Diffusor & Absorber Advice for Martin Logans

Syrah

Diffusor & Absorber Advice for Martin Logans
« on: 9 Jan 2018, 04:34 pm »
Glenn and Others,

I have my old ML SL3s in a new room.  The room is very rectangular with tons of space behind the seating position.  My plan is to put corner bass traps on the front corners, absorbers on the side walls at the first and second reflection points, and four 4" 705 absorbers on the ceiling.

I'm not sure what to do on the front and back walls.  The front wall is basically one giant glass french door - so no mounting.  I know that electrostatic are a bit different.  I'm thinking of one stand mounted 4" absorber in the center, because my past experience shows that this works well with MLs.

But I'm also thinking of building stands to mount Gotham diffusors behind the panels and to the walls immediately to the side of the speakers.

Any tips particular to MLs and stats?

Also, is there any issue with mounting Gotham's next to each other?  I recall there is an issue with some diffusors, I forget the reason, something about not wanting repeating patterns.

Also, also, for the stand mounted absorber in the front/center, I'll need it to look good on both sides.  I was thinking of getting two of your DIY frames and putting one 2" piece of 705 in each and covering them.  Then velcroing the two together, leaving a four inch air gap in the center.  Any issues with that?  Am I better off just using 8" of 705?

Thanks.

fex02

Re: Diffusor & Absorber Advice for Martin Logans
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2018, 07:39 pm »
Give Allen a call at SLR acoustics.he made my room spectacular.The difference was breathtaking.615 469 0279.
174223[/img]

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2018, 11:17 am »
Actually the Gothams would be good for the front wall and no problem at all mounting them side by side. One other idea you may want to consider is using our Alpha (A4 or A6) 2D panels on the front wall. That will diffuse the upper frequencies AND help with low end absorption which is always needed on the front wall. 

Syrah

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2018, 02:23 pm »
Thanks.  Any pros and cons with MLs of using Gotham vs. 2d Alpha?  Why 2d and not 3d?

Given that the MLs are line sources, should the openings of the 2d run vertical or horizontal?  I guess the idea is to scatter towards the floor and ceiling?

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2018, 02:31 pm »
Not sure what you mean by "ML"?

"Why 2d and not 3d?" Because 3d was invented by some marketing department? :lol: :lol: :lol: 1D is scattering one way (left/right or up and down), 2D is scattering both up and down and side to side. That DOES not mean that either don't also scratter "outward", which I believe is where this whole 3D stuff started.

Syrah

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2018, 02:36 pm »
Martin Logans.

Syrah

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2018, 02:47 pm »
Since the back will be visible on my balcony, through the french doors/front wall, I also need something that looks finished/good in the back.  I don't see many back photos of your products online, like the Polyfusor for example.  I know that most are designed to be wall mounted.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2018, 02:51 pm »
Since the back will be visible on my balcony, through the french doors/front wall, I also need something that looks finished/good in the back.  I don't see many back photos of your products online, like the Polyfusor for example.  I know that most are designed to be wall mounted.

The Alpha you can get with it covered on the back (no staples showing) so it is finished on both sides. When you order you should see that option. Let me know if you have any trouble.

JWL.GIK

• Facilitator
    • GIK Acoustics
« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2018, 04:28 pm »
One difference with Martin Logans, or any dipole/electrostatic speaker, is what to do with the rear wave coming out the back of the speaker. There are several schools of thought on this.

One says to leave it untreated, since this rear wave is essential to the sonic character of the speakers.

Another says to absorb it, get rid of the rear wave entirely (as much as possible, anyway).

Still another says to diffuse it, to keep the rear wave energy in the room, but not let it cause problems with coherent reflections (comb filtering, etc).

My favorite strategy is to use a combination of bass trapping and diffusion. As Glenn says, bass trapping is important on the front wall, but so is diffusion. So the Alpha panels (as thick as possible) are a great choice for sure.

Also, for more about 1D vs. 2D diffusion, this article on my blog might help: The Diffusion Dimension Download

Good luck!

Syrah

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2018, 07:01 pm »
Thanks.  Based on past experience, one big full range absorber dead center between the speakers seems to work well - no idea why.  So I think I might order a FreeStand bass trap for the center (with a finished back), and then two Alphas for behind each speaker (also with finished backs).  That's a bit more blocking the window than I would have liked, but such is this disease.

I can always take the Alphas out of that position and use them on the side walls.