Current production 12AU7 signal tubes -- Impressions? Opinions?

HAITIMAN

I've tried a lot of both new and NOS 12AU7's in both my preamp and phono stage. No, I haven't tried the Pavane's so I can't speak to them. The best I've found are the Baldwins. Not expensive and just totally balanced and beautiful. Try them if you get a chance.

The Hammond and Conn are both excellent. as well.

borism

I believe the CONN, Hammond and Baldwin labeled tubes are NOS clear top RCA 12au7 produced for the organ manufacturers. I have the CONN labeled ones in my preamplifier and preferred them to NOS Mullards, Mazda/CIFTEs and RTs in my system.

Freo-1

I was talking to Stan at ESRC the other week about tubes.  He has a TON of NOS 12AU7.  Stick with those. Current production small signal tubes are just not that good, no matter what the hype. 

ElliottStudio

• Industry Participant
  • I do it because I love to.
    • Elliott Studio Arts
Hmmm, the JJs sound pretty good in my preamp (short plate), and the EH don't, by a small degree, sound as good. But the EH sound better as first stage / phase inverter in my amps. I go through a fair number of both types for my builds and they both have about the same failure rate (noisy, miss-matched sections, dead after a few hours, etc).

As previously stated, it all depends on which circuit they're used in. Ain't this fun?

Freo-1

You should call Stan at ESRC and get some NOS tubes. Every tube head I deal with is pleasantly surprised when they get quality NOS tubes in their gear.

Jon L

I really wanted the Pavane 12au7 to rock my world in my Minimax DAC and tried it both in the DAC's stock form and with extensive modification  and, though good, its not great. 

Not exactly current-production but close, Ei 12AU7's handily compete with any NOS I have in house.  Pavane not so much..

Bigfishhk

I may be a little off topic here, but I have a pair of Pvane 12ax7's that I really, really like. My new amp uses 12au7's--so I bought a pair of Pvane 12au7's for it. The au7's have as many or more hours in them as my 12ax7's have, but the Pvane 12au7's just are not singing for me like the 12ax7's did (of course the 12ax7's were in a different amp).

if you want to sell off one of the Psvane 12au7, pls let me know thanks
TOm