Bryston 1B with MC phono stage

hanfrac

Bryston 1B with MC phono stage
« on: 24 Aug 2016, 11:26 pm »
I just made an impulse buy on ebay for a 1B preamplifier.  The phono inputs say MC/1 and MM/2.  Is this a common product?  Can I assume this has a step-up transformer in it?

I'm pretty excited about this purchase.  I used to own an 11B, but sold it.  I prefer the looks of the 1B.  Given that this is 30-ish years old, should I be getting it recapped?  It sounds good so far, but I don't know how much better it could be with fresh caps.  If I go down this road, is recapping a preamp like this something a good local shop can be trusted with?  Sending it to Bryston requires buying a box, having the box shipped to be, and so on, which makes it an expensive proposition.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2016, 03:05 pm by hanfrac »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston 1B with MC phono stage
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2016, 03:14 pm »
I just made an impulse buy on ebay for a 1B preamplifier.  The phono inputs say MC/1 and MM/2.  Is this a common product?  Can I assume this has a step-up transformer in it?

I'm pretty excited about this purchase.  I used to own an 11B, but sold it.  I prefer the looks of the 1B.  Given that this is 30-ish years old, should I be getting it recapped?  It sounds good so far, but I don't know how much better it could be with fresh caps.  If I go down this road, is recapping a preamp like this something a good local shop can be trusted with?  Sending it to Bryston requires buying a box, having the box shipped to be, and so on, which makes it an expensive proposition.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Email Mike at Bryston and he can answer your questions on the caps.
mpickett@bryston.com

james