Favorite Low Watt Speakers (pictures welcomed)

DeadFish

Re: Favorite Low Watt Speakers (pictures welcomed)
« Reply #20 on: 13 Apr 2012, 06:04 am »
Thanks for the links and pictures, Scott!  That was a fun day!! 

Sorry it has turned into time to move those Altec 19's 'down the road' though... They have been a good listen with a *lot* of amps, as long as they weren't solid state!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #21 on: 13 Apr 2012, 09:47 am »
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue30/images/Doc%20Brown%20-%20Electrovoice%20speakers.jpg

These are my favorites. Electrovoice Sentry III on the left. Me and my Dad had a room at the AK Fest that year. People still tell me how much they liked these speakers.

What a blast. That's where I met Jim Salk and Frank Van Alstine and Nate Field and Kegger and
Grumpy and Squidward and Tony Ho and...

Don't miss this event, nothing like it. Sorry to get off track.

Sorry I missed that AKFest.  My college room mate coop'd at EV and sourced us several pair of B-stock (veneer boo boo's) Sentry speakers at 1/3rd MSRP.  No wonder they went out of business.

lokie

« Reply #22 on: 13 Apr 2012, 11:55 am »

Here's mine. Folded horn cabinet with 15" Tannoy Golds.

tomytoons

« Reply #23 on: 13 Apr 2012, 02:59 pm »
A Low Watt system past.

Decware Sig Monos, (6watts), Speltz Autoformers, Brines FT1600II speakers, HSU Sub. I loved that MFA Magus 2B pre!!!

Mijknarf

« Reply #24 on: 13 Apr 2012, 03:49 pm »
Visaton B200 in OB, driven full range by a 2A3 SET.  Best sound by far.  I use EQ in J.River to reduce the peaks between 3-5kHz.  Woofers are driven separately via plate amps with crossover set at ~175Hz.

JCS

« Reply #25 on: 15 Apr 2012, 06:29 pm »
Metronomes I built using Fostex FE167e drivers (now discontinued).  First, under construction:

Finished, standing in front of FE108eSigma Mets I built a couple years before:

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #26 on: 15 Apr 2012, 09:42 pm »
You guuys have some awesome looking systems....very cool!!!! I'm sitting here drooling over them....
 Hey JCS how does the new metronome sound...is it clear and full sounding ? How about the low end, specifically how do  kick drums sound?? :thumb: :green:

JCS

« Reply #27 on: 16 Apr 2012, 01:51 pm »
Hi eclein,

I really like the Met design.  I have built three pairs now, and it's the only design I have repeated: started with FE108eSigma, then F120a, and now FE167e.  The FE108eS and FE167e require BSC, the F120a does not. 

The F120a doesn't sound very good with direct coupled SS amps--the highs just die.  My old capacitively coupled SS Sansui receivers do OK, but tubes are much better.  A MiniWatt S-1 sounds good, but the bass is a little plump, and for any music with lots of bass, it just doesn't have enough power (2.5 wpc) to reach more than very modest SPLs.  I have recently built a Dynakitparts.com ST-35 (17.5 wpc) and am very pleased with it on the F120a; perhaps a bit shy in the bass, but this is a known characteristic of the ST-35.

With proper source and amp, the F120a is a very special driver!  The mids and highs are superb.

The FE108eS is my second choice, again for sweet mids and nice highs.

The FE167e is a fine driver, but it trades off some quality in the highs to get more bass and greater dynamic range.

All of these speakers have cleaner highs with tubes than with my various SS receivers/amps.  The easiest way to hear this is with the high notes on piano.

IMO, none of these single full range drivers will do high SPLs.  I don't listen all that loud--maybe 90 dB peaks max when I turn it up.

So, to finally get to your question:  assuming you can live with the limited SPL compared to big muilt-way speakers: the FE167e does pretty well on kick drum, the F120a is OK, the FE108eS needs help.  I have a sub for use with the FE108eS.

Cheers,  Jim

JCS

« Reply #28 on: 18 Apr 2012, 01:47 pm »
It occurred to me later that you may have been asking if kick drums give that thump in the chest.  To that the answer is no, small single full range drivers don't do that.  Don't move enough air, don't go that loud.  If the question is one of tone/tambre: they can do that.

Cheers,  Jim

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #29 on: 19 Apr 2012, 11:04 pm »
It occurred to me later that you may have been asking if kick drums give that thump in the chest.  To that the answer is no, small single full range drivers don't do that.  Don't move enough air, don't go that loud.  If the question is one of tone/timbre: they can do that.

I don't know about others, but my speakers that can give me the "thump in the chest" rarely and I do mean rarely get played that loud.

There is always the option of running helper woofers with your FR drivers for those times you need a little more bottom.  :thumb:

Lin

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #30 on: 21 Apr 2012, 04:47 pm »
In 2005 I listen the active sub, Uno(or Duo) for 4 hours in a friend huge room, with a BAT VK51se/75se stereo and DCS Elgar etc.
I was not impressed as the soundstage was thin and stretched between speakers, in a far position each other, to complete the un-audiophile touch, there was a pair of bergere chairs between the speakers to please the wife.

Otherwise the sound was good, very good, entended treble. Much money and few knowledge in that system. This audiophile was supported by a huge hi-end shop, unable to detect the problem.

InfernoSTi

« Reply #31 on: 21 Apr 2012, 06:52 pm »
On the low watt amp thread, I was asked what speakers I used with my 2A3 amp and this was my response...I realize it would be more appropriate in this thread, so here it is:

I use Hawthorne Audio SSI Trios currently but have a set of the new References on the way.  They have been built but are being reviewed by Bound For Sound so I don't have them in my possession yet.  Once they arrive, I will be modifying them with Darrel Hawthorne from the single speaker MTW setup (mid, tweeter, woofer) to a dual speaker MTM/WW setup (mid, tweet, mid on one baffle and two Augies per side on a second baffle).  The MTM setup will be amazing, I think.  You can see a photo of my speakers on the cover of the AKFest 2012 webpage:

http://www.akfest.com/

I have the dual Augie towers already (the rest within a month, I hope):

Don't mind my SSI drivers in an old baffle...the sound is excellent even in temporary baffles!

Best,
John

InfernoSTi

« Reply #32 on: 21 Apr 2012, 06:53 pm »
It occurred to me later that you may have been asking if kick drums give that thump in the chest.  To that the answer is no, small single full range drivers don't do that.  Don't move enough air, don't go that loud.  If the question is one of tone/tambre: they can do that.

Cheers,  Jim

My OB speakers use four 15" woofers and move lots of air effortlessly.  I've not had anyone complain about the bass yet....   :lol:

Best,
John

michaelhigh

« Reply #33 on: 8 May 2012, 06:51 pm »
I still like these, but don't get to them very often...
this isn't my pair, but my Altec 19's are up in the attic.

I'm in awe! I finally got daves' Decware, and now, to look at these is to lust my ASS off! Hope all is well with you, Bill.

sebrof

« Reply #34 on: 8 May 2012, 11:29 pm »
I just put these together last week, based on the 3 Pi but in a floorstanding cabinet that I picked up and painted. I swore off horns several years ago after I owned a pair I wasn't crazy about, but these things are very smooth. I like them, about 95db sensitive. I drive them with my DIY 2A3 SET amp (4 wpc) or a Manley Stingray (18 wpc in Triode)

Gothover

« Reply #35 on: 11 May 2012, 10:35 pm »
The Yeild is my new favorite low watt speaker.

94+db

Poultrygeist

« Reply #36 on: 13 May 2012, 01:03 am »
3 way 98 db Beta 12LTA with super tweeter over H-frame Alpha ( tri-amped ).

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #37 on: 13 May 2012, 10:32 am »
I heard the new $14k Hawthornes at the recent AKFest and thought they were best of show (but huge - part of the low wattage/deep bass game).

Then last Thursday stopped by Dave Leonard's place (Hurdy-Gurdy Dave) who helped Daryl with the first designs.  He's still playing with the crossover and I had a chance to briefly listen.  His new combo of 15 inch Silver Iris/Augie is the best I've heard by a long way and he's not done yet.

R_burke

« Reply #38 on: 17 May 2012, 04:18 pm »
GR-Research OB-5s

lazydays

« Reply #39 on: 17 May 2012, 05:47 pm »
I have a pair of Hade built Solioquy monitors that were designed for the 2a3 tube set. Have driven them with 8watt ASL monoblocs but nothing smaller. Nice warm sound from them.
gary