don't want them to. They are completely flexible in this regard.

JohnR

We at ACA can also furnish the nicer bases for the LSs.

Hugh - please post your for-sale notices in the designated locations. Thanks......

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Tell us about your custom outboard crossovers.  Please

I will let Art and all the others who have heard the Mundorf Silver/Gold crossovers chime in here. They do add some 'softness' to the presentation and comes down to a matter of taste. Based on what others have told me, it did not roll off anything rather a different perception.

The other crossover is constructed of all ClarityCap capacitors and would fall somewhere between the Mundorf and SoniCap sound.

If you are looking for a very articulate presentation, the SoniCap is the way to go. I have built many SoniCap crossovers for many different speakers (including my OB-7's) and liked them very much so I am not saying our crossovers are "better" than the SoniCap version rather offering a different flavor.

My taste falls in the range of the ClarityCap sound which provides just a bit of texture and body as compared to the SoniCap version but not as warm as the Mundorf.

More information on our crossovers can be found here:
http://www.responseaudio.com/ls%20speaker%20crossovers.htm
« Last Edit: 4 Jul 2010, 12:26 am by Response Audio »