Recommendations for a standmount/monitor speaker (budget: $3-4k)

dburna

I am doing some future research for a few years down the road.  In order to please the Mrs. (aka: She Who Must Be Obeyed), I am most likely going to go from floorstanding to monitor speakers when we become empty nesters....as I know SWMBO is going to want us to get smaller digs.

As such, I've decided to begin a long-term search to find a monitor that I can put on a stand and move into place during listening hours (and put away when they are not in use).  Going to save up so I can wait patiently for the right speakers and pounce when the price is right.  Am looking for monitors that are not a huge sonic compromise despite a compact form factor.  Some things I am looking for:

1. Decent low extension: doesn't have to be below 40Hz, but at least around there
2. Revealing but never shrill -- I am really sensitive aesthetically to digititis and glare
3. Fast, responsive....but most of all MUSICAL.
4. All things being equal, high efficiency is better than low....but I know that this is usually one of the compromises of monitor speakers.
5. Neutral, maybe just a tinge to the warm side
6. No overt cabinet colorations.  Was just at AXPONA 2017 and the Harbeths and Audio Note speakers ring (as they were designed).  Just to be sure it wasn't my hearing, I put my hand on the cabinet as they were playing and....my hearing is fine.  I find that sound distracting, despite the obvious merits of these two speaker lines.
7. Nice cosmetics (to please SWMBO).  You know, nothing with antlers, antennae, or massive Avantgarde horn speaker protuberances.   :lol:
8. Would prefer something that didn't need a sub.
9. Would prefer something that sounded good at low volumes.
10. Would prefer something that could be used near room boundaries (side/back walls) without horrific sonic compromises.
11. Would like to stay at/around $3k, new or used.  Could go higher, but may not want to unless the fit is ideal.

Am thinking that ultimately I would pair this with something like the new Pass XA25 (which is coming out as an integrated version in the fall-ish timeframe).  Right now, would consider some new Fritz Carrera BEs, new/used Odyssey Kismets, used WLM Diva, used SP Tech/Aethers, etc.  I am thinking that Salks are not for me -- I have heard them multiple times at shows and liked (but never loved) them.

With some of the above speakers as potential guidelines for my taste, what do folks suggest I check out?  Any hidden gems that I may have missed?

Thanks in advance for your input,  -dB

Russell Dawkins

The Vandersrteen VLR has gotten some strong reviews, and has been voiced to sound correct withtin one foot of the rear (or front) wall. It's ± $1200.
Good review on page 57 of the current Tone magazine 
http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_075.pdf
If you are looking for more bass extension in a compact speaker here are a couple of unusual recommendations; the Buchardt S300 Mk II at €1200  (passive)
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/buchardt/1.html
and the APS Klasik or, even better, the APS Aeon (active, and within your price range).
http://aps-company.com/page-product-aeon.html

Both have very extended and high quality bass.

I'd also be curious about the Audio Physic Step Plus:
http://www.audiophysic.de/step_plus/index_e.html

avta

I would suggest you listen to some Joseph Audio Prisms

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Also recommend looking into active monitors.  This will provide extra bass for a given size of cabinet, plus lots of other advantages.

But first find out how big the listening space will be and how far away you'll be listening.  In a smaller space will these speakers also serve to watch movies?  For instance, the very well respected KH120 should work fine in a small/medium sized room, but the KH310 would serve a medium/larger room well.

JakeJ

I'll side with Mr. Dawkins recommendation of an active.  In another ten years I may be downsizing as well and having a bit of experience with actives (in my HT kit) that will be my primary consideration.

I'm 5 minutes from bailing from work so I'll try to come up with some brand/model suggestions later.  First one that comes to mind is Salk's active, the PowerPlay, I think?

Russell Dawkins

Another that come to mind, given the stated $3000 limit, and allowing that an amp is not needed with these, the JBL 708s are $4000 the pair but include (massive) amplification and the JBL 508 would be a sweetheart, too. I'm thinking of a pair myself for the downsizing stage!

Wind Chaser

I know someone who went from the highly regarded Spatial M3 Turbo S to Totem Embers and he hasn't looked back. I haven't heard them myself but they have garnered some exceptionally great reviews. YMMV

WGH

An AC member mentioned to me that the small SP Tech/Aethers he has need to be played loud in order to open up and sound their best.

artur9

I've heard some Totems and they do sound nice.
I bought Vienna Acoustics Haydns and I love them.  Whenever I change anything they help me hear the change.

I'm also considering the future and downsizing.  On my list of things to hear are Trenner & Friedl Suns, Role Audio Sampans, Airtight Bonsai and Totem Sky.
« Last Edit: 7 May 2017, 02:56 am by artur9 »

Jonathon Janusz

Might be worth looking at the new speakers from Evoke here on AC.  I read the website on the new "ruby" model and it seems to hit a good number of your check boxes.

A question from another direction, unless you are really meaning to completely pack down and store your speakers between listening, wouldn't a pair of small floorstanders (basically a monitor/bookshelf sized speaker with an "integrated" stand) serve just as well and allow you to get more of what you're after without change in footprint?  This reminded me of a pair of used Odyssey Kismet floorstanders on the 'gon right now for a price within your wheelhouse.

Folsom

Fritz speakers.

zoom25

Check out Amphion One15 / One18.

Comparison with other monitors to get an idea, especially in the midrange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB1v-2fJZ2s

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.

witchdoctor

Kef Active LS-50 (includes built in amps). Active speakers are better than passives, period. There are other choices if you don't like Kef.

mcgsxr

Salk actives.

She picks the veneer and stain.

You sell your amps!

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
dB,

I'm a fan of controlled directivity designs and as such my recommendations will side with those types of designs. In that vein, here are my recommendations:

JBL 708p/708i or their little brothers 508p/508i 705p/705i - you and the wife may not like the looks though.

ELAC Adante AC-61 (A good subjective review is here on this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2703993-elac-adante-ces-2017-a.html#post49658497). It's supposed to be out soon, is designed by Andrew Jones, and they look nice. I would look at these as a direct competitor to KEF in this price range (and I'm a fan of KEF too!).

If you find a decent woodworker or builder, AND if it passes your wife's inspection, you can try Linkwitz LX Mini, there are some prettier builds out there and the design does approach CD. However, you may not like the looks at all.

I've listened to various smaller stand mount speakers, all of them non-CD design including Fritz, Salk, Sonus Faber, Evoke, etc...and haven't been impressed. But the ones that impressed me are the Ryan Speakers R610 and various stand mount designs from Selah audio.

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 6 May 2017, 08:08 pm by poseidonsvoice »

goskers

Another that come to mind, given the stated $3000 limit, and allowing that an amp is not needed with these, the JBL 708s are $4000 the pair but include (massive) amplification and the JBL 508 would be a sweetheart, too. I'm thinking of a pair myself for the downsizing stage!

The JBL 705p or 708p could be in the mix.  Hit most of your criteria except for perhaps the asthetic part.

Active, powered monitors, neutral, clarity and extension.  Find somewhere which you can purchase with a trial period.

nature boy

Fritz Carbon 7 SE's.  You can't go wrong.

NB

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
The JBL 705p or 708p could be in the mix.  Hit most of your criteria except for perhaps the asthetic part.

Active, powered monitors, neutral, clarity and extension.  Find somewhere which you can purchase with a trial period.
This.