Cap upgrades for Hagerman Bugle 2

StuartB

Cap upgrades for Hagerman Bugle 2
« on: 5 Sep 2015, 08:57 pm »
Hi guys. I just ordered the Bugle 2 phono stage kit. I would like to know if there are recommended cap upgrades that you would recommend. There are space constraints and I would lean to warm vs. analytical. I can't seem to post a new thread on the Hagerman forum.

I also saw a number of posts about upgrading the op amps on the unit. That is kind of a new area for me so would take any recommendations on that as well. Thanks.

StuartB

Re: Cap upgrades for Hagerman Bugle 2
« Reply #1 on: 6 Sep 2015, 01:16 pm »
I don't have the kit in hand yet, but here are what I believe the specs of the caps are:
100nF
220 nF
10nF
100uF

I believe all are film except the 100uF, which I think are polarized Electrolytics

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2015, 12:13 am »
Stuart,

Do the 100uF caps go everywhere the schematic shows 220uF, or does it really use 220uF caps?  I would contact Jim for clarification.  My choice in decoupler bypass would depend on value, and type of electrolytic used for the decoupling.  Are you buying the whole kit, or just the board?  How much gain do you plan to use?

StuartB

« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2015, 01:07 am »
Hi Jeff. Thanks for responding. I don't have the kit yet, but I did order the full kit. I was looking at the parts list to give you the number and specs of the caps. I plan on using 40dB gain. I am looking for the best options in terms of upgrading specific components for the biggest bang for the buck. I have read through the Hagerman forum, but there were all kinds of opinions and not consistent results. I am thinking that I upgrade those components in the audio path. I will give you more info once I get the package and touch base with JH.