BDA-3 DAC

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #620 on: 13 Nov 2016, 11:50 am »
Hi James!

Can you give us the exaxt model number of the XMOS chop used in the BDA-3 and BDA-2?

Cheers!
Antun

I will have to ask the engineer - I just listen to the gear  :thumb:

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #621 on: 18 Nov 2016, 11:22 am »
I will have to ask the engineer - I just listen to the gear  :thumb:

james

Cool! Thanks James!

I can't say I feel sorry for you there :green:
That sounds like an interesting job!!

Cheers!
Antun

BSC

« Reply #622 on: 20 Nov 2016, 12:34 am »
Hi newbie on here.

Currently in possession of a BDA-3 on dem and absolutely loving the performance/sound only a few days into trying it.

I am using an Oppo 105 and getting the pops as often discussed earlier in this thread until the first firmware updates solved it.

However I am struggling to update the firmware not only does there not seem to be anything on the website I need an idiots guide how to get configured to it. James T has passed my email on but because of my set up-my router is far away from my hi-fi therefore I needed to move the DAC to it to get an ethernet connection.

I tried the http//serial number way but that isn't working on either Google or Safari on my Mac

I have been able to determine my IP address via the BDA-3 but have no idea what to do with it....

Any help greatly appreciated.

audio.bill

« Reply #623 on: 20 Nov 2016, 02:50 am »
I tried the http//serial number way but that isn't working on either Google or Safari on my Mac

Any help greatly appreciated.
Once your BDA-3 is connected to your network via ethernet, you should be able to access it with a web browser at:  http://bda3-XXXXXX with your S/N as the last six digits.
Hope this helps!

BSC

« Reply #624 on: 20 Nov 2016, 10:18 am »
Thanks but I have just explained that the serial number web browser approach doesn't work on either Safari or Chrome. I have even tried Firefox. I suspect although my DAC is connected by ethernet it has not been activated on my network but despite web searching I can't find how to do that on an iMac-if indeed that is the problem.

audio.bill

« Reply #625 on: 20 Nov 2016, 02:07 pm »
Thanks but I have just explained that the serial number web browser approach doesn't work on either Safari or Chrome. I have even tried Firefox. I suspect although my DAC is connected by ethernet it has not been activated on my network but despite web searching I can't find how to do that on an iMac-if indeed that is the problem.
Sorry - when I read your statement "I tried the http//serial number way but that isn't working" I thought you might have neglected to include the 'bda3' in the URL entered.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #626 on: 20 Nov 2016, 02:15 pm »
Hi BSC

It sounds like the BDA3 is not being assigned an IP address from your router.  Gary will contact you tomorrow but in the meantime down load one of the IP address finders (FING) on your computer and see if the BDA3 IP address shows up.

james

BSC

« Reply #627 on: 20 Nov 2016, 04:35 pm »
James I will wait for the email. I have been able to detect an IP address via the Bda-3 itself but not sure how that fits into things the manual could do with being clearer-sure it explains how to detect the IP address but it doesn't tell you how to utilise it.

Fing is windows based I'm on Mac and most alternatives want to add to your web browser etc etc so I'm not going down that route I am not finding a single app that doesn't look a bit dodgy.

It's a shame for Bryston because the problem with the pops originates from the Oppo 105 itself . Thanks again for your excellent support.

audio.bill

« Reply #628 on: 20 Nov 2016, 04:51 pm »
If you have the IP address you should be able to enter it directly into your browser's address bar. Sorry I'm not a Mac user so am unfamiliar with anything specific to it. Good luck and enjoy the tunes with your BDA-3!

XMAN

« Reply #629 on: 20 Nov 2016, 05:31 pm »
Hi James or Chris, i thought i would check for a firmware update for my BDA3 and got this screen.  Is the server down or is there a problem on my end?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #630 on: 20 Nov 2016, 05:41 pm »
Hi James or Chris, i thought i would check for a firmware update for my BDA3 and got this screen.  Is the server down or is there a problem on my end?

Hi

There is no firmware update for the BDA3.

james

XMAN

« Reply #631 on: 20 Nov 2016, 05:46 pm »
Cheers X

BSC

« Reply #632 on: 20 Nov 2016, 05:50 pm »
Hi

There is no firmware update for the BDA3.

james

James how did you deal with the pop issue on the Oppo then? Has that upgrade been taken down. I mentioned earlier I could see no upgrades on the site-so I'm a bit confused as what the solution is to the Oppo 105 HDMI issue-not sure what the point is either of me getting this Bda-3 I have ready for an update.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #633 on: 20 Nov 2016, 06:20 pm »
James how did you deal with the pop issue on the Oppo then? Has that upgrade been taken down. I mentioned earlier I could see no upgrades on the site-so I'm a bit confused as what the solution is to the Oppo 105 HDMI issue-not sure what the point is either of me getting this Bda-3 I have ready for an update.

Hi

The first version of the software had an issue with the OPPO but not the older OPPO or the Pioneer or Denon or Sony units when playing DSD through the HDMI but the newer software solved that problem. It would pop when you closed a DSD play list. I believe it was only the first 50 units or so that had the older software. 

We are working on software to allow those first units to be updated but so far is still in development.

James

BSC

« Reply #634 on: 20 Nov 2016, 06:32 pm »
Hi

The first version of the software had an issue with the OPPO but not the older OPPO or the Pioneer or Denon units when playing DSD through the HDMI but the newer software solved that problem. It would pop when you closed a play list. I believe it was only the first 50 units or so that had the older software. 

We are working on software to allow those first units to be updated but so far is still in development.

James

James the BDA-3 I have is S/N 000140 and unless you did something funny with the serial numbers then I am getting HDMI issues playing discs via an Oppo 105-it may on occasion give a slight click at the start of a trick or not synch quick enough and miss the start of a track but it gives a loud pop if you stop a track or at the end of playing a disc.

This is I believe due to the Oppo losing the signal to the HDMI momentarily. Not the Bryston's fault but a problem all the same.

Indeed the 105 can be prone to drop outs as a standalone machine if you use it hooked to a TV-the way round that is to use the pure audio option which cuts the HDMI signal obviously if you are using it with a DAC then you are locked into the HDMI option if you are playing SACD's which I have a decent collection of.

I am guessing you might not be totally aware of this problem with a 105 and discs or am I wrong? The other option is that despite the serial number it is an early model.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #635 on: 20 Nov 2016, 06:36 pm »
James the BDA-3 I have is S/N 000140 and unless you did something funny with the serial numbers then I am getting HDMI issues playing discs via an Oppo 105-it may on occasion give a slight click at the start of a trick or not synch quick enough and miss the start of a track but it gives a loud pop if you stop a track or at the end of playing a disc.

This is I believe due to the Oppo losing the signal to the HDMI momentarily. Not the Bryston's fault but a problem all the same.

Indeed the 105 can be prone to drop outs as a standalone machine if you use it hooked to a TV-the way round that is to use the pure audio option which cuts the HDMI signal obviously if you are using it with a DAC then you are locked into the HDMI option if you are playing SACD's which I have a decent collection of.

I am guessing you might not be totally aware of this problem with a 105 and discs or am I wrong? The other option is that despite the serial number it is an early model.

Hi

OK you do have the latest software so I can only assume as you say that the 105 is loosing the handshake. 

I have the OPPO 103D an no issues with it.  I believe the 105 has 2 HDMI outputs (one for audio only) are you using it into the BDA3?

james

BSC

« Reply #636 on: 20 Nov 2016, 07:12 pm »
Hi

OK you do have the latest software so I can only assume as you say that the 105 is loosing the handshake. 

I have the OPPO 103D an no issues with it.  I believe the 105 has 2 HDMI outputs (one for audio only) are you using it into the BDA3?

james

James the only way to get SACD/DSD to the Bryston is by using the HDMI 2 output on the Oppo which I'm obviously using......when you get any audible pop/crack then you can see the synch flicker-it will sometimes go red and click back green at the start of play....I am certain it is the Oppo's fault for the reason's stated.
Via coax from the Oppo into the Bryston is perfect-no issues.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #637 on: 20 Nov 2016, 07:33 pm »
James the only way to get SACD/DSD to the Bryston is by using the HDMI 2 output on the Oppo which I'm obviously using......when you get any audible pop/crack then you can see the synch flicker-it will sometimes go red and click back green at the start of play....I am certain it is the Oppo's fault for the reason's stated.
Via coax from the Oppo into the Bryston is perfect-no issues.

Ok I will see if I can get a 105 and test it.

James

BSC

« Reply #638 on: 20 Nov 2016, 07:42 pm »
Ok I will see if I can get a 105 and test it.

James

James I've asked the question on AVS Forum if Oppo have any plans to look at this-and I will email them direct as really it is their issue. I can see you are very vigilant at keeping your customers happy so I will be emailing them to see if they can do the same. I rather suspect though considering the age of the Oppo and the fact the HDMI handshake (even on video) can be an issue it must have came to their attention and I would have thought a firmware solution would have arrived by now.

BSC

« Reply #639 on: 21 Nov 2016, 10:01 pm »
Hats off to the Bryston Team.

Gary and James really came through today with unparalleled customer support. A phone call from Canada to the UK and remote access to my Mac allowed me to get the latest firmware meaning the largest part of the loud pop issue with the 105 is gone. I had the slightly older firmware.

The DAC in audio terms is tremendous and dealing with these guys you can see why-dedication and focus. Thanks again.