Why does everyone that has awesome speakers play such boring music?

mix4fix

• Facilitator
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Why don't they ever play real mainstream music? You can't get a grasp of how they sound if you have never heard the music before, nor want to hear it ever again!!

fredgarvin

examples?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Most mainstream music is poorly recorded (to fit best into earbuds, cars, and in general noisy environments) so they sound like crap on a highly resolving system.

OTOH audiences get bored hearing the same old well made recordings over and over, yet new (not recognized) well made recordings continue to come out, so what to do?  Plus we don't all have the same musical tastes.

twitch54

Why don't they ever play real mainstream music? You can't get a grasp of how they sound if you have never heard the music before, nor want to hear it ever again!!

what time did you start drinking today ?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.

Maybe because mainstream music generally sucks?  Just sayin'...

charmerci

OTOH audiences get bored hearing the same old well made recordings over and over, yet new (not recognized) well made recordings continue to come out, so what to do?  Plus we don't all have the same musical tastes.

OTOH, we're there to compare the sound of systems not really to listen to music. If you're familiar with the sound, then you know what you're comparing.

wushuliu

Because it's the most flattering to the speakers. Also check the median age for audiophiles, I mean, come on.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Why does everyone that has awesome speakers play such boring music?

Thank you for reminding me that it must be *Broadly-Over-Generalized-Tuesday*.  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
This thread is so true, years ago I went visit a dentist to listen a equip he was selling, the guy had more than $50K USD in DCS and EMM equipment in his room, at the end of the visit he showed me his discs, were all CDs among 20 and 30, no SACDs.

I was shocked, so later I realize he dont know music even pop or rock, let alone jazz or classical.

Stu Pitt

A couple of thoughts...

Define mainstream music.  “Now that’s what I call music!” vol. whatever?  Stuff on the radio, regardless of genre?

Boring in who’s eyes?  Yours or theirs?

I don’t know how mainstream my library is.  Mostly classic rock, 90s alt rock, and metal from the era of the original Black Sabbath to today.  Not really mainstream to me, certainly not boring to me.  You might find it boring though.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
what time did you start drinking today ?
This is the best response so far.
Hopefully the OP knows enough to take his own music along if he's evaluating gear. 
Real "main stream" music???  Honestly, I couldn't tell you the name of a hit song for at least the past 5 years... just don't listen to it.   If I am demo'ing a system, I'll play for soundstage, detail, piano, female vocals, and large orchestral.   The purpose isn't to entertain. 

Mike B.

My take on the question is there are a lot of audiophile approved offerings by outfits like Linn and Mapleshade that are well recorded, but the material might be obscure or not involving. I would call them system demo recordings Vs. current mass produced offerings. The objective should be music you like, not just for the recording quality. If I have misunderstood, so be it.

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
I've been to more than one gathering where I heard nothing but highly compressed pop music and could never get a feel for how good the kit really was. There are sooo many talented musicians that don't record on major labels but still put out scores of great music. A lot of them even play popular covers that you most likely know and enjoy. Maybe you haven't been exposed?

-Dieter

Tyson

Why does everyone that has awesome speakers an internet connection play post such boring music stupid opinions?

Fixed that for you.

mix4fix

• Facilitator
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Fixed that for you.

Speak for yourself about stupid opinions. Saying one prefers this type of music, movies, or TV shows over that one is not a big deal.

And, here's a little tidbit for you: I have been in enough audio shows to witness the playing of "regular" music being popular with the crowd. I've seen Green Day draw people in the past. I've seen Metallica, Ozzy, Daft Punk, Kraftwerk, Tom Tom Club, Michael Jackson,  L.L. Cool Jay, and other stuff draw people, There are many who attend audio shows who don't care for "audiophile" approved music. On a side note, most modern Pop music is garbage but once in a while Taylor Swift, Paramore, or Echosmith has something that stands out.

It's great to have something that can show off you system. But, on a daily basis, people listen to regular music. If they don't, tell they guy who snatched the Cranberries album before I could to give it back.

Tyson

Speak for yourself about stupid opinions. Saying one prefers this type of music, movies, or TV shows over that one is not a big deal.

And, here's a little tidbit for you: I have been in enough audio shows to witness the playing of "regular" music being popular with the crowd. I've seen Green Day draw people in the past. I've seen Metallica, Ozzy, Daft Punk, Kraftwerk, Tom Tom Club, Michael Jackson,  L.L. Cool Jay, and other stuff draw people, There are many who attend audio shows who don't care for "audiophile" approved music. On a side note, most modern Pop music is garbage but once in a while Taylor Swift, Paramore, or Echosmith has something that stands out.

It's great to have something that can show off you system. But, on a daily basis, people listen to regular music. If they don't, tell they guy who snatched the Cranberries album before I could to give it back.

And here's a tidbit for you.  I've been to a few audio shows myself.  And you know what, I bring my own music, which never includes jazz and frequently includes artists like Tom Waits and Tool. 

Sounds like you're just being a complainypants about the fact that people (who are not you) use music you don't like to evaluate systems.  For a while there I felt the same.  I figured if I heard "Tin Pan Alley" one more time I'd shoot myself in the head.  But whatevs, I don't own the show, it wasn't put on for my personal benefit, and people can use whatever they like.  I'm sure a lot of people had thoughts about how shitty my demo music was when I had Tool cranked at loud volumes. 

ctviggen

I listen to a lot of different music. This is a random song mix of what I'm listening to now:

I have two younger daughters, and I hate to say that I like a lot of what they listen to, too. So much that I bought some of it for myself.  Even those "Now, That's What I Call Music!" CDs.

If I were to test something, say a DAC, I would use different music, though, where I can hear different things. For instance, I like Down to the River to Pray from O Brother, Where Art Thou?  It should sound as if you're in a church and you should hear singers from way in the back.  I also like Johnny Cash, as his voice is easy for me to hear and pick out nuances in.  I'm personally not a fan of female music for this purpose.  I also think hard rock/metal doesn't help much for this purpose.  But, to each his or her own.

rbbert

...on a daily basis, people listen to regular music...

What the h___ is "regular music"??

jcake5

Regular Music to me is "what you like".  There is no way to define regular music just as there is no regular food or drink.  Apply a little logic and you should understand that we humans are all different in everything. 

Cheers,
Eric

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Regular Music to me is "what you like".  There is no way to define regular music just as there is no regular food or drink.  Apply a little logic and you should understand that we humans are all different in everything. 

Cheers,
Eric

Eric, BRILLIANT !!!!

charles