Ported Prestigio

pawsman

Ported Prestigio
« on: 7 Jun 2011, 03:03 pm »
I've got a demo pair of sealed Veritas paired with 2 Emotiva 12" ultra subs; the Veritas are very dynamic, detailed and image very well. I listen exclusively to Classical music, and these speakers do a great job. I'm thinking of sending the subs back (I've got them for 30 days), and going with the ported Veritas or ported Prestigios alone. Anyone on the Forum have experience with the ported Prestigios? I'm in a medium size listening room with a vaulted ceiling. My system: Sony transport/Benchmark DAC 1/NAD 326BEE Preamp/UPA-1 monblocs.

pawsman

JP78

Re: Ported Prestigio
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2011, 06:37 pm »
What kind of classical music?

It sounds like you're very happy with the speakers; what exactly are you not satisfied with right now?

jonbee

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2011, 02:25 am »
I have ported Tempestas, which have the same cabinets and similar woofers to the ported Veritas, thus the same bottom end spec. My room is medium sized, and eats bass energy. They sound very well balanced, with good weight. With most music a sub is not needed, but for movies I've decided to go with a sub for the visceral impact. A room that loads the bass more solidly might not need a sub at all. So- it depends on how your room loads bass, and what you listen to. For most classical a sub is not needed, but it does help for the body sensation of pipe organ pedals.

music lover

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jun 2011, 07:43 pm »
 jonbee, how far do you have your Tempestas spaced apart from center of the woofer? I have mines just under 7' with very slight

toe in,and the front of the speakers are 4' from the back wall.

jonbee

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2011, 01:04 am »
They are about 8 feet apart, toed in slightly. I sit about 11 feet away. I have them a foot from the back wall, but 22" does sound better.
This week I got a James EMB-1000 sub, which is quite small at 12x12x14. It sounds great with the Ts, crossed over at 40 hz. I've used quite a few small subs in my condo system, and the James is easily the most invisible sonically, while still adding really good weight and impact to the bottom.

music lover

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2011, 02:32 am »
Thanks for the feedback.

kip_

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2011, 02:49 am »
I can't comment on the bass between these two, but the Prestigios will have a bit different midrange presentation due to the fact that they're MTMs. There's less vertical dispersion and thus they're not quite as good as a MT or WMT for standing listening. The woofers are both metal cone so I'm not sure how the tonality would differ much.