jumper cables

denwenz

jumper cables
« on: 12 Dec 2014, 08:47 pm »
Steve

Several years ago when you were making cables, I bought from you a pair of jumper cables.  I have not used them for awhile because I have been using biwirable speaker cables.  However, I am now going to be purchasing a single pair of speaker cables (shunyata) and will need to use jumper cables with the new cables.  I have two options: 1) buy a pair of shunyata jumper cables or 2) use the jumper cables that i bought from you.  I remember that you were doing something unique with the jumper cables and that these jumper cables might work well with the shunyata cables.  I wanted to get your thoughts on this and ask if you could explain some about the particular technology you used with these jumper cables-thanks

audioengr

Re: jumper cables
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2014, 06:36 pm »
Steve

Several years ago when you were making cables, I bought from you a pair of jumper cables.  I have not used them for awhile because I have been using biwirable speaker cables.  However, I am now going to be purchasing a single pair of speaker cables (shunyata) and will need to use jumper cables with the new cables.  I have two options: 1) buy a pair of shunyata jumper cables or 2) use the jumper cables that i bought from you.  I remember that you were doing something unique with the jumper cables and that these jumper cables might work well with the shunyata cables.  I wanted to get your thoughts on this and ask if you could explain some about the particular technology you used with these jumper cables-thanks

I made two versions of jumper cables, one with wire and another with sheet copper laminated.  The goal of both was to reduce inductance by tight coupling of the two conductors.  They both worked well for this.  Lowering inductance allows for fast di/dt or change in current, which improves dynamics and HF SQ.
Steve N.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2014, 01:54 pm »
Steve, just how long are your jumpers, that you have to worry about inductance?  After all with cables, inductance is a per unit length thing (as are capacitance & resistance).

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2014, 07:34 pm »
Steve, just how long are your jumpers, that you have to worry about inductance?  After all with cables, inductance is a per unit length thing (as are capacitance & resistance).

About 6" long.  It still matters.  I have been at trade shows where the exhibitor just put two wires across the biwire posts of his speakers.  I twisted the wires for him and immediately noticed an improvement in the HF clarity and dynamics.

Steve N.

DaveBSC

« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2014, 01:30 pm »
Steve, just curious but in a somewhat related note, what do you think about speaker cables that use completely separate runs for the + and - connections, rather than bundling them together as is traditional? It's unusual in the high-end cable world, but there are a few companies that make there cables that way. Purist's TOTL for example. Any positives or negatives to that you can think of?

denwenz

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2014, 04:08 pm »
Steve

Thanks for your response to my question about the jumper cables.  Do you still make the Bitmeiser digital cable?

jjh1585

« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2014, 09:46 pm »
I have Steve's BNC Digital cable. It beat a cable I own costing nearly $4000. It is a terrific bargain in my opinion. I am using it on my OR5.

audioengr

« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2014, 03:10 am »
Steve, just curious but in a somewhat related note, what do you think about speaker cables that use completely separate runs for the + and - connections, rather than bundling them together as is traditional? It's unusual in the high-end cable world, but there are a few companies that make there cables that way. Purist's TOTL for example. Any positives or negatives to that you can think of?

I dont like this kind of construction.  You must use large gauge conductors or litz wire. to achieve low inductance.  The inductance is high with these compared to tightly coupled constructions.  Low inductance can be difficult for amps to drive if it is too low, but twisting many pairs together is my favorite construction.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2014, 03:11 am »
Steve

Thanks for your response to my question about the jumper cables.  Do you still make the Bitmeiser digital cable?

No, but I make an even better cable now, the BNC-BNC with RCA adapters.  Unbeaten at the price of $250.

Steve N.