Sonics / Bryston question

RayCervenka

Sonics / Bryston question
« on: 18 Oct 2016, 08:11 am »
I have (2) Sonics branded Brystons 3B's I purchased from an audio contractor used in the OmniMax Theaters as discussed in an older post. They are dated a 'vintage' 1989 and need to be repaired/restored. In the pro-audio world, the earlier Brystons are preferred choice and not the SST line. I currently drive both Tannoy NF8's and Yamaha NS10's. Looking to replace the NF8's with a pair of 15" Tannoy SGM's.
I contacted Bryston and they declined to do any work on them. On eBay, amplifier_surgery offeres a full restoration of 3/4B's for $600. Is it worth spending any money at all being they are close to 30 years old?
Many thanks for any advice!
Best Regards,
-R

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Sonics / Bryston question
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2016, 10:11 am »
I will follow this topic with interest.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2016, 10:26 am »
I have (2) Sonics branded Brystons 3B's I purchased from an audio contractor used in the OmniMax Theaters as discussed in an older post. They are dated a 'vintage' 1989 and need to be repaired/restored. In the pro-audio world, the earlier Brystons are preferred choice and not the SST line. I currently drive both Tannoy NF8's and Yamaha NS10's. Looking to replace the NF8's with a pair of 15" Tannoy SGM's.
I contacted Bryston and they declined to do any work on them. On eBay, amplifier_surgery offeres a full restoration of 3/4B's for $600. Is it worth spending any money at all being they are close to 30 years old?
Many thanks for any advice!
Best Regards,
-R

Hi Ray

Where are you located and whom did you contact at Bryston?

james

RayCervenka

« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2016, 05:30 pm »
James,
I'm in Los Angeles. Its been a few years and I can't recall who I spoke with at Bryston.  I'll have some pic's to post later - need a square-head allen wrench to pop the hood.
Thx,
-R

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2016, 06:07 pm »
James,
I'm in Los Angeles. Its been a few years and I can't recall who I spoke with at Bryston.  I'll have some pic's to post later - need a square-head allen wrench to pop the hood.
Thx,
-R

Ok please contact Mike Picket at Bryston as it is better for us to do any repairs.

mpickett@bryston.com

james

RayCervenka

« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2016, 01:43 am »
Thank you James. Will do and report back. These always sounded awesome.

mrhyfy

« Reply #6 on: 26 Oct 2016, 10:40 pm »
James,
- need a square-head allen wrench to pop the hood.
Thx,
-R

that's a "ROBERTSON"  head.  It's a Canadian thing!!  EH!!