dspMusikLCD crossover for JBL M2 speakers

HAL

dspMusikLCD crossover for JBL M2 speakers
« on: 13 Oct 2017, 08:57 pm »
Have a request for a dspMusikLCD digital crossover for the JBL M2 speaker system to use instead of the Crown amps the original crossover was created to run.  This will be for a demo once the system is setup.

Have the prototype block diagram completed and running. Next will be testing the response to see if this matches the reference curves.  Will setup Pocket CLIO for taking the response data.

HAL

Re: dspMusikLCD crossover for JBL M2 speakers
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2017, 03:27 pm »
Have a JBL M2 owner that is interested in a demo, so will finish the setup and measurements for the system and get it ready to ship for listening trials.

Once the final crossover is decided, will post response plots of the dspMusikLCD version.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2017, 03:52 pm »
Rich, you should consider sharing this info with the folks at Lansing Heritage. There are members there building diy M2s. You should probably introduce yourself to them as most there won't have any idea what you do. http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/

HAL

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2017, 03:58 pm »
Rusty,
Thanks for the info.

If the JBL M2 demo goes well, then will post on the site.  I have no way to listen to the M2 speaker system, so if the results are positive, then would make sense to let them know.

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2017, 05:19 pm »
M2 DIY movement was stifled when JBL shut down the parts supply to non M2 owners.  :cry:

This might help you Rich, fwiw: JBL M2 crossover settings

HAL

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2017, 05:24 pm »
Rich,
Thanks!  :)

I used that to make the prototype, so should be close.  Have to use a different approach for some of it as it is proprietary to Crown.  Will use the alternatives suggested in the paper.

This should be interesting!

HAL

« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2017, 01:20 pm »
Have the latest dspMusikLCD demo unit in and ready for JBL M2 trials when someone has interest. 

Once I flash the program, the unit is stand alone and works with the remote control for most functions users want.  Input selection (analog, USB and S/PDIF), mute, volume control, ADC and DAC filters, ADC and DAC voltage levels.  System comes with the remote control for use.

I have a set of balanced cables for system connection with the system for trials.  You just need the amps and speakers.

Happy Holidays!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2018, 02:36 pm »
Is there a way to just use the DSP only so an external dac can go direct? 

HAL

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2018, 03:44 pm »
No.  The four DAC's are on the dspMusikLCD 2x8 motherboard. 

TomS

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2018, 03:49 pm »
What are the source inputs?

HAL

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2018, 03:52 pm »
Tom,
Balanced Analog, USB2 and S/PDIF inputs on the system.  All selected by the remote control or front panel control.

TomS

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2018, 03:55 pm »
Jason, With 2 balanced inputs coming from your DAC and DSPMusik's 4 channel DAC outputs, this would be essentially the same as a BSS BLU-50.

HAL

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2018, 04:00 pm »
I will propose an idea.

I send the demo unit to you both and let you try it for 2 weeks.  Then send to the other one.  I only have one unit available for demo, so serial trials will work. 

Will be out until 22 Jan, so gives some time to get ready if needed.

I just need to know cables, as the unit has 1/4" TRS connectors, so I send TRS to XLR balanced cables for I/O.  If single ended, will send adapters.

TomS

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2018, 04:12 pm »
I will propose an idea.

I send the demo unit to you both and let you try it for 2 weeks.  Then send to the other one.  I only have one unit available for demo, so serial trials will work. 

Will be out until 22 Jan, so gives some time to get ready if needed.

I just need to know cables, as the unit has 1/4" TRS connectors, so I send TRS to XLR balanced cables for I/O.  If single ended, will send adapters.
It's all balanced I/O (XLR).

I couldn't do anything until after that time anyway. I need 4 identical amp channels of sufficient power available, which is still in the works.

Let's just stay in contact via email go from there.

HAL

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jan 2018, 06:35 pm »
Tom,
Ok, will be down in FL next week in the Orlando area.  Hope everything is going well.

TomS

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jan 2018, 06:37 pm »
Tom,
Ok, will be down in FL next week in the Orlando area.  Hope everything is going well.
I'm 3-4 hours southwest of you, enjoy  :thumb:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 11 Jan 2018, 06:38 pm »
Yeah let's see in a couple months where we're at but I should be able to try it.   :thumb:

HAL

« Reply #17 on: 11 Jan 2018, 06:42 pm »
Tom,

Thanks!

Jason,

Ok, keep me posted when you are ready. 

HAL

« Reply #18 on: 22 Jan 2018, 05:29 pm »
Have another person interested in the JBL M2 digital crossover, so will get the dspMusikLCD unit programmed for response testing as a comparison to the reference frequency response plot in the document. 

Will post them both as a comparison once completed.

HAL

« Reply #19 on: 22 Jan 2018, 09:03 pm »
Here is the results of the dspMusikLCD 2x8 digital version of the JBL M2 digital crossover from the reference document posted earlier with the frequency response plots. 

Problem is the scales on the original response graphs are missing in the PDF, so no absolute reference other than the data in the document. 

Looks close from what data I can check.  Now for someone with JBL M2's to check the sound.